collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gusty variant with PURPLE streak???  (Read 6404 times)

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
Re: Gusty variant with PURPLE streak???
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »
Intriguing! I think it could go either way to be honest! She is gorgeous whatever though :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »
What a beauty! No idea if she's genuine or not, but she's gorgeous in any case.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline willa

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Greek Ladybird Mint in Egg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »
She looks lovely with a purple streak!  I'm leaning towards rehair, especially as the head is loose but i guess anything is possible these days! x
SEEKING... Princess Taffeta & Pristina, 7 Tales Bon Bon and Peru Unicorns Moonstone & Windy x

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »
She is lovely....I am hedging to rehair simply because of how messy the inside is but also because even her tail looks incredibly glossy and shiny and has a little "new hair" look....if the green of her mane is a perfect match to the green of her tail why dont you see if she has an original washer or other on her tail?

I am going to hope for "cool variant" though cause thats always fantastic!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »
She's gorgeous... whatever she is.  Purple suits her well.

Offline SummerSkye

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
I think she is a rehair also but she's beautiful!  :lol:

Offline Hatsetsut

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
she is a great pony! :O I hope the hair is original, because is most beautiful that the original red ;)
but, the hair inside... the original hair is plait inside, and this is glued :S
I don´t now if she is original, but she is lovely ^^

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
OK, this is getting weirder and weirder, and I'll tell you why in a minute.  First, let me say that I've been collecting ponies almost since the beginning, about 29 years now.  I have about 700 G1's.  I've cleaned up lots of flea market ponies, but I've actually never rehaired or customized, and I've only removed the heads a few times.  So I wasn't really sure what the internal weave looks like when it's original.  I was actually under the impression that factory weave is usually messy and tangled, whereas rehair weave is generally neater.

I actually don't have another US Gusty with me right now to do a direct comparison, but her green hair (both mane and tail) is an exact match for my UK Gusty.  The tail looks to be original; it's secured by a metal washer, and it just "lays" right, you know?  With the customs I've seen, the hair just never lays quite the same as a factory pony's.

Same with her mane.  It just lays right, and the ends look factory even.  They're even, but not straight-cut even; they don't look like they were cut with scissors.  The same with the purple streak; the ends are just slightly different lengths.

The weave is equally messy for both the green hair and the purple streak, and there's definitely some glue on it.  PKW raised a good question about reddish staining around the plug holes, and I don't see any on the outside.  Her neck around her hair plugs looks white (or slightly off-white).

Now here's where it gets interesting:  I tried to look inside with a flashlight to see if I could find any reddish bleeding around her plugs internally.  It's impossible to see her white body past the tangle of plugs, but I saw something red in there.  At first I was disappointed.  I thought, "Well, that settles it then; she's a rehair after all."  But I kept looking at it for a while, and I realized I wasn't looking at her white "skin" stained by red hair plugs that had been removed.

There's a small tangle of red hairs mixed in with the purple ones.  They're not visible on the outside; there's not a single red hair in her external purple streak.  They've all been pushed inside.  They're tangled and mixed in with rest of the messy green and purple plugs.  Most of them are held in a tight tangle very close to the plug holes, but a few of the hairs loop out with the rest of the tangle closer to where I can see them.  They're definitely red, bright-Gusty-streak red.

So now I'm pretty sure she's the real thing.  I am such a proud mamma right now.  :)

I'll try to get a better pic later tonight with a real camera (instead of the camera phone pics I posted), but it won't be easy.

Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 06:52:06 PM »
I completely understand where you're coming from!  I had this huge discussion about my Icey and his dark green stripe (see siggy).  But that sounds similar to what I found with him.  He has three plugs of blue threaded into his mane, two were cut out.  (more info in his description in my link below)

So I'd venture to say she's the real thing.  :)

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »
Maybe the ponies I get are just extremely poorly done, but whenever I've taken off a head the weave was extremely messy and tangled inside. (This is true of a Gusty I just finished restoring)

Maybe you got one by someone new to the factory who was practicing with the wrong color hair  :)

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »
She looks pretty with the purple stripe, but I'm leaning toward rehair.

I always thought the factory weaving is usually neat & clean since its done by a machine. A rehair can go either way on messy vs neat depending on the technique of the person rehairing... years ago people did rehairing with a more " neatly stitched" look from the inside of the head using a curved needle, but now people tend to use the "knot & poke through with a rehairing tool" method. If the stitching is messy, I'd assume it was a rehair. If the green of the mane matches the tail, it could be because people use original pony hair (typically from a donor tail) in restoration work.

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 08:01:31 PM »
I completely understand where you're coming from!  I had this huge discussion about my Icey and his dark green stripe (see siggy).  But that sounds similar to what I found with him.  He has three plugs of blue threaded into his mane, two were cut out.  (more info in his description in my link below)

So I'd venture to say she's the real thing.  :)

Yeah, I read that discussion about the blue hairs mixed in with Thai Icey's dark green streak.  I was thinking the same thing.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »
Omg how awesome is this!?!?
So friggin cool!!! man I swear we wil never run out of new nirvana ponies!!!
Super duper big old pooper congrats to you!!
She's outta sight!!
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

Offline SFlame

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+123)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »
I think it's likely that the red hairs are residual from where the red was removed and the purple replaced them?

Offline TE_Starflower

• Trade Count: (+64)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 03:56:45 AM »
DEspite her beautiful looks (though I really like that surgerberry red) I feel she's a rehair, especially with those red remainant hairs.  The purple streak is too full looking.  And it's possible to rehair only the streak and leave the main colour, which I think may be the case.

sales album: http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,292573.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal