collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where do you find pony bags in Goodwill?  (Read 9455 times)

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
Re: Where do you find pony bags in Goodwill?
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 08:58:03 AM »
I find ponies at my Good Will in the big plastic containers in their toy section. I don't find many but when I do it's usually G3 or McDonald's G3. Last time I was there, all I found was a fakie and a ratty looking G3 Scootaloo.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »
I have found ponies at Goodwill on occasion. I once found 3 baby pones each bagged individually with a few accessories. I'f found single loose ponies with the price sticker usually all stick in their hair and crazy. I've also found them in big gallon ziplock bags with lots of other toys. They also sometimes do shoeboxes of toys with the top covered in cleat tape so that it's hard to shake the toys around to see if there's any pony stuff but sometimes you get lucky.

I know its technically wrong, but I open the bags.  I rip open a hole so I can see the condition of the ponies.  And sometimes if there is more than one bag with ponies, I switch them from bag to bag so I can get a good bag of ponies I like.  I've bought too many ponies in bags and get a bag with horrible condition ponies.  None of the employees ever pay attention, and they probably just think its a kid who opened the bags (which is usually the case).  At least I don't switch sticker colors on books and cds like my friend so she can get the color of the week and discount.  =-P

As long as you are switching and not just adding to a bag to make it more full.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 12:21:50 PM »
all the good wills around her hardly carry toys anymore, even up in the big city, they don't have toys there. but i accidentally stumbled upon a thrift store here in town and found a big bin of toys and next to it some stuffed animals. almost walked right past it! the stuffed animals bin had care bears on top which tipped me off, grabbed em all! and the bin next to it had random toys thrown in. mostly mc donalds toys, but i found 4 ponies in there. 3 mc donalds ones and 1 easter g3.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »
I have found ponies at Goodwill on occasion. I once found 3 baby pones each bagged individually with a few accessories. I'f found single loose ponies with the price sticker usually all stick in their hair and crazy. I've also found them in big gallon ziplock bags with lots of other toys. They also sometimes do shoeboxes of toys with the top covered in cleat tape so that it's hard to shake the toys around to see if there's any pony stuff but sometimes you get lucky.

I know its technically wrong, but I open the bags.  I rip open a hole so I can see the condition of the ponies.  And sometimes if there is more than one bag with ponies, I switch them from bag to bag so I can get a good bag of ponies I like.  I've bought too many ponies in bags and get a bag with horrible condition ponies.  None of the employees ever pay attention, and they probably just think its a kid who opened the bags (which is usually the case).  At least I don't switch sticker colors on books and cds like my friend so she can get the color of the week and discount.  =-P

I suppose that depends on the pricing system....if all bags are priced the same no matter what's in them, then I can understand that argument, but most places I've been to that bag toys, the bags are priced by what's in them...so for example, at Value Village, I've seen bags with 3 ponies priced at $3 or more, while bags with 5 random McDonald's toys priced at 99c, or one pony and a few less-desirable toys at $2.

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »
I haven't really been able to find many ponies at Goodwills. There is one Salvation Army that I've repeatedly found some G3's at. I'll have to visit it this weekend, since I've had *some* luck there. There's another thrift store (just a local thing, I think) that has TONS of toys, but I usually find manky Scootaloos and Pinkie Pies as well as the ocassional G3 / 3.5 McDonalds toy. They'll ocasionally store the nicer toys on shelves behind the counter by the toy area, but I've not seen anything there yet.

I honestly have way more luck at Flea Markets. :/

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »

I suppose that depends on the pricing system....if all bags are priced the same no matter what's in them, then I can understand that argument, but most places I've been to that bag toys, the bags are priced by what's in them...so for example, at Value Village, I've seen bags with 3 ponies priced at $3 or more, while bags with 5 random McDonald's toys priced at 99c, or one pony and a few less-desirable toys at $2.

Usually thrift stores value items by size more than anything. So yeah taking a McDs pony and replacing it with a full sized pony does seem shady IMHO. But if there are two bags with a G1 and and a G3 inside them and you can only take one (cause you know most of us would be buying both) I don't think there would be anything wrong with swapping out the G3 in one bag for the G1 in the other bag. A kid would probably rather have the two G3s anyways.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 04:48:44 PM »

Usually thrift stores value items by size more than anything. So yeah taking a McDs pony and replacing it with a full sized pony does seem shady IMHO. But if there are two bags with a G1 and and a G3 inside them and you can only take one (cause you know most of us would be buying both) I don't think there would be anything wrong with swapping out the G3 in one bag for the G1 in the other bag. A kid would probably rather have the two G3s anyways.

Yes, when I switch ponies in bags, its an even switch for size--usually G3s. And price--Most toy bags are usually priced $2.92 or $3.94 (depending on the Gooodwill). I don't add anything extra during the switch.

Ianthe99

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
The goodwills around here rarely have ponies, and when they do, it's G3. (If we are talking the actual Goodwill line of stones and not using goodwill as a general name for a thrift store!) The best thing about Goodwill around here though, is that they seem to have some kind of deal with Target, and they get the damaged target merch! I've found 3 Monster High dolls that way! I had to fix their legs 9they came unstrung!) But who can beat cheap monster High?

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »
The best thing about Goodwill around here though, is that they seem to have some kind of deal with Target, and they get the damaged target merch! I've found 3 Monster High dolls that way! I had to fix their legs 9they came unstrung!) But who can beat cheap monster High?

Several years back I found my G3 Garden Wishes still MIB at a Goodwill! I think they had one or two other MIB ponies but I already had them. I would love an excuse to buy my first MH doll...I'll have to be on the lookout for them at Goodwill now...
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 07:37:15 PM »
Pffft I switch things in bags allll the time. They bag completely arbitrarily usually, just stick things in a bag and slap a price on it. I buy from all the stores so often I make up for whatever I'm switching.

Offline Flutterswirl

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
Our Goodwill has a decent toy selection, usually just down both sides of one aisle plus a rack of .25 toys but a lot of good stuff ends up here. Occasional ponies, mostly McD's but I have found several G3s and G4s in the months since I started collecting.
And ours just started stuffing the little bags of odd toys into boxes so that you have to buy a batch of them instead of bag by bag. :(

Our GW region doesn't seem to be such sticklers about sending valuable things off to auction as some...those who know me from the dollieh board have heard my crazy story of finding *four* nude Silkstone Barbies over the course of a weekend. No way those should have ended up on a toy aisle....

Thanks to *generalzoi\'s Pony Creator at dA for my avatar!

just visiting this planet! (Phl. 3:20)

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »
I've never heard of Goodwill making their own toys =S

I've mostly found G1s there, but most of the time its just McDonalds or fakies. The mixed bag stuff is right in the toy aisle around here, and its pretty rare to see ponies, though I did get very lucky one time.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 05:41:21 AM »
This is why I wish England had a goodwill, carboots are my only option! xxx

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »
Toys at Goodwill around here are either in a big bin, hang in bags, or are shoved on shelves, sometimes employees hide them in by stuffed animals, so they're everywhere... Most common ponies found here are G3's...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »
I've only ever found 1 pony at Goodwill... A G3 plushie of Rainbow Dash. I love that plushie. :) But besides that, I've never found any ponies. I was so disappointed the first time I ever went to Goodwill looking for them and realized that I'm not going to find tons and tons like I anticipated. Now, I just keep looking just in case.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal