collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gold fish fry  (Read 1265 times)

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
Gold fish fry
« on: October 22, 2019, 10:01:05 AM »
So I got home yesterday and it turns out that I am not the proud grandma of several goldfish babies.

I know they had spawned in the main tank but did not realise that some of the eggs had got stuck on some of the plants so long embarrassing story short I have baby fish.

Help is needed please.

I have managed to get them in to a separate tank currently with no filter at the moment as all the ones I own are to powerful for them. But I am performing regular water changes with water from the main tank which is well established and healthy.

Food wise I have ordered some liquid stuff that should be here soon but I am at a loss as to what I should be feeding. I am hoping to just be able to use regular food but ground up so it is small enough for them to eat when they are ready.

Not sure if this is needed but the parents are a female Shubunkin and the father is either a common goldfish or a comet. They are all aged 7 or so and are just a bit longer than an a5 piece of paper. I am certain these are the parents and not a combination of the three Ryukin in there with them. ( please no comments about mixing single tail and fancy fish together they get on fine and the fancies always get to the food first  :biggrin: ).

So my question has anyone any experience with baby gold fish I think I am gonna need all the advice I can get.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Gold fish fry
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 12:17:30 PM »
Oh wow! Congrats?

I don't have advice but the same thing happened in our pond a few years ago. We..were surprised to see them survive since its outdoor only.

I did learn that they can be resilient little things though, and im sure they will be happy :)

Are they a dark slate colour?  Ours were super dark with a silver underside and eventually turned gold or orange after a few months.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 09:46:52 PM »
Oh wow! My own goldfish have never made babies (not sure if they’re boys or girls or one or the other.), so...congrats, I guess? I’m not sure how to care for baby anything’s, let alone fish. But I’m sure a google search might help a lot!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 07:25:46 AM »
I had this happen a few times with corydora catfish I used to have. I also had guppies and platys that did what livebearers do  :blush: . I fortunately was able to keep them in the main tank and the parents didn’t bother them. I used Hikari First Bites and newly hatched brine shrimp if I remember correctly. I used a out-of-tank power filter on a tall 20 gallon tank with the corys and the livebearers were in a 10 gallon tank with heaters. However, you won’t need the heater, as I am sure you already know.

Other than that, I don’t really remember any extra special care they required. Just keeping the tank clean and being careful not to suck them up in the gravel vacuum. That can be quite difficult in the beginning when they’re so tiny. Can’t wait to see pictures when they’re big enough to do so.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal