collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: BJD FAQ  (Read 20939 times)

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
BJD FAQ
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »
Hopefully this can help people out. There have been a lot of threads with a lot of similar BJD questions lately, so I'm here to compile a list of helpful information to hopefully be a quick reference for everyone.

If you have more generally questions, ask bellow, and I'll add them :)

What is a BJD?:
A BJD, or ball jointed doll, is a doll, of any material (not just resin), that is articulated (jointed) and held together with elastic. These dolls can be anything from animals, to people, to fantasy creatures. In most cases, these dolls are interchangeable wigs and eyes. Their face paint are also removable and can be repainted.

What is an ABJD?:
A ABJD, or Asian Ball Jointed Doll, are ball jointed dolls cast in Asian countries.

Are Pullips, Blythe, Barbie Fashionistas, Monster High, Jenny, etc BJDs?:
No. All of these, and similar dolls who's joints are pieces that snap together, are all "Jointed Fashion Dolls" They are not strung primarily with elastic, which is key feature of BJDs.

What is DoA?:
DoA, or DenofAngels, is, essentially, the hub of the online ABJD community. It contains "The Marketplace" where much of the secondhand buying/selling/and trading happens in the world of BJDs

How do I join DoA?:
DoA is, most often, invitation only. Current members of DoA can send invites to whoever they wish, but they do have a limited number they can send.
They do occasionally have open registration, but I don't believe there is a pattern for when they do that.
(Arena Note: there are several members of the arena that are also DoA members, many will give you an invite if you ask :) [however- I, knibitz, am generally not one of them ^^; Issues with people I've invited in the past put a bad taste in my mouth about inviting people I don't really know])

Are all BJDs welcome on DoA?
No. There is very strict criteria for dolls to be considered "on topic" for DoA.
Please review the off topic information section of the DoA Wikipedia page for more information: http://www.denofangels.com/doawiki/index.php?title=off-topic
Some key requirements are: dolls must be resin, they have to conform to the "Asian aesthetic", they must be entirely jointed at at least 7 points (ankles, knees, hips, wrists, elbows, shoulders, and neck)

There are some situations where dolls were "grandfathered in" meaning that these dolls don't fit the general critieria, but were given special permission to be included. This includes Volks Dollfie Dreams and Obitsu dolls that are 43cm and larger.

How Big Are BJDs?
BJD sizes are generally separated into several categories

Tinies - <25cm
YOSDs (Young Super Dollfies*) ~25cm tall (1/6 scale)
MSDs (Mini Super Dollfies*)- ~40cm tall (1/4 scale)
SDs (Super Dollfies*)-  ~60cm tall (1/3 scale)
70cm, 80cm, 90cm+ - as stated
*the terms YOSD, MSD, and SD are Volks (www.volksusa.com) specific sizes. However the have been adopted as universal size categorization for ABJDs.

Are BJDs fragile?
This is a really relative term. These dolls are most often made of resin, and though stronger than glass, it has much less give than a plastic fashion doll. If you doll does fall, it will run the risk of breaking, but just how fragile your doll is really depends on how you view fragility.

How much are BJDs?
BJDs costs are all relative depending on an endless amount of factors. Prices can range between 30$ to 3,500$ and beyond.

Where can you buy BJDs?
Here is a fantastic list of BJD companies and dealers:http://www.bjdcollectasy.com/bjd-companies
Most companies will sell their dolls through their website, however some companies, like DollZone, only go through dealers.

How do you size BJD Eyes/Wigs?
go to the product page of the doll you are buying, they should point out at least eye size, if not both.
For wigs, the general rule of thumb is SD+ = 8-9 or 9-10, MSD = 7-8 or 6-7, YOSD = 6-7, anything under that size, you're going to want to look at the product page for your doll.

the numbers in the wig size mean it starts at #inches and can stretch to #inches (most wigs have elasticized wig caps) so an 8-9 wig is 8in in circumference, but can stretch to 9inches.
You're going to want to buy your doll a wig where it lands in the middle. (Ie: if you're doll has a 7.8in circumference head, then you should buy it a 7-8 wig.)

Where do you buy clothes/wigs/eyes?
there are an endless amount of places where you can buy wigs/eyes/clothes/etc
Here are some lists from the DoA Wikipedia

Shops: http://www.denofangels.com/doawiki/index.php?title=Independent_shops
Other "non bjd" shops that still sell things that work: http://www.denofangels.com/doawiki/index.php?title=Non-BJD_shops

Ebay (www.ebay.com) is also an excellent resource for BJD items
Etsy (www.etsy.com) is another great resource for BJD items, especially for those who are looking for handmade and unique items.

What is a Face Up?
the term "Face Up" is derived from the term "Make up" and is the non-permanent painted on features of your BJDs face.
BJDs are blank when they are first made, and then they are "painted" by a person.
Here is a fantastic tutorial of how to do a "face up": http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=bjd+face+up+tutorial#/d2wa5gc

How to pack a BJD for shipping?
There are a number of different ways you can pack a BJD for shipping.

In most cases, when a doll comes from a company, it will come fully assembled in a doll box where the doll is packed securely (either with pillows and bubblewrap, packing peanuts and bubble wrap, custom cut foam insert, and more) and then that boxed is placed in another box called a "shipper" which is the exterior box that is shipped.

When it comes time to ship your doll for any reason, you are going to need bubblewrap! and lots of it!
Make sure the bubble wrap is clean if you are reusing it! Bubblewrap can stain dolls if it has traces of left over dyes or paints from other things it's wrapped before (learn from my mistakes!).
Wrap the legs with just one layer individually, then wrap the torso, down to hte legs together.  Make bubblewrap "mittens" to go over the dolls hands, then with the arms down at the side, wrap the dolls torso and legs once again using a generous amount of wrap, the finally wrap the head.

If your doll has a face up or eyelashes, use a face protector (either a doll face protector, or a bubble shaped drink lid also works) wrap your dolls head, around and under the chin, first with a bit of bubblewrap, then put the face mask on. Make sure it is not touching the face or the lashes. If the face mask has elastic with it, use that to hold it in place, or use a strip of bubble wrap taped to either side of the mask to hold it on. then bubble wrap a bit more around the head.

Lay your doll in the box, use the pillows it came with if you still have them, then close the box up, put it in a shipper, and you're ready to go.

Shipping a doll unstrung:
an option many people do for shipping dolls they own is to completely unstring them. Most dolls will fit in a priority flat rate box this way, and it's a great way to ship a doll if you don't have the original box.
When doing this you generally have to be very careful that you don't mix up the left and right sides of the limbs.
Unstring your doll and leave it in anatomical position.
Wrap each piece individually and either label them as you go (just on a piece of masking tape or sticky note on the outside of each wrapped piece) or group them together at the end and label "left/right"

To keep track of the 5 loose S-hooks, I recommend  using a little bit of tack/putty and sticking them to the inside of the head. However, some people put the elastic and the S-hooks in a baggy.

alternatively, you can just remove the legs from the doll, package those, tie the elastic at the "crotch" and then your doll will fit in a flat rate box.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:16:04 PM by Knibitz »

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: BJD FAQ
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:04:48 PM »
*bows to the BJD guru*

Offline Private_Bubbles

• Scribbles Pony
  • I'm Bubbles, Private Bubbles.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:24:59 AM »
Great post, this should be stickied :D

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
Great post, this should be stickied :D

Agreed!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »
Thank you sosososo much for this, Knibitz. I imagine it must be a little boring for you sometimes, answering the same questions from us over and over!! I really really do appreciate it, though :lovey:

Regarding the questions - do you know when DoA will begin letting new users in again? I really would like to order my doll in the next month or so, but I want to (a) make sure she's going to look good, since I want one doll's body and another's head, and (b) search for some spam of both of them, so I know I want them!! It's a little frustrating that I can't get into the community at all :(

Thanks again, though <3

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Knibitz

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »
Thank you sosososo much for this, Knibitz. I imagine it must be a little boring for you sometimes, answering the same questions from us over and over!! I really really do appreciate it, though :lovey:

Regarding the questions - do you know when DoA will begin letting new users in again? I really would like to order my doll in the next month or so, but I want to (a) make sure she's going to look good, since I want one doll's body and another's head, and (b) search for some spam of both of them, so I know I want them!! It's a little frustrating that I can't get into the community at all :(

Thanks again, though <3

I honestly love educating people :D it never gets boring for me.
Helping all of you keeps me from rambling off to my friends and family who don't give a hoot about dolls at all. LOL

as far as registration. I don't think they go by a clock, I think it's just "whenever they feel like it"... but I could be wrong.
I do believe, however, that they may make an update on their facebook when registration is open publicly, so you can add them on there and get updates :)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Den-of-Angels/99547970775

Offline barbgirl1999

• Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »
Okay, here's a question for you...what's the difference in an SD and SD13 sized doll?  I'm looking at clothes for the doll I'm getting ready to buy and I'm wondering what size to get him.  Some sites say he's an SD, others and SD13.  Are they one in the same?  I don't want the poor dear to end up with capri pants when I was aiming for jeans!  LOL

~Rodan+Fields~

Knibitz

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »
Okay, here's a question for you...what's the difference in an SD and SD13 sized doll?  I'm looking at clothes for the doll I'm getting ready to buy and I'm wondering what size to get him.  Some sites say he's an SD, others and SD13.  Are they one in the same?  I don't want the poor dear to end up with capri pants when I was aiming for jeans!  LOL

SD can be broken down into SD10 and SD13
SD13 is a bit bulkier and teeny bit taller than SD10.

SDF is more SD13 size, and for boys, you're going to want to shop SD13 if you can for things that don't stretch.

Most companies that sell things broken down just into "YOSD, MSD, SD" will make their SD Boy clothes SD13 size, and their SD Girl clothes SD10 size.
For example, my SD10 sized boys (Soom Gem body, and Fantasy Doll Body) both wear SD girl pants and SD girl shoes.
My SD13 sized boys (Volks SD13, and Angel of Dream Body) both wear SD boy pants and SD boy shoes.

If you want me to get a comparison photo of my SD10 sized boys and SD13 sized boys I can, so you can see the differences better :)

Offline barbgirl1999

• Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »
A comparison shot would be awesome when you get the chance, just so I can see.  At least I know I'm shopping the right size though, haha!

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
Oh! I have one. (more) Should I expect my BJDs to come with seams? I hear people talk about them, but I don't see anything about it on the dolls that I want to buy pages.

Knibitz

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »
Barb:

(please forgive my dolls naked disgustingly dirty bodies OnO - I need a dolly spa day soon... the dolls are all getting kinda grubby)
(your left to right) 
Soom Gem boy body (SD10) with a Migidoll Ryu head
Fantasy Doll, single jointed, boy body (SD10) with a Luts Senior Delf Winter event head of 2009
Angel of Dream boy body (SD13) with a Luts Senior Delf Summer event head of 2009
Volks SD13 Boy Body* (SD13) with Volks SD13 Heath head

*Volks actually makes 2 versions of the SD13 boy body - A short leg, and long leg version. This is the short leg version, which is the standard version.  This is not my Heath's original body, and heath was originally sold on the long leg body. The only difference between the two bodies if a few centimeters of length added to the leg parts. Otherwise they are the exact same.

WP - BJD seams are different for every company. Seams are the result of how the liquid resin settles in the mold that the doll is poured into. Different companies, and every different batches of dolls, can have different "severity" of seams.
Some companies will sand their dolls so they're seamless before they send them, but it isn't entirely common.
Some owners choose to sand seams when the dolls get to them, taking very fine grade sandpaper and evening them out* others, like myself, just leave the seams and just accept that it's part of the doll. Seams will grind down naturally over time.
seams are almost always on the sides if your doll, so you'll never have a seam in the middle of their face, generally on the head the seam runs in-front of or behind their ears, if they have a seam at all on their head.

As far as Luts seam sanding, I do not believe they do. None of my delfs have been sanded, I don't believe, so that leads me to believe your SDFs wont be.

WARNING: Resin dust is VERY dangerous when inhaled, make SURE to be outside and have a proper mask and eye protection when sanding or modifying any resin
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:05:20 PM by Knibitz »

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:38:41 PM »
Thank you ^^ and I also agree with the sticky vote ^^

SuniMoon

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
I have juuust the question for you.... See this lovely wig?
http://www.mintoncardinc.com/dolls/item_details.php?BJD=1329&name=DZ+Wig+W60-30917B+%288%2F9%29&cat=124&DOLL=YES

It is exactly what I neeeeeed. Only problem is, the doll I need it for is supposed to have a head measuring 9.4 inches around, making 9/10 a more appropriate wig size.

But there are no wigs for 9/10 dolls, that I can find, in the style I need.

Now, I'm used to fur wigs. I've made them for both my obitsus, my monster high dolls, and my MSD. I only have one wig type wig, and it's obitsu size, but stretchy.

I know it probably varies by brand, but do you think an 8/9 wig would have enough stretch to fit a head that size? Or is it probably not worth the risk?

Thanks for you time in advance. :3

Knibitz

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »
I'm not sure about dollzone wigs, I've never owned one, but you should be OK. I do know they have elastic wig caps.
most dolls that can wear 9/10 wigs can squeeze in most 8/9s as well
My SD13 nono's head circumferential is almost exactly 10in. But I can squeeze her in 8/9 wigs (leekeworld and cancan)

It should work, but you may need to put a rubberband around your dolls head or use sticky tack to keep the wig from slipping off.
If you let me know what doll you're looking to wig, I can probably tell you concretely.

ETA: And just so you're aware, dollzone wigs are not always the best quality.  If you want, I'll help you find a high quality wig that looks similar :) Should be easy.

ETA2: Some options from cancan:
Just about the exact same: http://www.cancan-jseries.net/product_info.php?cPath=29_92&products_id=1664
more silvery grey: http://www.cancan-jseries.net/product_info.php?cPath=29_92&products_id=2622
Mixed grey: http://www.cancan-jseries.net/product_info.php?cPath=29_92&products_id=2614

I actually own this same wig in a different color and it fits on my Volks SD13 Nono (note: it's also 5 years old and still looks fantastic when I actually bother to comb it out): http://www.flickr.com/photos/25705762@N03/5923567680/in/set-72157626828009720

on my Delf Soony, who's also supposed to wear 9-10 wigs: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6210/6131046944_c74e8cd2a9_z.jpg
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:44:19 PM by Knibitz »

SuniMoon

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.

I actually just found a leekeworld wig similar to what I want in stock on Denverdoll, although I'm not sure the length on this wig. It's the W-025 Dori, and they have it in grey...

I'm pretty much looking for long-ish, wavey, and grey. But knowing that a 8/9 can work certainly opens the door up a lot wider, I was finding next to nothing for any larger wigs.

EDIT: Thanks for the links!

Post Merge: February 21, 2012, 10:00:24 PM

Oh, and I'm needing a wig for a dollzone Ying.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:00:24 PM by SuniMoon »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal