collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: BJD custom question  (Read 2600 times)

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
BJD custom question
« on: February 04, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »
I understand that if you paint (pastel, make up, etc.) near a joint, that it can chip or rub off of that spot. I was just wondering though, if I wanted to paint something on the body of my eventual Lutz Annette, what would be the best way to go about it? Something similar to the techniques people use for a face up?

Offline suppi

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://chibi-suppi.deviantart.com
Re: BJD custom question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »
Like a tattoo sort of deal?

As long as your gentle and seal it really well (before and after) than it should last a really long time. Though it is, to me, very much like doing a face-up. :3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Flickr :3 Thanks YLH for my Avvie and Sugarcup for my siggy!

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »
More like a large scar, but would be on the shoulder/neck area, so I am worried about it rubbing.

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:29:51 PM »
yep, do it the same way you would a face up :)

This is still a face up, but he has a tattoo incorporated.

it was just painted on with a brush and thinned out acrylics.
and then just prep and seal just like you would a face up.

just make sure to spray the whole piece (in your case, the whole torso piece) 360, even if you're just doing a tiny little tattoo in one corner of the neck.

To help with rubbing you can buy a thin leather called "pliver" and glue (hot or elmers glue) that into the joint area of where the tattoo will be, this is help with friction a bit, and keep the pieces from scraping.

I had a friend to full body tattoos on her dolls, and they'd rub off around the edges of the joints over time, so you just have to be careful.  In one case she did a whole blushing and tattoo job, you can see her progress photos here: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/006/b/5/__Shaantventure___by_jackieHOLIC.jpg

she just preps and seals just like she does for face ups.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:31:31 PM by Knibitz »

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »
Yay Coat ^^ I was wondering how that worked with his face. (I had thought it might have just come that way...) Last question, I know people use chalk pastels, acrylics or prismas, but what is the best sealer? Is there a specific brand? or will any good quality sealer (model sealer?) work?

Knibitz

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 11:38:33 PM »
if you want the top of the line premier stuff for ball jointed dolls you can get Zukiemura(Sp?) Spray from Volks (volksusa.com) or a lot of people swear by Mr. Super Clear (MSC) which you can get at a few places, including Junkyspot.com

However, several of my dolls have been sealed with Testors dull coat, and Model Masters dull coat (you can get them at any hobby lobby/micheals/etc) and I've never had ill effects.
Some people swear they yellow faster, damage faster, hurt the dolls, come out shiny, etc etc... but at least half of my dolls were sealed in either of those brands and I've never had any of the issues people say they've had. So I personally pass it off to the people not knowing what they're doing and not getting it properly applied, that or faulty cans.

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:02:04 AM »
I was hoping you would say that. I use Testors for my custom ponies so I have it on hand. If all things go as planned, I should have two really expensive artist manikins by the time this is over XD

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
Now I am kinda considering buying my dolls blank and paying someone to do custom face-ups for me. I know I need to look around and find the right person and stuff, but here is my new question. How do I fIgure out and convey what I want? I mean, neither character (that the dolls will be) really wear make-up and I am not quite sure what I want.  Would collaborating with the artist I hire and talking about the characters personallity and stuff be the best way to go? Or shoud I talk with other people and figure it out before finding\contacting an artist?

Knibitz

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »
depends on the artist really, but most will talk with you about what you want :)

most of the artists I work with have a face up form, where you describe what you want, you specify every detail.

here's an example of someone's face up form: http://invie-alamode.blogspot.com/p/bjd-commission-form_27.html
(note; I have no idea who this artist is XD I just googled for a face up form)

each artist is different, but most will talk to you if you ask :)

To find a face up artist, you're best bet will be DoA though :(
Most artists set up commission threads there.

Some artists I've worked with: Meggilu, Shallow Sleep, Hitomifrens, Momochu, and Buff

Offline Rabiruchi

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • Lowly Human
    • View Profile
    • http://mim-ser-rabi.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »
Since it's a scar, you could try carving it in the resin. People do carve this kind of injures, so they look more realistic and don't "rub" the painting that much, since its carved in.

this is a default carved scar:
 http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4447383939_6e085479e9.jpg but people also do this kind of carving custom.

You can also get this kind of effect using white glue on the doll and then facing up over it:
 http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/253/f/0/third_face_up__first_scar_by_kaminarinotenshi-
 d2yg3gd.jpghttp://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/327/5/2/mello_bjd_by_wildsid-d33gj91.jpg

Just to mention... The white glue stuff can be removed XD
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:36:04 PM by Rabiruchi »
~ Looking for:
  :heart: G1 Ponies: Bashful Bonnet, Goldilocks, Bowtie (shy pose) and Baby Bowtie, Flutter Ponies and Summer Wing Ponies
  :heart: Stock Dals: Heart Macaron and Classical Alice
  :heart: BJD: SOOM Lig/Nodia (head or full doll in white skin)
  :heart: Want other ponies too! Got them?
My WishList

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 10:21:51 PM »
Oh wow! Thank you very much for that suggestion and the links.

Repulsive333

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 10:54:47 PM »
I know that with scarring it looks really nice if you use white Elmers glue...

But i used MSC and it definitely works better than most sealers i have used... some off brands leave a sticky mess... Testors is good too.

I only use Golden acrylic paint for my faceups... nothing but the best for my ladies of the doll persuasion. LOL (Oh and it helps that i am a painter... that stuff is expensive!)

There are a few REALLY awesome people on Den of Angels that do phenomenal faceups and show you their progress step by step...
But i would suggest for your first doll getting a factory faceup that way you can see what you like and dislike about it and go from there.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal