collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Not feeling the love for our G4 collection anymore  (Read 1346 times)

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Not feeling the love for our G4 collection anymore
« on: January 27, 2014, 03:32:57 AM »
While my hubby and I were out on Saturday, we must've gone into about 3-4 stores that sold MLP FIM items and I gotta say... nothing grabbed my eye or jumped out at me. Normally I would be super excited and grabbing them up but everything was just really underwhelming :huh:

My hubby even offered to grab me a few ponies that he knew I'd been eyeing previously to them being released in stores over here and I just couldn't do it, I had no interest in any of them whatsoever.

Once we got home I just kinda turned to him and said "I'm really not feeling the G4's anymore, I would rather just focus on our G1 collection".

So, I'll be going through the ponyroom this week and eliminating all duplicates plus MIB/MIP ponies and accessories. I think that we decided to keep prototype's, 1 of each loose pony, funko vinyls, EGD and our FS ponies.

I was initially sad at first. I felt bad that I no longer had any interest in them but after thinking it over and talking to my husband about the pro's and con's, I'm pretty excited about this, the money we get from selling them will be funding the G1 collection and going towards the BJD's that I recently ordered which is great! Plus as an added bonus, eliminating the G4 collection will free up space for all the new G1's that we end up buying.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
Re: Not feeling the love for our G4 collection anymore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:49:12 AM »
*high-fives*

I'm the same recently. I guess it's just a phase - one day you might feel to get some of the new G4's or an older one you haven't got yet will catch you attention. Or you might focus on an another generation fully - I think it's only natural :)

I've felt that way about G3's - in which I got kind of because of the community and Arena and I still love few of them - and recently I feel the same as you do about my G4's. I'm currently matching up the accessories to the ponies to sell them and use the money for buying the few extra G1's I really, really want. I'm sure that in few years there will be a lot of G4's still on sale and they might even drop in prices in time ;)

Good luck with your G1 pony hunt :heart: And getting new BJD's sounds as exciting :silly: I don't own any of the dolls, but I love looking at their pictures over the net :blush:

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 04:22:33 AM »
I haven't felt much of anything for g1s since late 2011, Or really any gen except g4 for that matter. I still like all of them, but, meh, I get bored of seeing G1s in pictures that I feel satisfied enough that I don't want any more and having to deal with cleaning, bad hair, and every other flaw old toys have. It just makes me groan and unhappy.

But I'm easy to please, and G4 flaws or sameness doesn'tbother me. Yes I want more to them, I always want more, but I;'m happy with what there is, and I may like the EQG dolls more than the ponies right now. o.o
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 04:45:54 AM »
I know what you mean. I haven't gotten all the way to 'don't want to do this any more' but it's definitely been on my mind, although possibly in a slightly different way to you. I'm finding the sheer volume of them (I get a lot of mine from Taobao so I don't wait til they're in stores so there's more available to me) is meaning I soon won't have space on the shelves I've dedicated to them and they'll have to expand into other areas. The thing is, when I planned my shelving I made sure there was enough room for all the US and UK G1s with glass cabinets for Nirvanas (which are full!) and there is very little room for manuvre for more shelves. When I do use the limited space for more shelves I want it to be for the Nirvana overspill but it's looking like I'll have to put G4s on them. I've been wondering if I should just focus on G1 (and G3 exclusives) and not bother with G4. Then I've toyed with just collecting Funkos because they're full of awesome. Then I'm thinking, if I'm not actively collecting G4 any more do I want to keep the ones I have already?? It's doing my head in a bit to be honest. I'm ok for the moment but I think I'm going to have to start restricting what I do collect in terms of G4 so they don't take over the place altogether.

Offline missbonbon

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 05:07:01 AM »
I can relate. I kept a select few of my G4's but otherwise i sold 98% of them. I think the reason for me is I don't want 50 of the mane 6, and they focus so much on continuously releasing them with different gimmicks.

Please visit my photobucket to see my princess variant wish list. Photos borrowed from Shelti's site with permission. If they are your photos and don't want them on my link, please let me know, I will take them down right away!

Missbonbon's Princess Variant Wish List

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 05:11:56 AM »
I haven't felt the love for G4 lately myself. Some would say "Well why not go for the funkos, blind bags, and EQG Dolls?" and my answer to them is that I don't care for those parts of the line... Funkos here are only sold really in one store (hot topic) which I'm uncomfortable about going into and EQG just doesn't grab me... As for blind bags, I lost the love for them a while back... too many to collect really.

Shoot I even passed up "Flutter Wings Cadance and Twilight"... they just don't grab at me. I'm slowing my focus on collecting in general. I have a bunch of ponies on hand that I need to clean up but just haven't had time (yet I'm still buying ponies that need to be fixed up XD) Honestly I think the only G4s I'll really get for the 1st part of this year is going to be the McDonald's Ponies when they come out... and the Pre-ordered Firefly (which is probably a remake of G1 Firefly which I'm fine with)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Jennifer2004

• Hooked on Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Looking for Bowtie variants, nirvanas, & merch!
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer Bischoff
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:57 AM »
I went through pretty much the exact same thing with my G3 collection.

When they first came out I was so excited and would hurry to collect every one that came out. I would go to different stores in search of store exclusive, I would search for international exclusives online, I would get super excited anytime I saw a new pony I didn't have and immediately scoop it up.

Then one day I just wasn't feeling it anymore. I stopped going to stores in search of new ponies, I stopped searching for news about new ponies coming out, and if I did happen to go to the store and see new ponies I didn't even feel the urge to buy them.

I moved a few years later and although my G1 ponies were one the the first things I unpacked and I was proudly displaying them in my room, I never even got the urge to unpack my G3 ponies.

A few months later I needed money for tuition and decided it was time to part with my G3 collection. Now I am primarily a G1 collector. Although G2s have started to catch my eye lately. :P

~Jennifer

eCrater Store - Commissions Info - Facebook Page

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 07:53:45 AM »
I can relate too. Don't get me wrong, I Love my current G4s and have no plans to get rid of them and I don't keep duplicates anyways. But they are just so boring because they aren't changing anything expect blindbags and I don't collect those. I'm really only after prototypes at this point and its very unlikely I'll be getting any of those since they rarely come up. Just put them to the side and focus on your G1s :) I've recently started collecting G2s and I'm really happy and loving them much more than I thought I would.

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:54:43 AM »
I haven't bought a G4 since 2012 and I am happy. They're just dupes anyway, or overpriced "exclusives", so it doesn't really matter. I'm very glad you'll be getting something you'll enjoy even moreso. :)

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 07:58:21 AM »
I've run out of steam on G4 as well for the most part, sadly. I thought I'd be really excited for some of the new Rainbow Rocks stuff, but I'm super underwhelmed by all of it. Nothing on shelves gives me that giddy excited feeling, up close and in hand I just feel so very meh about the new toys :\  I started feeling this way sometime around last September, between Minty A going unreleased (with Minty B in a big box set to boot) and the laziness on Chrysalis I became really turned off by Hasbro's delivery of their products. I do still like the show, and there are some G4 things that catch my eye (mostly the licensed plushies we've been seeing from 4DE, BABW, TY, Nici etc) so I haven't lost interest in G4 entirely. If Hasbro ever started making articulated/poseable pony figures, though, I might have to hop back on board and toss my cash their way again ;) until then, I'll most likely be eyeballing licensed merch rather than Hasbro's toy line. I really miss being excited about G4's, but selling off part of my collection was as you said MikeysGrrrl, very profitable and freed up space. It was in the end a good thing, and allowed me to indulge my new hobby collecting dolls. Good luck finding new homes for your ponies :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:00:00 AM by Cool.Breeze »

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 08:04:08 AM »
I'm really bored with G4 myself. Lately I've been focusing on G1 unicorns and G3 ponies. It's still a thrill to hunt for those ponies. I haven't even checked the MLP aisle when I've been out shopping. I hope they release more characters and more poses. Until then I don't think I'll be getting any.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »
I have been feeling the same thing also. I saw all the of the new rainbow power ponies that other day in my town. I did not really jump with much excitement. I think cause its the same ponies over and over. Like of like what they did with the core G3 ponies. That is what stopped me from collecting them. Sad :(

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:30:18 AM »
I've stopped, for the most part, getting the mane 6 over and over, but that was a while back. I get one of each Fluttershy for my army, and then for the most part any new characters that come out-- which is rare-- the minis and any blind bags I particularly like.

Really wish somewhere other than Hot Topic would get the rainbow blind bags around here. They overcharge up the butt for those.

I think the last FiM thing I bought was the rainbow FS Fluttershy, and she was so overpriced I'm not even particularly happy about that. :/ It's disappointing but I'll carry on at this level of collecting for the foreseeable future, I guess.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 09:46:06 AM »
I'm sorta in the same boat when it comes to the G4 toys. I actually forgot about most of my G4s, and I felt kinda bad about it.

I do think a big why is because Hasbro spends so much "time" rereleasing the same characters over and over (or release new characters in a multi-pack, which drives me nuts), that it gets boring and you kinda stop caring after a while. I do check the pony aisle out of habit, but I don't get really excited anymore for the toys. I'm sorta "done" with the blindbags, save for maybe a few characters whenever they release a blindbag of them. And I just can't really get into the EQG dolls like I had hoped. :(

Granted, I'll still buy the BAB plushes, the Funkos, and various other merchandise when it comes to my favorite characters (Rarity and Applejack, for example).
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »
I feel the same way.  I wasn't super into G4's that much from the beginning.  I was excited about hearing MLP coming back to TV and thought maybe they would release a bunch of different characters but since they immediately did mane 6 and continued to do mane 6  I just end up being disappointed each new release. I do have a few favorite characters all in brushable form but Hasbro needs to make new characters.  Their aim will always be little girls and I'm sure even their target audience is tired of seeing the same same 6 ponies each release.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal