collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Looking for advice for doll clothes ^w^  (Read 1606 times)

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Looking for advice for doll clothes ^w^
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
I am designing two outfits that I am going to commission from a friend for the two BJDs I am going to purchase. I would eventually like to get lots of clothes for them, but due to cost and what not, I am going to get my characters basic outfits first. The thing is, I am not exactly sure what all I want, and I would like to get y'alls opinions.

Their characters live in Europe in the 1500s.

For the female, I am trying to decide between an overbust corset or a cincher (similar in concept, but smaller than an underbust corset) and her clothes are mainly blue tones.

The male is going to have a poet shirt, but should it be black or white? And I need to decide on the accent color for his vest. I am really leaning towards red, but one of my friends suggested metalics or earth tones.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:31:01 PM by WeepingPiano »

Offline LilSpark

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Taste the Rainbow!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for advice and a question about post
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
Of course :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Looking for advice and a question about post
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »
*pulls up a chair* ASK AWAY!

FlyingPonyMonster

Re: Looking for advice for doll clothes ^w^
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »
White shirt for the man definitely, more in keeping with the time :)
Over bust corset I think - this is the one that sits over the gown?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:26:41 AM »
Google to see what dye colors were available in the 1500's - some bright colors may not be appropriate.  A lot of the colors used in textiles are "earthy" - the pigments were sourced naturally.  :)  Keep in mind that dependent on your character's social class, there were different colors available as well.  For example, nobody wore indigo/purple, as that was a color reserved for royalty and the upper-most classes.  They honestly really DID have fashion police way back then!  :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »
He is a noble, but more in that non-descript noble way. Like a land owner with lots of land and old money.

And the overbust corset can go outside or inside of clothes (depending) but the overbust literally covers the bust, while underbust sits under and does not cover the bust.

Rainsong

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 07:37:41 AM »
Given the land owner/etc line, I'd go with a natural linen tone or something just a little darker, but remember it should also compliment the doll itself. If you go that way for a shirt, you could see if a deep brown or golden-type color would tie in on the vest, but I'd lean more towards a dusty green or a dark green. It works with the land owner thing (if that means farming) and greens and browns work well together- you don't want to over do the browns.

If I remember right, red is/was a harder color to get, so you'd need to use a darker, less eye-popping red. A dusty/dusky deeper red would work with the above beautifully, but may be socially/fashionably incorrect.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal