collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: blending doll hair  (Read 3132 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
blending doll hair
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:27:18 AM »
how the heck do you blend it? I've got some colours but I want to blend them myself, i tried last time and wasted half it by getting it all tangled and knotty! Is it normal for waste hair while blending? And when rooting, I found some where tangled and I ended up throwing a handful of hair away! :shocked:

how do I blend hair without wastage and how do I root without wastage? :blink:

lilacamy931

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: blending doll hair
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:30:46 AM »
Hi hon I am still new so do waste a little bit (though definitely getting better) to blend it is just taking time easing the stranfds out and practising. How are you blending?

How also are you re-rooting? I use needle thread method and generally dont have problems except on small plugs, again it took a lot of practise for me. hope someone can give solid advice soon x

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:41:56 AM »
Hi hon I am still new so do waste a little bit (though definitely getting better) to blend it is just taking time easing the stranfds out and practising. How are you blending?

How also are you re-rooting? I use needle thread method and generally dont have problems except on small plugs, again it took a lot of practise for me. hope someone can give solid advice soon x
I was using the dollyhair tool, it just got tangled and some slipped away and all that. I tried blending it like i did the mohair, but nylon is far too stiff for that I found >_>;; http://riorondo.com/info/brochures/pdf/HAIRING.PDF

SheRa-dude

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »
I've found that it's always easier to manipulate hair - be it for blending, or rerooting - when it's a bit wet. Wet the hair, comb it out on the table; it makes blending easier.
But maybe someone knows a better technique :)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 07:14:42 AM »
You can't really blend doll hair in the way that is suggested in that tutorial. nylon hair and mohair are two veryy different animals.

The best way to blend pony hair, in my opinion, is just to do it plug by plug. Each plus that you root just use a little bit of each color, or you can alternate plugs. Much easier than trying to blend the hair colors together ahead of time.

Miserati

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 07:27:27 AM »
If I want a light blend I usually use one plug of color A and then divide color B's plug in half or in 1/3 and then root it with color A. I also keep a spray bottle near me and mist a little on color B so it pulls apart easier.

I hope I explained that well. :3

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:00:02 AM »
Huh.. I just take a portion of one color, and a portion of a second color, make sure they are even in length, then grasp it by the middle of the hank. Then I take a fine tooth comb and start combing one half of it while maintaining a firm grasp. If any of it starts slipping or tugging free, then i loop it around one finger so it is more secure, and keep combing. When it starts to look somewhat blended, I let go of the center and take hold about an inch down on the side I was brushing, then I repeat the process on the side I have not brushed. I keep repeating this process till it is pretty well blended. It is time consuming, but if I waste any hair, it's generally only a couple strands. I find that if I wet the hair, it does not blend as well.

That's assuming that you want like a chunk of blended hair to work with.. Otherwise, I do as previously mentioned above, and just blend plug by plug when needed if I am trying to do a gradient blend in the mane.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:02:05 AM by Maniah »

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
Great advice here, it looks like there are several good options :)

Offline Firebyrd

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firebyrd.net
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 07:13:13 PM »
The best option is just to request a blend from Tina.  She can do custom blends with any colors that are in stock.  If it's stuff you've already got around, the others have some good tips, but for future projects, keep the ordering option in mind!

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »
Huh.. I just take a portion of one color, and a portion of a second color, make sure they are even in length, then grasp it by the middle of the hank. Then I take a fine tooth comb and start combing one half of it while maintaining a firm grasp. If any of it starts slipping or tugging free, then i loop it around one finger so it is more secure, and keep combing. When it starts to look somewhat blended, I let go of the center and take hold about an inch down on the side I was brushing, then I repeat the process on the side I have not brushed. I keep repeating this process till it is pretty well blended. It is time consuming, but if I waste any hair, it's generally only a couple strands. I find that if I wet the hair, it does not blend as well.

That's assuming that you want like a chunk of blended hair to work with.. Otherwise, I do as previously mentioned above, and just blend plug by plug when needed if I am trying to do a gradient blend in the mane.

I do a variation on this. I do wet my hair just a wee wee bit to prevent static fly-aways. I brush against my leg or another semi smooth surface. I also lightly twist the strands in the center to help in the blending. I learned it goes easier if my strokes go all the way to the end. Stopping in the middle can cause a lot of knots.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 08:42:56 PM »
Yeah. Never just stop in the middle. What I was trying to describe was me starting in the middle. I learned I get less knots if I brush shorter lengths.

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 12:30:57 AM »
The best way to blend pony hair, in my opinion, is just to do it plug by plug. Each plus that you root just use a little bit of each color, or you can alternate plugs. Much easier than trying to blend the hair colors together ahead of time.
It's what I do too  :) plug by plug since trying to blend them I had the same problem of wasting

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal