collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Least Favorite Gimmick  (Read 7778 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Least Favorite Gimmick
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 08:44:49 AM »
Also guilty of playing with electronic toys in the Tesco/insert store name here toy aisle.

I have a love/hate with batteries because of the risk of corrosion and the difficulty in posting them - but I have no real issue with most of the gimmicks themselves xd.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
Magic message due to the damage sustained by their symbols over time.  Dance 'n Prance-either mine don't work or I do not know how to use them.  Knobs are annoying to see on them.  BBE babies-don't hate them, just seems pointless.  Also, think they would look better as NBBE.  Happy tails too-probably just don't know how to work them, but hate how tangled the tails can get if the hair gets caught when they twist.  The more mechanical gimmicks are the ones I do not care for the most.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2018, 10:20:47 AM »
The pocket G1s.   Honestly, 3D symbols are what made me stop asking for ponies as a kid.  But pocket ponies really bothered me as I always imagined "real" counterparts to ponies running around in ponyland somewhere.  The idea of the pocket disturbed me.  :crazy:
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »
There were plenty of sets that at the start of my collecting career I didn't ever see myself getting - I saw a lot of the gimmicks as really, gimmicky.

But honestly, over time, and as these various ponies have found their way to my - primarily by way of lots, not actively buying them - I totally get turned around and find myself enjoying them. Perfume Puffs were my first example - thought they were utterly ridiculous to begin with and now I just love them. Now as the more unusual G1's find their way to me I just find myself appreciating the fanciful and sometimes ridiculous charm they bring :)

Having said that, I still struggle with the BBE's a tad. There's only a couple more I need to get before I have them all, but they'll never be my favourites - the blinky eye and strange mould is just... strange, and I just don't think it works. And I've never had any actually go through my hands, but the drink n wet babies look odd too. Guess I'll see if I change my mind when I finally get one!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2018, 01:31:30 PM »
I would genuinely love to have an army of perfume puffs. I absolutely adore that hair and their scents are not nauseating <3. Their hair is really soothing to brush and can be made to look amazing.

I am still looking for a Dainty Dahlia in nice enough condition to adopt. She's the only one my sister has but I don't. One day!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »
After seeing the newest ponies, the one with the elongated body, ugh I forget what the gimmick is for it but I know the Songbird Serenade pony is one of them...(forces self to look for it) the spinning skirt thing, how they have the body is horrible... anyway, seeing lots of the recent G4 gimmicks, I'll take the gimmicks from the G1/G2/G3 line any day =P

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2018, 02:42:18 PM »
It isn't G1, but the G4 where you look into their cutie mark and see a picture of their world? What the heck?  There is nothing about looking into anyone's rump design and seeing a whole magical world that is ok.

That would be the Magic Scenes, it's kinda like a view finder, minus the ability to flip through slides, as it only has one picture.

Here are her Rarity and my Rainbowdash. I rather like them and wish they'd made more then part of the Mane Six.

https://littlekunai.deviantart.com/art/Rarity-and-Rainbowdash-669042238
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:45:28 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »
BBE: So creepy, I get why teh gimmick was popular/worked, but they are just freaky looking

Perfume Puffs: NOT a fan of these at all, they were literally teh last set I collected because I disliked them so much, the whole point of a pony to me is to have hair to brush, that poofy mess on their heads is just silly!

OTherwise i LOVE ALL the otehr gimmicks of the ponies!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2018, 07:46:46 PM »
I forgot about Perfume Puffs! 

I actually really like the look of them, and I got one as a kid.  I was so excited to open it!  Then I got it open, and the smell hit me.  Those things have *exactly* the wrong smell for me.  Just being around them gives me a combination of horrific nausea and a terrible migrane.  Basically, they're tailor made to make me sick as a dog.  So, my one and only childhood Perfume Puff spent 6 months in a plastic bin covered in baking soda to try to get the smell out.

I tried again as an adult collector to pick up a few of them many years ago.  Unfortunately the ones I bought were in a bit too good of condition.  They've spent the last 15 years wrapped up in 6 layers of plastic bags at the bottom of my closet.  I can't be near them, but the collector in me thinks it's wrong to remove the smell that's supposed to be there:/   I don't know what to do with them.  One of them is Red Roses in pretty much pristine condition!

I still think they look cool though:/   

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2018, 09:37:34 PM »
The Flower Ponies-You know the twice as fancy ones? I think they're called Flower Swirls or something.

The Rock n Beats-The symbols are just-they don't look good. Too busy and the colors clash in the worst ways. Like you can do neon and wild, but the color choices still hafta be harmonious.

Rainbow Curls-This set is right up my alley with the soft, pastel, rainbow colors, stars and clouds and scrolls. There's a Sanrio/Care Bear element to them that I love...and yet there's something off-putting about that whole set. I can't bring myself to like them at all. I think the rainbow babies did it way better.

I don't like the Princess Brush n Grow set.

Most of the Cutie Mark Magic set bugs me. They just went overboard. And on one side too!

All About Mural Ponies are butt ugly.

I don't like the G3s with words on them.

I don't like most of the Art Ponies.

I don't like G3 or G4 Breezies. Some have great colors, but those faces!

G3 Merponies

MLP Animals, be they Hippogryffs, Pony Friends, Pretty Pals, G4 Pets.

Collector Ponies-They have wonderful colors. But that pose!  >_<  Even as I was excitedly looking at the 35th Anniversary set and squealing with excitement at G1s in the store, I couldn't love them enough to pick out one for myself.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:52:57 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline mewthemew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2018, 04:08:44 AM »
Might I also add, I was never really a huge fan of tinsel hair ponies. I know that they're in every generation, so it's probably not a gimmick at this point, but I think it is....and I find it very hard to brush straight in most cases.

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2018, 07:10:44 AM »

Oh man. Same. I think that they are hideous. I don't get why they had to make them look like that when they could have produced a normal looking pony for attendees.

Im glad that the 2018 pony fair is going with a normal simple G1 design

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2018, 07:26:02 AM »
I like most gimmicks, but the BBE ponies are just too awful. Except Baby Lofty, I found her a couple of years ago in mint condition, and she's just so lovely. ^.^

Rainbow Curls-This set is right up my alley with the soft, pastel, rainbow colors, stars and clouds and scrolls. There's a Sanrio/Care Bear element to them that I love...and yet there's something off-putting about that whole set. I can't bring myself to like them at all. I think the rainbow babies did it way better.

I love the Rainbow Curls, but I have exactly the same problem with the Glow 'n Shows. They are everything I should love, except there's something terribly off about them. Maybe it's their colours, their symbols, I don't even know. :|

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline emily_katie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2018, 07:53:39 AM »
Too be honest I love a good gimic, I have no real problem with any of them. But upon thought G2 magic motion has caused me some issues recently...

I often asked myself why Hasbro chose to glue the heads of G1 ponies in place, i thought a spinning head would be better in terms of play for childen and posing for collectors. But i know know why...  :what:

Hair getting trapped in the neck.

My two G2s had masses of heair trapped in their neck and mecanism, so bad that i had to pull off their heads and pull each strand out one by one! The hair is free now but damaged irreparablely so :'(  :yikes:

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2018, 08:20:46 AM »
Equestria Girls-They're ugly, they're cheap, they're awful. I know they were meant to compete with MH and the like, but What part of My Little Pony do you not understand Hasbro?

Fash ems or squish ems or whatever they're called.

Any plushies not in the G3 era.

Post Merge: April 30, 2018, 08:25:09 AM

Oh man. Same. I think that they are hideous. I don't get why they had to make them look like that when they could have produced a normal looking pony for attendees.

Im glad that the 2018 pony fair is going with a normal simple G1 design

I'm curious about that?

Post Merge: April 30, 2018, 08:26:30 AM

I like most gimmicks, but the BBE ponies are just too awful. Except Baby Lofty, I found her a couple of years ago in mint condition, and she's just so lovely. ^.^

I love the Rainbow Curls, but I have exactly the same problem with the Glow 'n Shows. They are everything I should love, except there's something terribly off about them. Maybe it's their colours, their symbols, I don't even know. :|

It's interesting how that goes sometimes isn't it? Something ticks all the right boxes but we don't like it.

I love the Glow n Shows. So its neat that the we have mirror opposite opinions on two sets.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:27:49 AM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal