collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who are the "Oldie Moldies"?  (Read 27090 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the "Oldie Moldies"?
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2012, 11:53:43 PM »
Haha Mystagic! That is exactly how I remembered you! Because I used to ALWAYS admire your avatar/persona! I thought the color was striking with the rainbow hair! :D

I still have my old Blinkie that Pinwheel made me back in the day lol!

I agree we should all have tea and a reunion!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline EStRanger

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2012, 12:59:44 AM »
Aww, thank you, Mermaid! And OMgosh Pinwheel's Blinkies! You should totally post yours up! I should go try to find the other pictures I did back in the Ponypeople days....I remember I had this goal to draw every single ponysona of the members in the 90s. Of course, it was a lot easier when we only had about sixty members, many of whom didn't have a pony persona at the time. XD A lot of people probably don't even have their old pony identities from way back then, but I actually still use Rainribbon as a fic/roleplaying character to this day. All of my original characters have changed dramatically since I was 16, except for her. There's just something about ponies that makes you want to retain their innocence no matter how much you yourself grow up. :) But I don't think I have to tell you or any of the other members that!

Wow...I just realized...if I was 16 when I got into online pony fandom, and I'm 32 now....I've been part of the online MLP scene for half my life. That's a long time to spend with you wonderful people, and yet it doesn't feel like more than a day has passed. Thank you all for making me part of this wonderful family. =^^=

Jeez, is it really almost 4 AM?! I'd better drag myself off to bed. Good night!
Don't look for me!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2012, 04:52:03 AM »

Wow...I just realized...if I was 16 when I got into online pony fandom, and I'm 32 now....I've been part of the online MLP scene for half my life.

I was coming to the same kind of realisation earlier this week - I'm 30 on Thursday, and I made my first forays online at fifteen...that is quite a scary thought ><.

What's really interesting about this thread is the number of people who have changed their name. I know most of the old names of people but wouldn't have realised who they were because of the new ones. Mainly because of ponypeople mailing list perhaps..? Surfstar, I totally remember you as TAF Seashell xD. And Mysteagic, I remember you as Rainribbon too, as well as the Ryou-ouki thing for some reason...maybe because I saw Tenchi Muyou around that time too...hrm.

Quote from: Mermaid
Taffeta! I remember looking up to you so much back in the day haha. I used to think you were some MLP Goddess. :P You still hold that image to me to this day!
Yeeps o.O. I guess you didn't read too many of my rant posts then >.> I was pretty well known for typing before speaking and for rushing into situations. I was too young, too naive and gullible, and hadn't been diagnosed autistic yet, so I could be pretty high maintenance and I did get manipulated into situations without realising until MUCH later what had actually taken place. Learning curve, ne...

It's really nice to be remembered, though, especially fondly (rather than as that brat who typed too much, which I think is how most people saw me back then xDD). *gives cookies* =D.

What I loved most about being around at that time was being able to be involved in the "international discovery" of the UK MLPs, which is the same kind of thing the Nirvana experts are involved in doing now. Discovering "new" pony variations, and helping publicise those to the rest of the pony comm was something I was really passionate about doing...that and actually being able to obtain for the first time ponies I'd grown up knowing about but which weren't sold over here. I'd like to think that even if I ranted and was tactless and sometimes did stuff people didn't understand, I did something positive with the UK pony info at least.

I must try and get the rest of the scrapbook fixed up when my course is done, too. Of course, it would help if my webhost hadn't taken down a bunch of the new stuff I added last Sept without warning...sigh...

Incidentally, ponypeople mailing list is still so ingrained into my memory that I still call pony collectors "ponypeople" even now...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2012, 07:08:34 AM »
If you ever read or contributed to the MLP Monthly Newsletter, Tabby still has up the archives:
http://www.fakiespaceman.com/dv/monthly.htm

I was reading through some of the old stuff I wrote back in 1998 (when I was JDKoester at aol...)... Oh my gosh, I sound so stupid!  LoL  I guess that's what happens when you are barely a teenager and love to write :)  It's fun to laugh at myself though.  Those were good times!

Offline babydibbles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2012, 01:29:35 PM »
Ohhhh It's going to be a long night reading through those archived newsletters! I used to love the puzzles section!

I still have the same pony name, and wonder if anyone else picked it up over the years. Wildfire made my blinkie which is still seen here! :)
Baby Dibbles since \'96 visitors can't see pics , please register or login

*thank you wildfire for my blinkie!  
**currently looking for MIB dibbles/nibbles

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »
Sugarberry, I still have fond memories of meeting up with you back when my husband and I lived in Santa Clara, California. :)

Eternity

It sure was a real pleasure to meet you and your husband and to see your collection Eternity.  :)  My mother and I met so many sweet friends on that trip out there.  If you ever get up towards Illinois, I'd love for you to come by and let me be the hostess for your visit. 

And Taffeta, no twist- and there's much you didn't know about it, and probably more that's been forgotten- which is a good thing.  I just chose not to elaborate on the 3 years of ongoings.  *Many* folks wandered into those boards and got snapped at for their commentary on it, so to explain to her why she got snapped at for the comment on the Mimic thing- well, in the simplest of terms, that's why- as an indirect result from all the flames that happened there. It wasn't all about Italian ponies either, but much of that's better off left in the past.  ;)  If you really want to know, I'll write it out for you in PM. 

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2012, 03:41:02 PM »

Incidentally, ponypeople mailing list is still so ingrained into my memory that I still call pony collectors "ponypeople" even now...

:heart:  ponypeople mailing list...  :heart:  I spent just about every afternoon after high school catching up on the latest from ponypeople.

I can't believe how far my collection has come since those afternoons, lol.

Offline SummerSkye

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
I remember when the arena was created but there were plenty of people that were "oldbies" even then! I took a break at the end of the g3 line when everything became a core 7 reissue. Don't own a single 3.5 either and don't care to. The FiM stuff is ok but theres just something special about g1s, especially Nirvanas.
You know, I hated the constant g3 reissues but I would have killed for g1 reissues (in alt poses).   :blush:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »

And Taffeta, no twist- and there's much you didn't know about it, and probably more that's been forgotten- which is a good thing.  [SNIP] If you really want to know, I'll write it out for you in PM. 

PM appreciated and responded to. It clears up some things but not others - and I guess there's stuff you weren't aware of either, so.

As you said, hopefully in the past, though, now...its a long time ago.

Incidentally, I googled, and the MOC Mimic site is still accessible...not sure if I should link to it here xD but if you google, you'll find it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
It's nice to read that a lot of the old hurt feelings are being healed.  :)  I love being a part of the pony community!  I wish that I'd actually participated a lot more back in the day, instead of just lurking around the edges and stalking Ebay.  But Sebby and I were sort of email pen pals; I still have fond memories of our extened online chats.  Ha ha, I used to write her such long marathon emails!  And I still have the card and princess dragon Smokey that she generously sent me as a gift (still my only dragon, besides Spike of course).  We did quite a lot of trades too; I think I got my lovely Gypsy from Sebby; still one of my favorite ponies.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
Stlgusty.. Is your birthday August 11? I remember once on ponypeople posting about my birthday and having someone else with a hockey themed name having the same bday.

My favorite ponypeople memory is how I never downloaded the emails from my server and I had so many I almost crashed my ISP.. They were not happy! (this was in the 90s)
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2012, 08:57:04 PM »
StoryDreamer - Nope, my birthday is January 26th unless I had made up a birthday for my character, lol.  My Gusty was all about sports, especially hockey... She played hockey, talked about hockey... I called myself Katie/Gusty-the HockeyPony.  :)  Good times, good times...

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2012, 02:47:19 AM »
Haha, I'm guessing I am! I joined the online MLP community January 2000 - so that's over 12 years ago now! o.O Back then I called myself babysterretje :) But I switched to my more general online name Aienhime a while back :)

I still remember a lot of the old stuff! The ponypeople list, the dreamvalley web ring (and dream valley with the drawn illustrations!! I actually printed the entire site back then. Yep, lol), the old MLPTP, the hatred towards gen2 lol... Good old times (not the gen2 hate ;) )!

Offline EStRanger

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »
What's really interesting about this thread is the number of people who have changed their name. I know most of the old names of people but wouldn't have realised who they were because of the new ones. Mainly because of ponypeople mailing list perhaps..? Surfstar, I totally remember you as TAF Seashell xD. And Mysteagic, I remember you as Rainribbon too, as well as the Ryou-ouki thing for some reason...maybe because I saw Tenchi Muyou around that time too...hrm.

Quote from: Mermaid
Taffeta! I remember looking up to you so much back in the day haha. I used to think you were some MLP Goddess. :P You still hold that image to me to this day!

Yeeps o.O. I guess you didn't read too many of my rant posts then >.> I was pretty well known for typing before speaking and for rushing into situations. I was too young, too naive and gullible, and hadn't been diagnosed autistic yet, so I could be pretty high maintenance and I did get manipulated into situations without realising until MUCH later what had actually taken place. Learning curve, ne...

Last time I noticed you commenting here, Taffeta, I even wondered, "Is that THE Taffeta from the old days?" but it was such a common pony-name that I didn't want to jump to conclusions. :) So happy you remember me! The confusion over pony names is why I stopped going by Rainribbon....If you use a pony name, eventually other people will use the same one, and I didn't want to cause confusion. Of course, it meant that people who knew me as Rainribbon no longer knew who I was if they weren't present when I made the switch!

And I know what you mean about being VERY different from the old days. I was just a teenager who'd been shut away from general society for so long that joining PonyPeople was pretty much how I learned to be a functional person in social settings (although my severe anxiety disorder still makes things difficult). I feel so sorry for anyone who might've had to deal with me sixteen years ago. XD I don't *remember* doing anything to anger anyone, but the paranoid part of me insists I must've done on a daily basis. :P

And....Katie/Gusty-the HockeyPony?! Holy cow! I remember you too! :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:49:48 PM by Mystagic »
Don't look for me!

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2012, 04:24:15 AM »
I guess I'd be considered a moldie oldie, though I don't feel like it! Maybe because a few of my MLP friends have been collecting way longer. I remember going to one meet in about 2005ish, where I was the only one that didn't come from the pre-2000 era! :) I recognise some of the names posted in here - good to see some of them around again!

I came to the online MLP communities in late 2001, first to the UK based ones (because I thought the TP moved so fast and I didn't have much spare time), then the TP a bit later. The Arena I joined the day it opened :) It's a scary thought how long ago that was - 11 years! Collecting now seems very different from back then, partly because of G3/G4, partly because the longer time since G1 and partly because I've refined my collection several times! I kinda miss the magic of the early days when I got excited about ponies like Moondancer or Locket.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal