collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Etsy or Ecrater vs. Ebay  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Etsy or Ecrater vs. Ebay
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:10 AM »
I was just hoping to get some opinions on selling on Esty or eCrater versus Ebay. What are the pros and cons from your experience?

I'm just so over Ebay and getting nickel and dimed to death.  Plus, I find it very difficult to know exactly what fees I'm getting hit with and when selling low value items I don't think it's hardly worth my time to only make a couple bucks after all fees.  I'd rather pay a flat fee instead of a little here, a little there, and a lot over there!  Does Ebay get any better for sellers once you have sell X amount of items?

I recently opened an Etsy shop just to see what it was all about and from what I understand they roughly 6.5% (3% for accepting credit card and 3.5% final value fee) of the final sale value + .20 cents listing fee. 

I tried to do the same eCrater, but to be honest I found it confusing to set up so I didn't get anything accomplished there.  I also couldn't find what the fees were, if any.

So, I would really like to hear from experienced sellers as to which selling site you prefer and why?  I have quite a bit of stuff piling up that I need to get out of my house and make a little money on. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:43:44 AM by Stiletto »

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Re: Etsy or Ecrater vs. Ebay
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:11:47 AM »
iv never heard of eCrater, but iv sold, mostly listed things on etsy lol.

iv never listed anything on ebay because of all the fees, they kinda scare me. as far as etsy goes, i think they're pretty reasonable with fees. It might get up there if you have a real store, but for me i just list the odd things so its usually pocket change in fees.

the major downside is, i think its harder for people to find your stuff IN etsy. I mean you tag it and and stuff, but i think ebay is a lot more intuitive in getting people to the sale, where etsy you kinda have to just search and hunt a little bit.

also to me, people seem a little nicer on etsy, but thats kinda a silly thing to say xD iv just had good experiences i guess. but the reverse of that is, it seems like people dont worry about feedback as much. iv sold only a small handful of handmade jewelry items on etsy and iv only gotten one buyer feedback lol. where, when I buy something, I always make sure I leave a feedback.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 03:23:57 AM »
 Ebay is becoming a sellers nightmare :yikes:   - the problem is though that more people shop on ebay so your item is more likely to sell there and for a higher price. 
I havent ever sold on Etsy or Ecrater so I cant give my experience selling on there. but  there are some experienced Etsy/Ecrater sellers on here that will be able to give you some good selling advice soon
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
I tried etsy a few years ago, but didn't like it. If your item doesn't sell in the first day or 2, it gets pushed way down in the search results. I think I listed 10-15 items, and sold 2. I personally wouldn't use it for selling ponies or 80's toys.

As Ringlets said above, eBay gives your sales the most exposure since many, many people use it. If you're looking for faster sales, eBay is (unfortunately) the widest reaching market.

I haven't sold on ecrater, but I can say that the ecrater stores are difficult from the buyer's end. I've bought a few times, but always had to contact the seller here at the Arena to work out shipping on multiple items & whatnot.

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »
I JUST started selling on eCrater (check out my shop! :D)

eBay drives me nuts, lol!  It's a love/hate relationship for me.  I LOVE that I get 50 free listings every month plus they run free listing promotions every so often.  I never opt for any extras in my listings and I try to stay at 50 listings a month to save a little money.  10% Final Value Fee is steep when compared to Etsy or eCrater.  However, a higher number of my items sell when I list on eBay.

I really like Etsy, but of the ponies I've listed on there, I think two sold (it's been a while, I think I had about twenty or so up).  It was a waiting game and I don't like to wait.  I've decided not to sell on Etsy because of this (for now anyway).  Fees were VERY reasonable.

eCrater, from my understanding, has NO selling fees unless the buyer is directed from their search engine (I could be wrong, haven't sold anything on there yet).  The selling fee is only 2.9% of the price.  It's easy to use, I love the layout, and my listings don't expire.  I would say that eCrater is the most user-friendly.  I don't think it gets much traffic.

I also sell on Amazon - I can sell things really quickly, but it is a pain!! SUCH A PAIN!  Why?  Well, no one leaves feedback.  I've sold 20+ items and what's my rating?  2.  A lowly 2.  The comissions are high, but sometimes I have items where I've paid such a low price for them and the Amazon prices are really high, so I can make a reasonable profit.  Amazon for used items: forget it.  I've learned my lesson.  I'm currently working on my second refund.  When it's all said and done, I'm going to be in the hole $10 :/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal