collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, about the whole Hasbro getting rid of ":muffin: Pony" thing...  (Read 29968 times)

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: So, about the whole Hasbro getting rid of ":muffin: Pony" thing...
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »
This could all easily be avoided and righted: make a :muffin: Pony centric episode in which her and dash or rarity or some other pony from mane 6 help her find a way to be truly useful. If you were to make :muffin: Pony into a hero, this would set into motion an anti bullying vibe, give her a positive role, even if only for one episode, and frankly...who cares about the haters? Appeal to the children that are the target audience! The thought is nice that Hasbro listened to our community before...Sorta. they just a need to fix what they accidentally or short sightedly broke in order ti regain their "good" image.

There are plenty of ways to go about this, Hasbro just needs to do it. And quit trying to take back what is already out there. I personally like :muffin: Pony, and definitely wouldnt mind watching another episode that displays some strength of her character. Right?  ^.^

Shelltoon

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »
Actually, it may not have anything to do with :muffin: Pony's behavior or the context of the word "derp." For all we know, it could be Hasbro trying to cover its flank from the possibility of fans suing them for using a name they came up with. We don't exactly know everything going on right now.

toralei

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
Actually, it may not have anything to do with :muffin: Pony's behavior or the context of the word "derp." For all we know, it could be Hasbro trying to cover its flank from the possibility of fans suing them for using a name they came up with. We don't exactly know everything going on right now.

Yep, I agree. I'm going to reserve judgement....

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »

This. From what i heared they don't wish to make the character "dissapear". Just tweak the voice and perhaps change the name. And even that isn't confirmed yet! Yet Hasbro is already getting a load of hate mail. : /
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 08:17:48 AM »
The origin of the word "derp" really needs to be clarified. - 

The first known instance of the word “derp” comes from the 1998 film Baseketball by South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone. During a scene where they are caught smelling underwear taken from a woman’s private drawer, Matt runs out of the room and says “Derp.”

And thus, :muffin: Pony's name is not derived from any insult towards people with disabilities. "Derp" is a reply to a stupid comment or action, and so is comparable to "duh" - a word which populates quite a lot of cartoons and is pretty commonly accepted.

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 08:26:07 AM »
The orgin of the word doesn't matter, it's how people have used it since. For example, 'gay' used to mean 'happy' or 'joyful'. It doesn't anymore.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 08:26:41 AM »
Oh Lordy... I kinda saw this coming.  Here are my thoughts on the matter:

I personally feel like the show and the fandom should be separate.  Hasbro made a mistake in introducing :muffin: Pony to the show.  The show is intended for and marketed to young children, not people in the "brony" age range.  And I think it should stay that way.   If Hasbro keeps this up, the show is going to be completely run by bronies.  Hasbro is just losing sight of their target audience if you ask me.

The klutzy, silly, dim character is a staple character for a kids cartoon. Besides Disney's Goofy, there is Patrick from Spongebob and Ed from Ed, Edd, and Eddy. The only thing they got from the "brony" fanbase is the name.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2012, 08:28:53 AM »
Honestly, I don't really care what Hasbro does.  It's their character, and if they want to change names/voices/personality, so be it.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »
I have heard :muffin: Pony's eyes started as an animation error , and it kinda went from there
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2012, 08:36:19 AM »
I have heard :muffin: Pony's eyes started as an animation error , and it kinda went from there
Yeah, I think the issue is where it went from there...

keikokukien, I like your idea!

Very true...I'd be surprised if fans actually have any rights to the name, but still, if it's at all questionable, this wouldn't surprise me.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »
Oh Lordy... I kinda saw this coming.  Here are my thoughts on the matter:

I personally feel like the show and the fandom should be separate.  Hasbro made a mistake in introducing :muffin: Pony to the show.  The show is intended for and marketed to young children, not people in the "brony" age range.  And I think it should stay that way.   If Hasbro keeps this up, the show is going to be completely run by bronies.  Hasbro is just losing sight of their target audience if you ask me.

The klutzy, silly, dim character is a staple character for a kids cartoon. Besides Disney's Goofy, there is Patrick from Spongebob and Ed from Ed, Edd, and Eddy. The only thing they got from the "brony" fanbase is the name.

Actually, klutzy and dim is how she was portrayed by most of the brony community. That's pretty much why the creators decided to give her that type of personality. It's not like ponyville didn't have any dim/silly characters already. To a lot of people it seems that being cross eyed = derp = idiot. Also, characters like Patrick can be compared to Snips and Snails. Not to :muffin: Pony.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2012, 08:52:56 AM »
why should :muffin: Pony be the one that has to change? shouldn't she be accepted for who she is?  we don't expect real people with disablities to change what they look like or who they are ,so why should :muffin: Pony have to change herself to look like what everyone thinks she should look like?
(yes I know she is not real,but still)
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2012, 08:58:53 AM »
Actually, I would say the brony community in general gave her a more palatable personality than Studio B did.  Sure, you had a lot of ":muffin: Pony is dumb/silly/clumsy" fanfics and such, but also a really large percentage of fanfics where she was perfectly intelligent, she just happened to have crossed eyes or aphasia, or ones where she and Dr. Whooves went off gallivanting in the TARDIS together, saving the world.

This fanfic, for example.

This makes it especially disappointing to me that Studio B decided to go with a straight out "dumb and destructive" characterization.   If fans want to get up in arms about her being changed, they should blame Studio B for choosing the worst possible route to begin with.  I mean, this was easier to see coming than the housing bubble collapsing. (No offense to Studio B peeps who might be reading.  99% of what you do is great, but someone really dropped the ball on this one.)

Frankly I think they should've left :muffin: Pony as a nameless "where's Waldo" character.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »
It's not that :muffin: Pony should change, but given some positive traits too. Being clumsy may be endearing, but it's not a strength. Also, seeing how she was treated by RD, what should change is how she's treated.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
It's not that :muffin: Pony should change, but given some positive traits too. Being clumsy may be endearing, but it's not a strength. Also, seeing how she was treated by RD, what should change is how she's treated.

I agree they should either bring her out and make her a part of the the team, or put her back in the background. I for one would love a ":muffin: Pony helps save the day, she not as clumsy as she looks and she has some cool talent that no one knew she had and she saves the day! episode" instead of just having her out to get yelled at and made fun of,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal