collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Selling my collection, need some input  (Read 365 times)

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Selling my collection, need some input
« on: February 26, 2024, 08:53:45 AM »
After many years of debate, I think I have finally gotten to the point of finding new homes for my collection.  Most are from my childhood and yes, I'm a child of the MLP era! I remember buying them in stores and getting them as gifts for birthdays and holidays.  I took VERY GOOD care of my ponies and most, with only a couple exceptions, are in fantastic condition.  This decision comes from the fact they have been packed away in totes for years, literally!  I love them, but I want them to be appreciated, and I know my kids would have no interest and I don't want them to just be dumped at Goodwill when I'm gone.

What I need input about is this...while I kept everything, stickers, backcards, combs, brushes, ribbons, etc...they aren't necessarily all together.  I did keep a list of what baby pony items came with which pony, so I could match the exact ring toy/xylophone/other to the right pony (I just have to find the lists!), so I know I can put the full sets back together.  The only exceptions to that would be the ponies I added to my childhood collection, and the accessories for them. That being said (yes, I was that anal retentive as a young person!), is it better to try to put all the sets together, or just sell things as I find them but with the tag of "this goes to xxxx pony?"

Also, I am planning to got to the MD meet in April, as I want to sell as much off recorded paypal services as possible.  I do have playsets, including Paradise Estate and the UK Kitchen and Schoolhouse, although I'm still going through to see if there is anything I really do want to keep for me.  I can't possibly take everything, though.  What is going to be best to try to take for in person, vs what is fine with on line? 

Depending on how much time I have to devote, I'll do what I can for getting items ready for sale...I have moved a couple times, so I need to find where things ended up.  It will just be helpful to have an idea of where my energy can be best spent prior to the end of April.   :think:
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Selling my collection, need some input
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 09:48:09 AM »
The playsets would probably be best to take to the meet, especially Paradise Estate, since those would be a pain in the neck (not to mention expensive!!) to ship so you might get more interest if selling in person :)

Good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 10:01:52 AM »
I wish I was in MD! Agree to at least large playsets in person granted you are able to drive there. Would be interested to see what you have if sell here!

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 02:02:11 PM »
I'm a professional toy show and convention dealer! So, here's my couple decades experience for advice:

Want top dollar? Put every accessory with the correct item and sell ponies as close to complete as possible, but individually. This will take absolutely forever to get done, but will net the most income.

Play sets are a nightmare to ship, especially ones like Paradise Estate. Shipping can easily go over $50 for things like Dream Castle due to the oversized box. Try to sell those in person at pony meets or shows, or even listing on Facebook or Craigslist for local pickup only.

Want things gone faster? Group in lots of around 10-20 ponies of similar types, ie: babies, sets, color, species. Or, find a dealer who would be willing to buy it all for a steep discount, but it's all gone at once. I know a person or two who would be willing to buy if you're interested in going this route.

I'm also in Ohio and will be vending a number of shows this year! They're already booked for the March shows, but I can highly recommend getting a booth at the Columbus Toy Show and Great Ohio Toy Show (in Xenia) for this fall. The Marysville Toy Show in April might have some spaces left? I'm missing out on the Western Ohio Toy Show because it's the weekend before I leave for Seaquestria Fest in Ocean City, MD and need to dedicate more time to making art for the convention that close to the deadline. Western Ohio Toy Show is new and that will be their second show, first at that location. The one they held in Springfield last December was decent and had really good advertising; I'd vend if timing worked out.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM. And, if you vend any of those shows, please let me know! I'll absolutely come say hi and dig through what you've got :D

Offline Squirtsquirt

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 08:53:45 AM »
Thanks, that was about what I figured.  It will depend on how much time I can really pull things together, as well as luck finding the things that are missing!  I know I have everything, it's just the "where" piece that is eluding me.

I did look at possibly going to Xenia last year, but decided I didn't have enough time to try to get things ready.  I have my basic pony stuff for sale, like my G3s and some random G1 ponies and accessories, so that is ready to just grab and go.  With my personal collection, there is just so much to organize.  I don't mind selling here, as most people are OK with friend and family payments and I don't get dinged with the "merchant" tag for tax purposes.  I do want them to go to people that will appreciate and love them, as I've had them for 40 odd years.  I will focus on MD and see how much I can get done, then gauge from there if I can swing another show this year or try to sell here and maybe pick up another next year.

I'm not in any rush, although I did think about the "just sell for $$$ and be done" as an option.  I think I do want the control of seeing where they go, and it's not just about the money.  If they are left for my kids...it would be just about the money.  Of course, there will be a few favorites that will stick around a while longer...  :lovey:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 04:54:24 PM »
I don't mind selling here, as most people are OK with friend and family payments and I don't get dinged with the "merchant" tag for tax purposes.

That voids all protection for the buyer and is not recommended. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Squirtsquirt

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 07:53:46 PM »
I don't mind selling here, as most people are OK with friend and family payments and I don't get dinged with the "merchant" tag for tax purposes.

That voids all protection for the buyer and is not recommended. 

Yes, I know that and I don't demand anyone use that method. I just prefer it (as I said because of taxes...I don't hold my breath the government won't try to push that through again to demand everyone pay taxes when they collect more than $600 with sales) and if anyone is absolutely adverse I understand.  Fees are getting out of control, and honestly that is partly why I'm ready to just be done with selling.  It's no longer fun and I'm tired of battling the scammers/mentality that everyone is out to screw people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal