collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MOAR questions!  (Read 1540 times)

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
MOAR questions!
« on: February 14, 2012, 06:33:08 AM »
So I have been trolling and totally seen everypony talking about Rit dying ponies. Now I Googled rit dye and seems it's a brand. I have some really lush-looking Dylon indigo fabric dye at home, a different brand, and was wondering if anyone knew how I should use it (or not) on a pony? I'm dying a white G1 purple (obviously purple sheesh I'm a ditz) and need advices! It's the powder stuff you mix with salt?  (Edit: I have read the rit dye guide, just wondering if it works with other brands!)

I also bought a cheapy-cheap airbrushing thingy last night to see if I like it/can actually do it. Once I dye a pony (assuming it's even possible with the stuff I have) can I then airbrush in gradients?

Thirdly (omgosh does she ever stop asking things?!) can I scuplt on top of a paint job (Milliput) or should I always sculpt first? Totally started off scuplting first and then painted, and now I;m thinking I might want to add more and don't wanna have to sand off 7 layers of paint!

Thanks in advance for your pony knowledge goodness <3  :what:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:37:39 AM by StrawberryMeadow »

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: MOAR questions!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:55:11 AM »
I have heard mixed things about dylon. Apparently it used to be sold in tins and the stuff in tins worked on ponies, but now it's sold in plastic packets and the new stuff no longer works. Someone in the UK or elsewhere may have to confirm that.

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:17:03 AM »
Ohno! It's the packet stuff I have!  :cloud:

creampuf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:26:40 AM »
So I have been trolling and totally seen everypony talking about Rit dying ponies. Now I Googled rit dye and seems it's a brand. I have some really lush-looking Dylon indigo fabric dye at home, a different brand, and was wondering if anyone knew how I should use it (or not) on a pony? I'm dying a white G1 purple (obviously purple sheesh I'm a ditz) and need advices! It's the powder stuff you mix with salt?  (Edit: I have read the rit dye guide, just wondering if it works with other brands!) 

No idea about Dylon brand but I would assume ti's the same kind of mixture and process. You can use any tips on using Rit Dye for Dylon and should have the same kind fo results but you may need to add in more powder or have a longer boiling time or whatever.

I also bought a cheapy-cheap airbrushing thingy last night to see if I like it/can actually do it. Once I dye a pony (assuming it's even possible with the stuff I have) can I then airbrush in gradients? 

Only after you let the pony sit around for a month or ideally longer. Dye will bleed into paint if it doesn't get time to soak.

Thirdly (omgosh does she ever stop asking things?!) can I scuplt on top of a paint job (Milliput) or should I always sculpt first? Totally started off scuplting first and then painted, and now I;m thinking I might want to add more and don't wanna have to sand off 7 layers of paint!

Thanks in advance for your pony knowledge goodness <3  :what:

It's a pony a piece..some paint first then sculpt but be warned sculpting can be messy and you run the risk of ruining a great paint job. Some will paint first then sculpt remembering to seal the paint job first and then very carefully holding the pony in one clean hand and the sculpting in another. It's a delicate balancing act that way.

Hope it helps!

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:38:48 AM »
thank you for you help :) I think without pestering everyone on the forums, I'm probably best just trying to dye my pony and then I guess if it doesn't take I'll just paint her. You're totally right about the messiness of the scuplting: don't know how common sense didn't point that out to me in the first place! :zzz:

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
I actually dislike dying ponies. I know that some people do it.. But I have grown to detest it.. It does make for a beautiful even color.. IF you are lucky. Sometimes the plastic of the pony is not even.. Im not sure what it is.. Maybe harder in some spots than others? Whatever the reason, the dye sometimes doesn't like to take tot he plastic. This can also happen if you have any glue spots, or oily spots on the pony.

Also, sometimes the head comes out a different color than the body, even if they go in at the same time. Im guessing the plastics were from two different batches? No idea why it does this.

And yes, the dye bleeds. You really do have to wait months to paint on top of it. Also, if you have a dyed pony touching another pony, the dye can bleed onto the other ponies.

Nice thing about the dye? You can do a gradient dye job on your pony. You can hold the pony and slowly lower it into the water. For example, feet first, super slow.. The gradient will be dark feet fading up to a light body.

I have also been able to use Q-Tips to swab the dye onto the ponies eyelids like mascara. You have to rub hard and apply it a lot to get it to take, but it's worked.

As beautiful as the gradient can be, and as nice as it is to not have brush strokes.. I refuse to dye ponies anymore because of the bleeding. Maybe someone else has a tip on how to avoid the bleeding, but I don't know it :(
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:04:02 AM by Maniah »

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
That's very helpful feedback, thank you! Maybe I won't dye her after all....... Poor bunny hop....  :sad:  I'll find a way to make her beautiful!  :art:

Offline Firebyrd

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firebyrd.net
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »
I completely agree with Maniah.  Dye is terrible.  Even when you do manage to get a nice color, it doesn't last.  I've got customs I've had for years that had a nice even color when they first arrived that have become fairly splotchy over the years.  And that's even if you manage to get it even in the first place, without glue or weird properties of the plastic affecting things.

Also, you need to attach sculpture to the pony directly.  If there's paint between the pony and the clay, the clay is going to be attached to the paint, not the vinyl.  That's a much, much weaker bond that can easily lead to the sculpted part falling off, especially with cheaper paints that have a poor quality bonding agent.  Don't sand your paint job off, just carefully use a q-tip and some 97% rubbing alcohol.  It does remove acrylic paint, but it's not as quick and harsh as things like acetone so it gives you a bit more leeway, plus it will also clean the surface so that there isn't any residue of anything left that might affect your sculpting.

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
I completely agree with Maniah.  Dye is terrible.  Even when you do manage to get a nice color, it doesn't last.  I've got customs I've had for years that had a nice even color when they first arrived that have become fairly splotchy over the years.  And that's even if you manage to get it even in the first place, without glue or weird properties of the plastic affecting things.

Also, you need to attach sculpture to the pony directly.  If there's paint between the pony and the clay, the clay is going to be attached to the paint, not the vinyl.  That's a much, much weaker bond that can easily lead to the sculpted part falling off, especially with cheaper paints that have a poor quality bonding agent.  Don't sand your paint job off, just carefully use a q-tip and some 97% rubbing alcohol.  It does remove acrylic paint, but it's not as quick and harsh as things like acetone so it gives you a bit more leeway, plus it will also clean the surface so that there isn't any residue of anything left that might affect your sculpting.

I agree with everything Firebyrd has posted. :) I would avoid dye and sculpt first, paint second. ;)
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 01:23:58 AM »
Thank you everypony, your input is very very appreciated. <3

Tried airbrushing last night..... Am I the only person who got an instant addiction?! I WANT TO AIRBRUSH EVERYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.....  :dribble: :frolic:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal