collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: For collectors only; did you give up on the Core Seven?  (Read 2928 times)

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
For collectors only; did you give up on the Core Seven?
« on: May 21, 2013, 12:41:57 PM »
As I have mentioned, I am not (yet?) a collector, but I am curious as to how many of you continued to collect ponies during the Core Seven era.

This is actually G3.5 not G3 as far as I can see, but what basically happened is that instead of continuing to create more and more ponies, Hasbro just updated the same seven ponies again and again.  Did you still collect them each time they came out or not?
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
Re: For collectors only; did you give up on the Core Seven?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:44:39 PM »
I didn't and I still don't with the Mane 6. I have one of each pony except apple jack cause I can't seem to find her in stores.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:46:32 PM »
Yep, I was done at that point. I was annoyed at the idea of repeated releases and wanted nothing to do with it. Struck me as cheap. I loved the varieties of  G3s up until then.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »
I collected a few of each when the G3s first started (but not labeled as "core" or "mane" yet). When Hasbro got rid of the variety and ONLY started making "core 7" I stopped buying ponies. I think I bought the xmas ones, which were "core" at the point, but only b/c of the theme.

I have not bought into the "mane 6" reissues. I did buy the FS ones and the first releases. any duplicates I got are from buying others like Nightmare Moon or the princesses, adn I customize the extras.

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
I agree with Roogna - except for some of the holiday releases of those "Core 7" ponies, having the same ones released over and over definitely killed my want to continue collecting G3s or whatever you want to call them from the stores. I definitely LOVE early G3 with variety as SDS mentioned. They were awesome!
But, also as mentioned, the "Core 7" the "Mane 6" - for G3 and G4 - is wearing thin on a lot of people. Unique and new characters coming out was one of the major draws for many people to the G1 ponies. :)
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »
I don't like lots of one pony unless it's one I really like (Peachy) or one that I want to make a variant rehair of (Gusty).

With G3s I got fed up of seeing the same ponies over and over when looking at lots, to the point where my g3s got donated to a friends daughter (except for Silver Rain) so I didn't have to see them anymore and Silver Rain has only recently been put back on the shelf. That's what repeats did to my liking for even individual G3s.

And when I needed to sell a few ponies to pay a bill last year the G4s went.

my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »
I'll happily have the same pony again if there is something different about it.

So if it has a different pose, tinsel vs no tinsel, or changed symbol (I'm thinking like in the G3 how they had their names on them sometimes, and other things)

With the new G4 lots, like Roonga, I only have doubles of ponies that aren't noticeably different because they came in a double set when I wanted the other pony from that set. These I don't display and go to sell, or whatever.

I don't even think I could get an army going and have loads of the same pony as I wouldn't see the pleasure in them all being the same.   

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »
I stopped with the G3 as soon as they really went with the core 7... recently, I have all of my core 7 ponies to a little girl who will love them more than I... I kept all of my older, more original G3's lol

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »
During the core 7 i pretty much got one toy of each character and that was it.
I only bought two versions of G3 Core 7 Sweetie Belle and i regretted it as soon as she arrived.
So yeah, that was a really boring time. These days it really isn't that much better. So many re-releases without any differences at all.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
I stopped when they came out. I stopped collecting and looking at ponies. They had really upsetted me alot. I even sold off most of my collection. Not really sure why I didi that, but I did and will never do that again.  I bet that time saved alot of collectors alot of money though. 

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 02:21:32 PM »
Yep, I was done at that point. I was annoyed at the idea of repeated releases and wanted nothing to do with it. Struck me as cheap. I loved the varieties of  G3s up until then.

Completely ditto this.

I don't like ponies that move, light up, or so forth, and I don't want multiples of the same pony.  So yeah, I was done then.

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
Actually, core 7 did start with G3. First it was the 'clone pose' - all new ponies being in the same pose so that molded clothing could fit. Then it was cut down to the core 7. Then the redesign, or G3.5 as the majority of the community dubbed it, which also only consisted of the core 7 (with 3 exceptions - the nameless mother ponies that resembled Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Cheerilee, who came with baby versions of those ponies).

And yes, I did stop collecting when the core 7 hit. I think the whole time, I only bought one new pony - Scootaloo with a cowboy hat. =P I never bought any G3.5s new, either. It was a very depressing time in Ponyland..
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »
Yes, I stopped on bore 7.
Like PitterPatter says, if it's the same but has a big enough difference, I'm happy to have 'versions'. However, to me, hanger pose pinkiepie with a kite and hanger pose pinkie pie with a party hat don't count! It's the whole Simpsons "Malibu Stacy with NEW HAT" gag over again. What I did with them was pretty much pick a "favorite set" of core 7 and just collect those only.

I went with the Henna Designs ones, as I thought that was the most unique.
But to me a different accessory doesn't make the pony different. New poses or new symbols or some fancy hair gimmick probably would. Like most people want 7 Tales Starlite AND Hairdo Starlite too, they seem different enough.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »
I still bought a few but was generally disappointed with the line.

momo_no_hime

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 03:35:23 PM »
Core 7 was when I took my hiatus from collecting, including the pony collecting community. I think I got a couple of the "clone pose" ones, mainly from thriftstores, and I got one G3.5. Other than that though, I just stopped collecting all together unless I found some at thriftstores.

Unfortunately, G4 is feeling an awful lot like Core 7 all over again. To me anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal