collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Best Pliers Ever [Interest?]  (Read 2183 times)

Roses

• Trade Count: (0)
The Best Pliers Ever [Interest?]
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »
And technically they're clamps!

I'm not exactly sure this goes here, but when I used to haunt like mad years ago there were rehairing tools posted here, so I hope this qualifies x3

So back when the FIM sets were first coming out I found out my handy needlenose pliers were waaay too big for the bitty heads. I really don't like the 'rehairing tool' method, where you trust the glue to hold your precious hours of work in, so finding pliers small enough was my top priority. My boy and I then went on an epic quest to find a smaller needlenose. We couldn't, but what we did find was something called a 'scissor clamp'. We cut  the clamp part off and boom, instant best rehairing devise I have ever owned.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

While at the tips they are the same width, the scissor clamp keeps narrow, allowing to shove it all up into that pony's business. And when I say 'business' I mean 'decapitated head'.

My old pliers, hopelessly inadequate. I couldn't even open them in the slightest anywhere near the roots.

My new baby, with tons of room. Mind you, this is not a perfectly unaltered head. I cut away a little at the inside ring of the head. Only just a bit, and not only does it make getting the head back on the doodlywiddly neckplug nub easier, but you get more movement room for the pliers. The best part is, you can still have rotating heads.

A better look at the inside. Also, my finger says 'hello'. Anyways, as you can see I did shave a tiny layer out, but it still works perfectly for the rotatey head. Also look at all of that glorious wiggle room. These pliers easily reach all of the roots with enough room to actually open them and tug them out.

So, I have no idea if anyone else has posted about these, or even sold them, because I haven't done arena haunting in like... a year. I don't remember. The important bit would be, though, is there any interest in these?

Just a quick aside, this is where the clamp tabs got cut off. As you can see, it's perfectly sanded down and not pointy and dangerous.
[img2]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/bluepenciltrash/MLP/clampremoval.jpg[/img2]

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Pliers Ever [Interest?]
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »
A lot of us use those actually. I have a set of straight and curved tips. They really are better for ripping out hair than screwdrivers or pliers XD
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Roses

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:59:34 PM »
I figured there were a lot of the like out there, but these ones specifically I found at a rather odd hardware store, and had no idea if there were accessibility for them for others.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »
I get mine at a sporting goods store, and there are people who get em at walmart. Hemostats are really easy to get a hold of, but that's really nice of you to offer them to people who might have a hard time finding them :)

Roses

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »
Well wouldja look at that, they are hemostats. Heh, at the place I found them they were just scissor clamps.

Do people cut the clamp parts off? Because that nonsense is annoying.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
I don't cause I actually use the clamp part  when I'm getting the hair out, since I'm clumsy and WILL pinch myself if i don't. haha.

Roses

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
Iiiinteresting

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »
My mum (who is a nurse) got me some surgical clamps from work TROLOLOLOLOL...they're awesome for tearing out hair.
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 04:25:58 PM »
iv been meaning to buy a pair of these..
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »
I could used a curved set.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 05:06:44 PM »
Hemostats!  I have a pair that I use for fly fishing (helps hold the fly still while you're putting it on the line or taking it out of the fish's lip to let it go) and they're great.  I bought another un-fishy pair before I ever started my first custom.  Don't know what I would do without them  :)  I love that they latch closed, that way I can hook onto the hair and then use both hands to pull like mad!

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
My pair I got in the fishing section at walmart.  They're nice and thin, they lock, and they have rubber grips on them.  They reach all the way up into the heads of styling ponies, but are still thin enough to fit into the G4 heads.  Best.Pliers.Ever.

Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 06:10:48 PM »
I don't cause I actually use the clamp part  when I'm getting the hair out, since I'm clumsy and WILL pinch myself if i don't. haha.

See I use the clamp part so I can really pull at stubborn hair.  I also use them to glue leather and such and use the clamp to make it stay shut till the glue sets.  I do need another pair though.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 11:29:58 PM »
It's such a shame, I am NEVER able to find hemostats!! :P I ended up buying the 'extra long needle nose pliers' from Dollyhair, and I've been happy ever since. They're just perfect! (But I have jewelry pliers too, just in case.)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 01:08:01 AM »
Omg. I have been wanting pliers like that forever!! I have bought at least 5 pairs of pliers always hoping theywould be the magical ones that fit like cinderellas slipper. No luck. I have never seen them in any store I have been to.

I would totally buy a pair without the locking device cut off. I have envied hose pliers ever since I saw okiegurls video on rehairing g4s.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal