collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are You A Good or Bad Pony Auction Looser?  (Read 8752 times)

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Are You A Good or Bad Pony Auction Looser?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

say no more. lol

Actually, I don't really get upset. One little cuss, and it's over. :) Granted it's annoying to get outbid by what appears to be 50 cents, but OTOH you don't really know if they actually outbid you by 50 dollars. I just bid what I want to spend, not a cent more, because once or twice I've bid more than I wanted to with that competitive "IT WILL BE MINE, NOT YOURS, a****z!" thing going on in my  head, and felt great relief, financially speaking, upon losing. I'm sure the seller was happy, though.  :P

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
I'm so horrible at losing auctions, I'm not even allowed to participate in them anymore. BINs only. :I

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

cesprins

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »
I think everyone gets mad about it! I'm still kicking myself for missing some auctions, but you live to bid another day. Usually every 1 in 3 pony related auctions I actually place a bid in, I will win. Sometimes I throw in the towel because the price went too high or I get outbidded last 2 seconds. So the odds are in my favor still and I don't care to over pay so it's just as well.

I suppose someone with an unlimited budget on a one of kind item would be pretty angry to lose. The one time I will never forget is I was bidding on this one of a kind antique fraternal regalia that wound up going over $100. and I had to drop out. I'm still kicking myself for not sucking it up and bidding. $100 isn't bad for a victorian era heirloom that was unlike any other regalia out there and never will ever see again...ARG. Getting mad thinking about it!

There are a  lot of snipe bidders in pony related auctions... more so then any other kinds of auctions I've experienced. It can be more competitive than vintage/antique clothing or character figures. Which strikes me as odd. Must be a lot of pony collectors out there!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:00:24 AM by cesprins »

Offline willa

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Greek Ladybird Mint in Egg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »
*Raises hand*  I'm with you Cat, if its an auction I am desperate for and I don't win I am DEVASTATED!
Hope you win your auction : ) x
SEEKING... Princess Taffeta & Pristina, 7 Tales Bon Bon and Peru Unicorns Moonstone & Windy x

Offline terabithianprince

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • The last pages are for you
    • View Profile
    • Pony Pals
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »
I tend to feel more disappointed than angry when I lose an auction so most of the time I'll only do BIN or buy now on trademe.

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
I think I do pretty well, and really only my hubby gets to see my reactions to losing ebay auctions.

If I lose because of something stupid I did, like forgot it was ending or misjudged my bidding amount or missed it during my searches, I go through an "ARGH!" stage every time I think about it. Then I kick myself, sigh, and tell myself it'll come around again. Eventually. 

If my max got fairly outbid, I handle it much better. I'm still sad, but I tell myself that's how the game is played and I got beat :sleepy:   

I was A LOT worse when I used to watch the auctions end. My heart would race, my blood pressure went way up, I couldn't concentate on anything else, and it took me awhile to calm down after it ended, even when I won.  If I lost, I felt really badly.  So 99% of the auctions I bid on are done through a sniping service so I don't have to babysit each auction.  It's REALLY helped with my ebay anxiety, not to mention I don't have to set alarms or stop what I'm doing or sneak a peak online during work :D 

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »
I get a bit sad when I lose and angry too, but I just go over it fairly quickly. I usually win, actually lol but when I don't is either because I stopped - the price went a bit overboard to me - or someone snipped it at he last second.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
I'm a pretty good loser.  I don't think I've ever thrown a fit or anything. 

All ponies eventually come up again, anyway.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 11:12:47 AM »
I am so pleased so many of you are almost equally bad loosers lol!!! Thanks guys - I do have visions of pony collectors throwing little temper tantrums across the globe now...we have probably all upset one another over auctions in the past I guess...maybe I ll spare a little thought for those who dont win when I do as how they feel will be how I do when they out bid me!

*Off to stalk that ebay auction....*I MUST win*....no extreme attitudes here.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »
I'm a good auction loser most of the time but when I get mad about anything I don't do much fussing I sulk and grumble quietly. I've had to pass up enough auctions that I'm used to it I always console my self with 'well I wasn't meant to have that pony yet I guess.' these things usually come back 

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
I think of the person who is going to be so happy to see their NEW PONY!  :)  After all, they were willing to pay more money than me.  Plus... who wants to stalk the brag threads to criticize unless you're having an extreme pouty fit!  ;)

P.S.  Which I have thrown more than my share of pouty fits until I realized it was probably a member of the community and then I couldn't help but feel happy for them. The only time I got really irritated is when it was a re-seller who scooped up nearly all the restore lots in a certain timeframe and I knew I would see those ponies a week later with hairdo's and a bath... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
I am usually ok and bounce back after losing, but I can be a terrible loser. I am still grumpy about 2 auctions for my 2 pony grails I lost consecutively a couple of months ago.  I had tried to buy these ponies twice, once on Taobao, and another time on ebay and ultimately failed.

I think my problem is that I got my hopes up too early.  I had thought I had secured them from the Taobao site, so I was dancing for joy and was soooo incredibly happy. About a week later I was informed they were out of stock and I actually bawled my eyes out when someone else bought them (all of them, there were multiples).

And they only bought the extras to sell on EBay too! Those could have been mine! Then I of course cried when I lost them a second time on ebay.

I am a crybaby lol. My poor husband has to deal with crazy old me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:35:14 AM by BrightIdea »

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
I guess I react pretty well  :P If I really wanted to win an auction I'll be upset if the final bid was really close to mine, and maybe swear to myself. But I know there will always be another auction for the same thing eventually, and possibly even in better condition/for a better price, so I get over it quickly.

There are a  lot of snipe bidders in pony related auctions... more so then any other kinds of auctions I've experienced. It can be more competitive than vintage/antique clothing or character figures. Which strikes me as odd. Must be a lot of pony collectors out there!

I actually started doing this because I had a feeling it would cut down on my impulse bidding. And it did, significantly. Now I just decide the most I'm willing to spend days ahead of time without entering the bid, and then I have all the time to ask myself "do I really want this, do I really want to spend this much?" and I have a chance to cancel that bid before it's made when I realize that since I'm not caught up in the competition of bidding, an item really isn't that important to me. And when I decide on my spending limit, either I get the pony for that or I don't, and I'm not bothered if I don't, because someone else was willing to shell out more than I thought the pony was worth.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:09:39 PM by babystarz »

Offline willa

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Greek Ladybird Mint in Egg
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »
Has anyone else put their max bid in £ when the auction is in $ or vice versa?
Such a silly mistake only done it a few times! xx
SEEKING... Princess Taffeta & Pristina, 7 Tales Bon Bon and Peru Unicorns Moonstone & Windy x

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
If it's a bidding war on a pony that's exceeded my budget, I don't feel too bad. More money in my pocket, you know?

But if I log into Ebay and found I missed something on my Watch list because Ebay loves to send me emails AFTER the auction is over...yeah, I get a little upset.

I used to get so mad and then depressed when I lost auctions first starting out...the feeling never really went away until I won another pony! But now I very rarely lose...I snipe and I overpay. (I know, I know, I hate me too.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal