collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's happening with ABC's X-mas raffle? (update 05/24/12)  (Read 34625 times)

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening with ABC's X-mas raffle?
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2012, 11:20:32 PM »
A back up person is really a good idea!  If I were to ever host/run something, I think I would definetly need someone to hold me accountable and to fall back on if I couldn't hold to my duties!

Like communism and capitalism, a back-up person only works in theory.

Let's say someone is doing exactly what ABC was doing. Some kind of raffle for donations type of thing. Then ABC disappears and stops communicating. Ok, time for the back-up person to step in!

Except the back-up person doesn't have any of the items that ABC had promised. So what is the back-up person going to do exactly?

For another example let's say it was a money raffle. Arena member Pony123 decided to run a raffle for a $1 a ticket. The top three winners will receive one pony each that value $80-$100. She nets about $500 from all the ponies on the forum that joined and the winners are announced. Then she disappears.

Now of course this is where her back-up steps in. Except she doesn't have the ponies that were supposed to be the prizes. Besides, even if she did, she's not going to give out 3 higher value ponies from her own collection/pocket because someone else flaked out. She didn't exactly receive any money from the raffle!

I know that not all people that flake out are younger people but the only thing I can think of that will help is some sort of confirmation that hosts and participants are 18 and over. I would even be sketchy of trading or buying from an 18 year old but at least there's a line drawn somewhere.

If you guys already do this then cool. I can't think of any other deterrents.

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2012, 11:56:27 PM »
The age confirmation wouldn't really help too much... I mean, what would you propose to check? I'm not sure so many would be happy to scan sensitive documents to prove their age for a swap, for one. That would be too much of a deterrent than its worth in potentially stopping flakes. Having someone else as a reference to confirm their age also wouldn't be useful because some on here are not close to many on here. Besides, as you said, it isn't always the younger ones that flake out...

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2012, 01:29:23 AM »
The age confirmation wouldn't really help too much... I mean, what would you propose to check? I'm not sure so many would be happy to scan sensitive documents to prove their age for a swap, for one. That would be too much of a deterrent than its worth in potentially stopping flakes. Having someone else as a reference to confirm their age also wouldn't be useful because some on here are not close to many on here. Besides, as you said, it isn't always the younger ones that flake out...

Still, having rules that you can't trade unless you are 18 makes sense because in the USA this is the law. If you are under 18 you can't enter into a contract and well, making agreements with 16 year olds and 17 year olds is just not a good idea. You legally CANNOT hold them to any agreement.

I never said anything about scanning documents. But a simple line in the rules saying you must be 18 can be a deterrent. Because remember, not all people that flake out are planning it. Some are honest in the beginning and if they aren't 18 they will not enter into a trade if it's against the rules and is well known.

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2012, 02:06:02 AM »

Still, having rules that you can't trade unless you are 18 makes sense because in the USA this is the law. If you are under 18 you can't enter into a contract and well, making agreements with 16 year olds and 17 year olds is just not a good idea. You legally CANNOT hold them to any agreement.

I never said anything about scanning documents. But a simple line in the rules saying you must be 18 can be a deterrent. Because remember, not all people that flake out are planning it. Some are honest in the beginning and if they aren't 18 they will not enter into a trade if it's against the rules and is well known.

True, true... though trades and purchases do occur with those with younger ages
I know you didn't say anything about scanning docs, was just exploring the possibilities there.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2012, 02:10:50 AM »
Please keep this on topic.  It is about what ABC owes and to whom. Thanks PonyLady TS/Mod
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
I messaged her via facebook again.  No word back yet.  We're heading into month five of waiting.  :/

I only just noticed the feedback for her about flaking out on a swap on another board.  Does anyone know if she ever ended up coming through on that one?

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2012, 02:12:24 AM »
Whoops sorry Ponylady.

Does anyone know about Buttercream's question? That's interesting. I hope she came through on that one.

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »
Said trade, can I ask how long ago that was? Was it recently, or several years ago...?

I don't remember all the details, but I do remember that ABrownCrayon left the pony community for some time, after some controversity around something she did.. this was so long ago that the board where most details were no longer exists. Some of it was on the mlptp as well, not sure though if it was the current mlptp or the one before that.
As I remember it, there were mainly *two* issues with her in a short time. She left the pony community abruptly, leaving the issues unresolved, and was gone for years.
This happened somewhere around 2005? 2006 maybe? I really don't remember. Anyone else?

-

Offline DevlishSmooch

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »
My custom is complete and on her way to xkelpiex.  It took me longer than it should have because my daughter became very ill and I had all kinds of appointments and issues with her. 

Just putting my two cents in here, but I would not hesitate to participate in this again regardless of the way this turns out.  I would prefer that it would be someone else running it, but I was going to donate toys anyhow so it doens't bother me as much.  And I would also be happy to donate another prize if someone does it again.   ^.^

My Customs   WANTED: Non-discolored MO Scribbles (an even, creamy white would do)/MOC Bubbles!     DS Ref Sheet

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »
I was thinking about the comment from her feedback here.  It said that she bailed on a swap on the CF.

I think if we did it again as a community, and had several different people donating prizes, it might go better.  At least if one person bails, the majority of people will still get something.

Yay DS, I want to see this custom *runs off to check the custom board*

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2012, 07:09:05 AM »
Just bumping this up once again. Does anyone know when the honeymoon will be over?

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2012, 08:36:30 AM »
If the honeymoon is still going on, that's one long honeymoon....

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »
I would think she is back from her honeymoon by now....  still no news though  :huh:

My custom is complete and on her way to xkelpiex. 

yay! thats great :cheer:  :hug:  :happy:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline DemonicSymphony

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »
Posted a note on her Facebook that you guys are looking for her.
I rescue unwanted plushies. PM me for details!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »
Thanks DS!  Hopefully she can get this straightened out for these folks.  It's been far to long. :(
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal