collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Hair Conditioner?  (Read 6538 times)

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: Pony Hair Conditioner?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 06:49:06 AM »
I dye my hair red, and I accumulate that nice conditioner for dye jobs. I use it on my ponies and I swear by it!

I use Johnsons Baby Shampoo & Conditioner! I cant decide if its because I am worried about the soap getting in the ponies eyes or if its just because chemically its one of the gentlest options out there.

O_O Your siggy!! !I drew that YEARS ago!!!! I didn't know it was still around!!!

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 07:46:44 AM »
I was going to ask this recently myself!
It's interesting to see what people use (especially since the few times I've tried to wash & condition a pony they did not turn out very well)
lately I've been using a doll wig conditioning spray. It helps keep the flyaways down but there are a few ponies I have that are getting pretty dry that I think could use something a little more intense.
Does anyone do anything special for ponies with tinsel?

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »
I've used liquid fabric softener on my ponies' hair.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
I have been using Suave shampoo because it's cheap, but still does the job.

Recently, I engaged in a large project of cleaning my friend's 140+ ponies. They had been sitting in dust and grime for over 20 years. Many of which had hair so dry that it made that awful crinkling sound when you handled it.

So after a shampoo, I'd lather the hair in conditioner, let it sit for about 15 minutes and then slowly rinse it out as I tried to comb out the tangles. Worked like magic. Really made the hair soft and managable again.

I would imagine most generic brand shampoo gives you the exact same results.

Kaelwyn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »
My ponies use the same conditioner than me: Tresemme Color Fade Protection  :biggrin: It has even tamed some wild tinsels.

I've used some other brands before and all of them have given good results if I've let them sit long enough and repeated the treatment if needed  :relaxed:

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »
maybe I should start a new thread, but can anypony suggest what to do with pony hair that even after conditioning has a persistent curly webby texture?  the hair is combable, but about a third of the hairs "spring back" into teeny curly threads.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »
@Rhini I ll add to PinkRosedusts questions sorry! Where do you purchase it? I ll need to think of a UK equivalent - I really fancy giving this a try.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
@Rhini I ll add to PinkRosedusts questions sorry! Where do you purchase it? I ll need to think of a UK equivalent - I really fancy giving this a try.
Whoops sorry didn't realize someone had asked me a question! Mine was from a local wig shoppe, so that's not much help, but I did a quick google search and you can buy it on US Amazon, anywhere from $5 to $10 and ebay and hair care sites yadda yadda. I did a .co.uk search too and lots of listings still came up :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 02:16:12 AM »
I dye my hair red, and I accumulate that nice conditioner for dye jobs. I use it on my ponies and I swear by it!

I use Johnsons Baby Shampoo & Conditioner! I cant decide if its because I am worried about the soap getting in the ponies eyes or if its just because chemically its one of the gentlest options out there.

O_O Your siggy!! !I drew that YEARS ago!!!! I didn't know it was still around!!!

We are having a Celebrate SDS day! We have to make sure she knows how awesome she is!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Blitzn

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2012, 06:23:07 AM »
I use fabric softener. I also have some wig conditioner and hairspray. For shampoo I use mild handsoap (if any).

BeverlysLittlePony2012

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2012, 06:48:36 AM »
I use the Herbal Essences conditioner in the dark orangy-red bottle, think it's an anti-frizz one. It smells lush and is the best conditioner I have ever found for pony hair :)

I use this too! It is by far the best!

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »
I was going to ask this recently myself!
It's interesting to see what people use (especially since the few times I've tried to wash & condition a pony they did not turn out very well)
lately I've been using a doll wig conditioning spray. It helps keep the flyaways down but there are a few ponies I have that are getting pretty dry that I think could use something a little more intense.
Does anyone do anything special for ponies with tinsel?

I do- if its the colored tinsel (like the G1 stuff) I flat iron- while its wet. It works best if you can sort the tinsel out from the hair. For the clear tinsel I use dryer sheets and cool water- no heat ever. It get a sort of weird film on it but straightens the tinsel out and reduces frizz. After I just shampoo (to get rid of the residue) and condition like normal :)

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 10:45:35 AM »
I'm not too sure what you mean by webby texture without seeing the pony. My best guess is maybe the hair has been damaged by heat. You can attempt to try and flatten it out with a flat iron if you are careful. Even then, if the hair is already damaged it's going to always have an odd texture. Other than that, I'm not sure what can be done outside if rehairing.

maybe I should start a new thread, but can anypony suggest what to do with pony hair that even after conditioning has a persistent curly webby texture?  the hair is combable, but about a third of the hairs "spring back" into teeny curly threads.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 11:56:47 AM »
I'm not too sure what you mean by webby texture without seeing the pony. My best guess is maybe the hair has been damaged by heat. You can attempt to try and flatten it out with a flat iron if you are careful. Even then, if the hair is already damaged it's going to always have an odd texture. Other than that, I'm not sure what can be done outside if rehairing.

ok, I'll post a pic sometime in a new thread.  thanks for the advice!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »
somones going to laugh at me...but....
i scrub ponys and the hair with "mane and tail" and then condition the hair with the conditioner form of mane and tail....but...ive been using it on myself for going on 15 years.......seems to work rather well

I use Mane and Tail on my own hair. It's the only shampoo/conditioner I've found EVER that works with my hair. I have a joke that I actually really am a My Little Pony!

I never use it on my ponies though. For them I use Suave, mostly because I had leftover bottles from before I discovered M&T, but they seem to work very well for synthetic hair.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal