collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have you ever unboxed a MIB G1 pony.... :O  (Read 22440 times)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever unboxed a MIB G1 pony.... :O
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 07:43:06 PM »
Well, i´m an 80s kid so I deboxed all my childhood ponies :) 8all of which i still have! :D).
That said, I will join the "never deboxing a G1" choir (unless it´s damaging the pony or the package is disgusting). However, I see no point whatsover in keeping a playset in a box so I´d absolutely love to debox and assemble one myself :D
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »
I just purchased a MOC Firefly but the package is not as good as I would have liked. If she's the short hair version (lol I can't tell yet) I'll probably de box her as she costed less than 50$ including shipping. But I'll probably feel guilty.

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 09:14:26 PM »
I have Baby Ribbons still sealed in her bag and it's killing me not to open her! I'm trying to find her "used" but still in nice condition because I know this one is going to get opened otherwise! I can't wait much longer!! I won't buy a MOC again! To tempting, I'll pass them up so someone that can keep them sealed can find them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »
 I was a 90s kid and the idea of uncarding a G1 was so tempting. I own a minty MOC FF Cotton Candy that is not being deboxed. Though a few months back ... for those who remember. I bought a really poor condition SS Fifi MOC and decarded her. Even from the fuzzy auction photos you could see she had discolored splotches all over her flocking and the card was bent out of shape. It even had water damage!!  :shocked: So the backcard was stuck kinda to her flocking due to the water damage. Now the urge to decard has been satisfied for me, I can say I got to experience it and enjoy it. I may once I attempt on a bait to deflock her since her flocking is totally ruined from being carded so long. I had so much fun brushing her hair and putting on her tail ribbon. For a pony I didn't like in the first place, she now has a special place in my herd as the one I got to decard!
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »
I just think that if you are going to de box anyhow, why not buy a loose one and let someone that wants to keep it MIB have it? Makes no sense to me buying a MIB pony so you can just debox / decard it :/

I know for me personally, it would be that bit of sentimentality. A toy that's never been played with, loved, or had its own stories and adventures, and you would be the one to "free" it and give it the life it was due. (At the hands of a collector instead of a child, though.) And the idea that you were the first person to hold it. Possibly nostalgia waves too; once again feeling like a kid that's opening their brand new ponies.

I wouldn't debox any though, although I'd be sorely tempted. But I only really want one of my personal favorite pony MIB/MOC (SHS Flowerburst) so luckily I won't have to run into that dilemma much :)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »
I deboxed a G1 Argie one time because people were saying that if you leave them on the card they become slimey. I don't know if that is true or not.... but it was enough to scare me. I opened her and was excited, but then I cried about it... I still regret it.

I don't like the idea of opening MOC's just because there is a limited number out there and each year it decreases. But in the end it is your pony and I cannot stop anyone from doing it. I just wish people would trade for MINT complete ponies. :)
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »
I opened a G1 who was mint in bag. She's a G1 November Chrysanthemum, and I bought her specifically to open her. I have never and will never regret it. I've never had a MIB/MOC/mint in bag pony to open (aside from G4), and wow. It was such a magical experience. Being the first person to open her, to hold her, to play with her hair. . .it was amazing. She already meant the world to me (my son was born in November so she was a HUGE grail) and being the first person to ever hold her made her beyond irreplaceable.

One of my collecting goals is to open a pony of every generation. I originally planned to find a G1 with really nasty packaging, but I just can't hold bags to the same value as boxes or cards. It was impossible to display her in her bag without leaning her against something and honestly. . .bags are not pretty. Not in any way. I wouldn't ever care a single bit about someone opening a G1 in a bag, but opening one in a good condition box/card bothers me.

Quill

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 11:35:54 PM »
The way I see it, at the end of the day, it's your pony. You paid for it and it is yours to do with as you please. If I was to ever buy a MIB G1, I know I would be sorely tempted to open it. I get sad thinking about ponies sealed in plastic prisons for all time. That and even though I grew up in the 80s and owned a variety of G1s as a child, I don't remember opening any of them.  :(

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2012, 12:13:51 AM »
Nope - never did that and probably never won't!
I buy them because I WANT them that way - so why deboxing =)
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline MercuryStar

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Merow?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2012, 12:52:28 AM »
I have unboxed a playset... I won the Perm Shoppe on Ebay years ago (I don't remember if it was before or after I joined the Arena), and I was very excited about it.   I didn't hesitate to pull the pieces out and put it all together.   I did leave TAF Fifi in her little baggy for a long time, and she is the one thing I regret eventually opening.   She has little orange spots on her nose now, and I always have to wonder if she wouldn't have them if I had left her in the bag.   

I have one MIB pony (though the tape was slit by a previous owner, to remove brochures), and one MOC Pony Wear, and while I have entertained the thought of opening them before, I don't think I ever will, unless something happens that badly damages the packaging and could ruin the items inside.   

We kill the lights and put on a show/It's all a lie/But you'd never know
The star will shine/And then it will fall/And you will forget it all

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2012, 01:29:29 AM »
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention the bag was bad for her so its another reason I support debagging.

Her hair's a huge mess (and would've only gotten messy) and she has a few faint marks on her from her card (she's never touched anything with those parts of her body and they're light blue like her card). When I put her back in her bag to store her when I went on vacation, her hair was even messier when I got back, and she was never even moved. I hate ponies with messy hair so I could never keep one in a bag for long. Not that I can do pony hair at all. xD

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2012, 04:25:17 AM »
I just have to say... I can't even read any of the posts in this thread in case I have a heart attack. If you're ever tempted to debox a G1, no matter what the state of the box is, PM me first and trade for a loose one! :p

FiccyFuneral

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2012, 07:13:56 AM »
I found three MIP mailorder rainbow Flutterbye at a trade center once. The bags had begun to leach sticky gunk and caused their symbols to become...goopy. They were intact but no longer glittery. All three of the ponies were sticky and gross and so I ripped open all three packets, washed them and have since sold two. Even still, I had to think about it a bit before opening them, but in the end, if it's going to ruin the pony I'll go ahead and debox/bag.

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »
*Sniff*  I opened a MOC UK Surprise Twins Pony :(  I hated myself for it!

Offline darknessunisousboy

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • http://darknesscustomshack.webs.com/
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 02:18:17 AM »
well along these lines I have a mint G1 Pony wear set that is MOC. I will never remove it I will seek out a loose set before even thinking it. I would love a MOC G1 no mater the condition.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal