collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Animal Swap! (Complete!)  (Read 21723 times)

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
Re: Animal Swap! (Partners sent, get to work!)
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2012, 05:05:52 AM »
as hopefully it was obvious in my form, I'm ok with colors - just not pink ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 05:09:03 AM »
I pretty much feel as Griffin does, if you want to incorporate my favorite colors into the custom go for it; I just want the animal to be realistic and not cartoony.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2012, 06:01:47 AM »
I pretty much feel as Griffin does, if you want to incorporate my favorite colors into the custom go for it; I just want the animal to be realistic and not cartoony.

Well, it's kinda hard to say that, for example, a purple zebra is realistic. Either you go realistic or not.

Offline Alexia

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://easternsunsetcreations.webs.com/
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2012, 06:53:06 AM »
I would prefer more realistic colors on the animal, if you can incorporate my favorites into the rest of the pony thats fine.

Offline Tiella

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »
There has been some confusion and I have gotten some questions. I originally intended for this swap to have natural/realistic animals. Unless your partner requests specifically for a purple giraffe or something along those lines let's try and stick with natural animals. I added the favorite colors category on the form more so for the painting category if people wanted to base the body and or hair color on their partner's favorite colors. I am sorry if I confused people, this is my first time hosting a swap and I am trying to get it all right. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me privately.

Offline Alexia

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://easternsunsetcreations.webs.com/
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 08:13:25 AM »
oooh Brilliant idea has struck! If only I wasn't at work!!

Offline Dee_Kary

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://deekary.deviantart.com
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »
Got my partner :D ill start thinking what to do now! Ill message you later on Tiella with a question :) once I'm out of work.

Thanks to Rainbowjuice and SourdoughStomper for the sigs, and moonflower for the avie!
My deviantart / Commissions: Closed

Offline AllyKat

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
    • AllyKat Designs
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 09:24:56 PM »
I prefer natural colours, personally.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 03:32:49 AM »

Well, it's kinda hard to say that, for example, a purple zebra is realistic. Either you go realistic or not.

(First of all, I apologize for getting nitpicky, especially after Tiella has already addressed the issue.)

I usually refer to my style as 'semi-realistic' because I often use black lines, and I know I'll never be capable of true realism, only feeble attempts. So I won't even try, I rather stick to the realistic elements I'm able to incorporate and allow myself to stylize the rest. Technically, if there's lineart involved, you cannot call that 'realism', but I doubt that any of us wants to define realism that strictly in this context. For the purposes of this swap (the painting category), I wouldn't mind, say, an impressionistic style, or something along those lines. It's not realism, but with a few brushstrokes you can achieve remarkably lifelike results, or at least an illusion of lifelikeness. You can even use some crazy colours and still make it look like a real animal.

And because animal art is always awesome, let me share some pics. Hope these inspire those, too, who are not interested in this whole realism vs. non-realism issue. :) The first three represent realism, the other three do not, yet I believe they're still something that would be allowed in this swap. Of course, everyone has to decide for themselves what they want or do not want to receive.

Arwen and Cormic by nikkiburr, Home Sweet Home by Denis Mayer Jr., Evening Elegance - Tundra Swans by Nambroth.

Nighty deer. by mizzachita, Sonora by qaltag, Rainbow Zebra by ladymeow.

However, we're only talking about MLP customs here after all. It's really not that serious even if I'm making it sound like it is... Sorry for that. :D

Anyway, after discarding my first plan, I'm actually done with my sketch and I must say I looove it! I just hope I'm able to actually transfer the design onto the real pony, lol. It's one thing to draw the symbol in pencil in that scale - painting that won't be nearly as easy. But let's see how it goes. ^^

I have the bait and the hair ready, too. I hope I shall find some time to sit down and start painting soon.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Tiella

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2012, 04:16:32 AM »
I agree with you Griffin, I never meant realism in the traditional way as we will need some black outlines and such. More along the lines of "let's make the animals look as they are meant to look, not like donald duck". Does that make any sense?

Goodness those pictures are inspiring, makes me wonder if I could paint like that! You might see some traditional art from me soon! I would love to try oils again someday, I was rather good with them in my teens but that was so long ago...watercolors were never my forte though.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2012, 04:21:59 AM »
I love watercolours myself, definitely my preferred medium. ^^ I have never tried oils, might be fun. Acrylics are not really my thing (how funny is that), or maybe it's just that I haven't found a good way to work with them - maybe I expect them to behave like watercolours, which they do not, of course. I should try some new styles and techniques to make them work.

I'd love to see some of your paintings, Tiella!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »
Those fenec sculptures are so adorable, and I LOVE that rainbow Zebra. Cant wait to see what everyone makes!!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline Dee_Kary

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://deekary.deviantart.com
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
Ohhh i like the idea of "colorful realism"! :D if my partner wants to do that, I'll gladly take it ^^

Post Merge: March 13, 2012, 07:36:06 PM

Natural colors will be well accepted as well :) whatever my partner wants to do I'll be happy to receive it ^^
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:36:06 PM by Dee_Kary »

Thanks to Rainbowjuice and SourdoughStomper for the sigs, and moonflower for the avie!
My deviantart / Commissions: Closed

Offline JSplit

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2012, 09:34:28 AM »
I'm torn between two ideas. I think I know which one my partner would like better but I'm nervous I won't be able to execute it well enough... decisions, decisions

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal