collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are my chances?? (Confetti sunfade question)  (Read 614 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
What are my chances?? (Confetti sunfade question)
« on: February 01, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
I have finally acquired a US Confetti to complete my 2nd year rainbows, but it's bittersweet.  She's quite off colour and both my hubby and my mum (who know nothing of this pony) both said straightaway (and independently of each other) that they thought she looked a bit peachy in colour when they first saw her :huh:   I'm inclined to agree a little (she's certainly quite yellowed), and knowing her reputation for burning with sun-fading do you think this means she's been exposed to sun before?

I really want to try and improve her but I'm understandably scared about trying it  :(   Has anyone had success whitening up their Confetti at all without burning her?  Could you please share your thoughts?

Thanks

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What are my chances?? (Confetti sunfade question)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »
I really hope someone disagrees with me, but I'm going to have to go w/ zero :(  I say this b/c I personally have not seen or heard of a successful Confetti sun bleaching--she is one of those ponies who sunburn so easily.  I don't think her discoloration means that she's necessarily been in much sun before--her white plastic just seems to rarely stay nice and white (like Cherry Treats).  Sundance, however, also Year 3, also white, is made out of something different b/c she is usually still bright white.

I hope I'm wrong b/c I would love to see you succeed!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
Thanks, Vale.  Yeah... I'm not liking my chances, but thought I'd put it out there  :)

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 07:47:26 AM »
Vale's absolutely right, I'm obsessed with that set and on my quest of finding the perfect Confetti I have realised that there are two types of her in that pose, one's the common store version which is made of much cheaper plastic that is very prone to degrading and she never was stark white to begin with, then there's a later version that is much whiter and made of better plastic and has other differences such as a thinner forelock, less hair plugs, and different eye shade.

My only success whitening a baity was using Remove-Zit which also worked very well on yellow ponies but not so much on other colors. The only side effect is that the plastic became a little shiny which I didn't mind as white and shiny is still an incredible improvement. It's been a couple of years now and she still remains the same and there's been no damage to the plastic as far as I can tell.

I also once managed to get a perfect early store version years ago and have kept her in a dark air conditioned room but unfortunately her plastic still managed to turn brown in some areas so it's inevitable with this one. I currently own a herd of Confettis and the only true whites are the later release that I've mentioned earlier and of course Italians, Spanish, and UK's Wedding Bells Confetti.

Pepinoreno

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:08:37 AM »
Glad I caught this thread now, I was planning on sun fading mine this spring. Didn't know she could burn! Gizmo how exactly do you use remove-zit? Is there a special technique?

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »
It's very pasty so I used a tooth pick around the eyes and symbols and piled it on the rest of her body, I also tried it on a Masquerade and Trickles where it completely got rid of their mold spots.

Here's a tiny picture of how Confetti looks, should give you an idea and you can also notice the shinier plastic I was referring to earlier:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

She's the only Confetti that I could freely display anywhere as I don't have to worry about her being exposed to light.

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 08:56:19 AM »
AFAIK she burns always when exposed to the sun :sad: I never had the courage to try and whiten any of my girls with sunfading because of that, even if sunfading in Poland doesn't work miracles. The most white US Confetti I have which is still white, got that color miraculously after I got rid of a big amount of dust which accumulated on her when she was in the hands of her previous seller, but she's nowhere pristine as the one Gizmo has (she's gorgeous! Huge congrats on having such a pretty lady in your herd :inlove: ) Also, I heard that using RemoveZit does wonders and in some other occasions - whitening tooth pastes, though again, I never had the courage to test it.

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:53 AM »
Well..... poop!  :lol:

What a pity  :(  Right, so out of the sun she stays!

I really want to thank you all for your input, though. I'm so glad I checked all this before I decided to try and give her even just a couple of minutes under the rays (peak summer here in NZ at the moment, too).  One of the other reasons I wanted to question the sun fading is that she has staining on her from her hair and lots of little marks that ordinarily on any other pony, I would have tried to correct right away with a few sunshine hours  :huh: 

She is still a pretty pony so I guess I'll just have to appreciate her for what she is (I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about remove zit, but thank you for the suggestion! Your girl certainly looks lovely, Gizmo!).

Thanks again, everyone  :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 01:37:37 PM »
She is such a lovely pony! Congrats on adding her to your collection. If you go with the remove zit, just be careful as it can also cause yellowing over time. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 06:16:52 PM »
Ahh, remove-zit! Ok, I have nightmarish fears of the stuff. Thus the following picture. Yes, I hear it works well on white ponies... This pony stays in quarantine, the white has spread over time!

Yeppers, I agree with the no sunfading. My confetti is quite browned, but I love her nonetheless.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 09:04:38 PM »
Be very cautious in considering chemical treatments on plastics - due to the huge inconsistencies in manufacture, it's a roll of the dice every time.  Predicting the interactions is pretty much impossible, and even multiple versions of the same pony can react in different ways.  If you do use Remove-Zit, it's probably best on a pony that's otherwise in bait worthy condition that can't be made worse. The stuff tends to get right into the vinyl and stays active for a very long time, even if you clean it well off the surface.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 01:16:49 AM »
Lots more good advice - thanks so much, guys  :)

Ahh, remove-zit! Ok, I have nightmarish fears of the stuff.

mlp4me... I am feeling your pain here!!  :cry:  That poor pony!!  I have an otherwise lovely Italy Starflower that the seller remove-zitted with the best of intentions. During her trip from Europe it took action and she arrived with awful white splotches on her neck. I was devastated  :cry:

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 07:42:15 AM »
I had no idea that a white Confetti was so difficult to find...i guess I've been exceedingly lucky in that my childhood one is still in amazing condition, and i got her when she first came out because I thought she was the most beautiful!
There's a technique you might try involving a peroxide bath...it only takes a couple of days to work, and it worked wonders on a brown Baby Moondancer I once had! The technique is described on the My Little Pony Preservation Project site (one which I've referenced repeatedly!) It may be worth a shot in this situation, since it doesn't seem to affect sparkley symbols or chartreuse yellow hair :) I'd still remove her tail and do what I could to keep her mane out, just in case...I've used petroleum jelly on the hair, though it takes a while to wash out.
Here's a link: http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:46:00 AM by SeashellnBubbles »

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 09:07:42 AM »
Here's more direct links:

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/mycollection2.html#RainbowPonies2

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#Yellowed

Chartreuse hair will bleed onto their bodies with this.  I just angled their bodies so that the hair wasn't touching them, and didn't leave them in for too long.  My Confetti isn't bright white, but she's way improved.

The sun is pretty intense in my area during the summer, I think I didn't leave her in for more than a day.  You'd definitely want to check on her regularly to make sure it's not having any bad side effects.

It's been a couple of years since I did that and he's still in pretty nice shape.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »
Here's more direct links:

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/mycollection2.html#RainbowPonies2

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#Yellowed

Chartreuse hair will bleed onto their bodies with this.  I just angled their bodies so that the hair wasn't touching them, and didn't leave them in for too long.  My Confetti isn't bright white, but she's way improved.

The sun is pretty intense in my area during the summer, I think I didn't leave her in for more than a day.  You'd definitely want to check on her regularly to make sure it's not having any bad side effects.

It's been a couple of years since I did that and he's still in pretty nice shape.

Do the peroxide baths work on ponies who burn in the sun, seeing as sunlight is required to do this process?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal