collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have you ever unboxed a MIB G1 pony.... :O  (Read 22441 times)

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Have you ever unboxed a MIB G1 pony.... :O
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2012, 04:46:33 AM »
Well I have a history of being terrible about keeping things in their packages, but with the G4s and more recently lalaloopsy I realized that if I have DOUBLES, one loose and one MIB, then I'm perfectly okay! When I first started this hobby I told myself no MIB because I'll want to open it- but now I'll allow it to myself if I buy the same pony loose too.  :lol: One for looks and one for play! I'd really rather not open any G1s... and no need for opening G2s either as I already got my thrill opening those as a kid. I just know I'd regret it personally.

By all means I don't mind what other people do with their ponies though (as if I had any say anyway LOL). As long as they are thrilled with it too, how gosh darn exciting!!!! This thread was so fun to read  :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2012, 07:41:45 AM »
I would never unbox a G1 pony. If i want a loose one i'm better off just buying a loose one.
That way you don't ruin something (fairly) rare and spend less money at the same time.
I frankly don't get why anyone would buy a rare carded pony only to open it. I also wouldn't want to ruin the great art G1 ponies have. So yeah, unboxing is a big no in my opinion.

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »
It's a good thing I'll probably never boy a boxed G1, because I know I'd never be able to keep it in there. >>

I currently do not buy things with resale in mind, I buy just for me, and if I buy a toy I want to touch it and play with it.
I simply take absolutely no joy in looking at a box or staring at a toy through a layer of plastic.  I'm fine with others enjoying them that way mind you, it just doesn't work for me, so everything I buy is happily taken out of it's packaging and I've never regretted it.

Mind you, I'm aware how many people feel and I would probably never buy a mint in packaging g1 anyways.
Both because I lack the money, and because I know other persons may enjoy them for being one of the few left in their box.
I generally have a like for "well loved" or "rescued" toys anyways, and am discovering a love for restoring them too.
I'll happily leave the boxed ponies to the people who enjoy them. ^^

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2012, 08:40:48 AM »
Yes
 :devious:
Forget me not (flutter pony).

And I do not regret it.

WHY? Because it was the most AMAZING feeling to open it. AMAZING. More amazing then just buying a ~minty~ pony. Sorry, I don't think it's fair to think that people should trade their MIB for an opened pony. Nah-uh. There is JOY in that box. And that JOY is unopening it. A very precious moment in time.

My MIB Takara also comes out of her box. Ain't no way I'm keeping her in there. HA. (Tho' technically she might of been deboxed before, I am not so sure).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2012, 08:45:04 AM »
...that was REALLY expensive to buy MIB, and then found you couldn't resist unboxing it?
Yes

If you have - did you regret it?
No

:P

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2012, 09:37:50 AM »
I wouldn't buy a MIP G1, because I know I'd just go crazy wanting to open it. I can imagine how amazing it must have been for those of you who have done it! Opening a brand new pony just like I did when I was a kid... yeah, I wouldn't be able to resist that! If I fund one for a really good price I'd buy it and re-sell ASAP, just to get the temptation away from me.
I have MIB G3's that I'll probably open when I have room to display them, and I've opened one before... but it's not the same at all.

Disregard the Prologue

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »
Several, when I was little and they were new hehe :)

But really, I've not had any MIB G1's (nowadays) However, if I did I would very very likely open them as I can't really understand keeping a pony in a box....most of the joy is playing with the hair afterall. So no one sell their MIB's to me, they are not safe XD
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

Dyzarktarzk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »
I will not open them, unless the packaging really is in awful condition.

Still there, I have my mexican newborn baby Twins Rat & Tat (Rattles and Tattles) in an ugly box and some accessories loose but I still have them boxed =)

My only MIB/MOC are my dear mexicans and I will not open them.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2012, 11:47:06 AM »
Never have (except when they were still new, of course...although I saved some of the packaging even then), and never will, unless there's something wrong with the packaging or pony. I much prefer loose ponies and totally understand the good feeling of opening one for the first time, but there's only a limited number of them, and I feel like if I contribute to the number that are opened, there eventually won't be any more, even if that is a long time from now. It doesn't really seem fair for me to get a brief moment of excitement about something by making it cease to exist when I know there are plenty of people who would love it the way it is. For me personally, I guess the whole point of collecting is to preserve the things I like, not just to own them...sometimes, outside of my childhood collection, I don't even really feel like I own them, just taking care of them for the next person. Which I'm fine with. It certainly made selling the MOC ones I had pretty painless.

I would probably open a MIB Playset though, because otherwise, what's the point? But I don't know since I've never had one; maybe I'd feel differently if I did.

Offline WingedElf

• Trade Count: (+136)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »
Never have (except when they were still new, of course...although I saved some of the packaging even then), and never will, unless there's something wrong with the packaging or pony. I much prefer loose ponies and totally understand the good feeling of opening one for the first time, but there's only a limited number of them, and I feel like if I contribute to the number that are opened, there eventually won't be any more, even if that is a long time from now. It doesn't really seem fair for me to get a brief moment of excitement about something by making it cease to exist when I know there are plenty of people who would love it the way it is. For me personally, I guess the whole point of collecting is to preserve the things I like, not just to own them...sometimes, outside of my childhood collection, I don't even really feel like I own them, just taking care of them for the next person. Which I'm fine with. It certainly made selling the MOC ones I had pretty painless.

Beautifully put :) I completely agree with you, I definitely see collecting as a process of preservation. I love my ponies to bits, but one day (probably when I'm a little old lady!) I'll be able to pass them on to someone else who will really appreciate them. I have a couple of MOC/MIBs in my collection that are very very rare, I don't feel it would be right to open them when I would most likely be denying other collectors the chance to ever own those ponies MIB. And tbh I don't really understand the opening of less rare G1s either, there are so many mint loose ones around it just seems a shame to make one less MOC in the world.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »
i personally would never take a G1 out of its package unless its at risk of harming the pony, but i don't have a problem with people who do open them. i have a huge temptation to open certain things, so i can understand the need/want to free the pony from its prison lol

Post Merge: January 19, 2012, 01:59:18 PM

MUWhahaha...

I opened Mimic!

my heart fluttered when i read this, but i think it was mostly out of sheer jealousy that you got to experience the rush from opening her XD and also the excitement at the thought of a fresh mimic being out there in the pony world. XD

Maybe I should add that she was Under $6.00 and purchased from K-mart when I bought her and opened.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »
I have only opened G1s in the 1980s. ;) And i regret it!!! lol I couldn't (wouldn't) do it today. I totally believe in trying to preserve vintage MIB items for future generations to see.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2012, 08:43:51 PM »
No way! that means one less MOC/MIB!!

I did have one pony that fell off her card in shipping though. I was gutted :C
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
No! I would never allow myself to debox a G1.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline MintySocks

• Singing Artsy Fartsy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2012, 09:16:02 PM »
I would never dream of opening a MIB G1 pony, unless the package was so badly damaged that the pony was falling out anyway, or the package had damage (like mold/mildew) that could damage the pony if not removed. Yeah I'm one of those boring types :P

Then I guess I'm boring too! I can't stand the thought of something being less valuable because of something I purposely did to it. Maybe that's mercenary, I dunno, but I also like to think of it as preserving a bit of history. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal