collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your top 5 pony finds!  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Your top 5 pony finds!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 07:46:43 PM »
I really like these threads!  I love seeing all the pony luck.
I have been collecting for a long time so I have had my share of finds.  If I have to pick just five...

5.   A lot of 40 g1s for $40 at a resale shop that my dad found.  This included accessories, a complete Home Sweet Home, two pearly babies, and I think one of the cake sisters. 

4.  A group of 10 ponies including Tux n Tails and Scribbles for $10 at a flea market

3.  The mail order mommy pony for a $1 at the flea market.

2.  Rapunzel for a $1 at a flea market.  I was only 14 and had no idea who she was at the time.

1.  And my find to end all finds.  Something that will never happen to me again and even tears the Rapunzel find to pieces.  I found Fuwa Fuwa, a mib takara pony for about $50

Wow! That is some amazing pony luck!!!! Congrats

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 09:37:49 PM »
5. I've been able buy several international exclusives G4 brushables and blind bags over the years at what I feel were decent prices, as well as a few rare prototypes. I think the luck is being able to afford them at the time they popped up. (Thinking of Star Swirl, Daisy Dreams, Rainbow Flash, Skywishes, Wave 2 BBs, & prototype Cadance and yellow filly.)
4. A few times I found full boxes of blind bag ponies at either Target or Walmart and was able to collect all the ones I wanted in one go using codes that used to be imprinted on the bags. (It was great not having to hunt around forever for a certain few or have to result to ebay)
3. I found several Funko Glitter chase ponies at Hot Topic. Fluttershy was the first and I was soo excited. I remember being particularly excited to find AJ too because by then glitters were getting much harder to find and were getting quite expensive on ebay. Trying to remember back but I *think* the others I found were Dr. Whooves, 2 DJ's (one I traded for Octavia I think), and Daring Do and Shining Armor.)
2. Not a find but awesome pony luck. Before it was even showing up in stores, I won the TRU excl. Friendship is Magic Favorite Collection with Chrysalis, :muffin: Pony, etc. at the Pony Fair 2013 raffle.
1. Prototype G4 Minty Type A on ebay. Auction ended without a bid. I messaged the seller with an offer. They accepted.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 03:33:45 AM »
Hrm. Finds as in in person finds?
Or on ebay finds?
Or in trade finds?
Or..?

I guess the best carboot sale find was the day we showed up at the carboot sale to find the local collector selling up and she had like 600 ponies. That was the best carboot sale day and we got some amazing ponies (and trades) from that day. Including a complete set of jewellery babies for £1 each with bracelets, five out of six windy wings (just Starry Wings missing), some Macau and Italians and Baby Gusty who I <3 to bits.

We had some really amazing finds at our carboot sale (now sadly gone :() though. Baby Leaper, Mimic, Diamond Dreams, Himmelstanzer, and tons of Mountain Boys and UK ponies and accessories. Just that one day really sticks out. That and the day I got Glory and Moondancer, because <3 Glory and Moondancer!

I guess the best ebay find was Baby Susie in her alt pose. But at the time I didn't realise it. I thought that she was just a regular variant and lots more would come up soon. She cost me $21.

I guess the best trade ...was either my trade with my first trade partner, in which she brought a suitcase of ponies from the US for us (she had family she was visiting in the UK). That was pretty amazing. Otherwise it was the trade I did for a "fakie Minty" who turned out to be the yellow and magenta italian Minty in the mid 1990s. For a long time people called her a fakie and didn't believe she was real. Now they do :) I traded a regular Minty for her, because I was curious and wanted her even if she was fake. And the person who had her wanted rid of the fake and wanted a normal Minty. And it turned out that Minty was actually a variant.

And the most special childhood pony acquisition? Maybe waiting for the orange stall to open at my Dad's fete to get Gypsy for 30p ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shabi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 04:07:57 AM »
1. First release Apple Bloom and Wonder Waves Surf Shop (with no ponies or accessories but still) for free as a "thanks for buying" from one seller.
2. First release G4 Sweetie Belle for 35 cents at the flea market. She had faded hair but I still love her.
3. Italian Hearttrob for 8$ (3$ for pony and 5$ for shipping). I thought she was the usual one because I could only see her head on a small blurry picture. But I need G1s so desperately and they're so rare in my country I did not bother to ask. I think my heart stopped when I opened the parcel. The seller wanted 100$ for Celebration Castle, haha!
4. Italian Peachy as a gift from seller. She's got no tail and her eyes are almost vanished but she was free so I don't complain. I think it was the same seller who sold me Salty and Wigwam for less than 1$ because they had similar issues.
5. My first G1 ponies were actually my all time favorite pony Lemondrop and a boy pony - Tex!

I think the most lucky thing in my pony collecting was discovering that Ukraine exists, lol. There are so many G1, G2 and G3 ponies unlike my country.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 07:13:41 AM »
I found a bag of rare g4 with all the accessories for like 10 to 20 dollars
Complete waterfall for 40 dollars
A box of baits that had 50 ponies 25 dollars
Bowtie plush for 3 dollars
And a bag of equestrian girls for 10
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 12:24:43 PM »
Hmmm... 5 memorable moments?...

1. Picked up an alt. birthflower who was slightly hidden in a lot. By the time I sold everything else I didn't need she owed me about $6US. To this day she's still the only one I have, lol.

2. A Mummy Berrytown came up on a local auction site. At the time there was this other collector out there who constantly outbid everyone else to the point of annoyance. I placed a bid, and within 5 minutes this person came along and outbid my max bid. For about 20 minutes I was like, grrr... and then I refreshed the listings and what the?! A buy now lot got listed with about 5 or 6 ponies - among them would you believe, Mummy Berrytown! I snapped up the buy now, which was about $15US not including postage, and got Baby Palm Tree, Goldilocks, Pony Bride and Baby Applejack in the process!! That other bidder was welcome to that other Mummy Berrytown, lol!

3. An ebay lot for about $80US, but which came with about 15 ponies, among them 4 of the TAF babies  :lookround:  The seller also threw in MO Stockings, who wasn't in the photo!

4. A super happy happy joy joy moment for me was a lot I had bought in the past year. I was happy at the time of buying as I had managed to snag ChaCha the Llama, albeit in average condition. The seller mentioned there were a couple of mommy charms in the lot, but didn't include them in the photo. When I got the parcel, not only was there a bunch of pony accessories they'd not mentioned, but the two charms came swinging on the super elusive pink chain that you could only get through mail order. I'd always wanted it. Never thought I would ever get it. As you can imagine, I literally screamed  :lol:

5. My best ever, use up all my pony luck moment, was Sweet Scoops. $15 buy now on ebay. My whole body couldn't stop shaking for about an hour afterwards!

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 12:53:45 PM »
Hmm well so far I haven't had many super amazing finds, but here they are!

1. Rosey Posey for...I think it was around $2 at a thrift store in mint condition, still has her mane and tail in their plastic/band. I didn't even know how rare she was until I got her home and did research, but I picked her up because her cutie mark was so interesting and different. I later found a second one at the same thrift store and gave her to my sister, who also collects.

2. Near mint-condition TAF Dancing Butterflies and Baby TAF Dancing Butterflies, both found at a thrift store for a total of around $4-$5 (if that) when I was little. I love this pair so much, but I didn't realize the TAF babies were hard to find until much later. I was always very careful with my toys though so they survived my childhood with no extra marks on them and remain near-mint today.

3. Baby Woolly at a thrift store for like... $0.50. He has a couple hair plugs missing but is in otherwise great condition.

4. Just recently I found a Medley eraser at an antique store in a $5 pony bag. I'm not sure whether they're actually rare, but it was such an interesting find and I adore it. I've never found one before either.

5. My first G1 ponies, which I found at a yard sale when I was about 7 or 8. I didn't know much about G1s at the time, having grown up with G3s, and only did research a bit later to find out who they were. I got Paradise, Steamer, Princess Dawn, CF Cotton Candy, Baby Stockings (she's in great condition and a crisp white), and a few others for a couple bucks, all in fair too good condition. They haven't sustained much extra wear over the years, aside from Paradise who might need to be deflocked.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 01:50:23 PM »
I really like these threads!  I love seeing all the pony luck.
I have been collecting for a long time so I have had my share of finds.  If I have to pick just five...

5.   A lot of 40 g1s for $40 at a resale shop that my dad found.  This included accessories, a complete Home Sweet Home, two pearly babies, and I think one of the cake sisters. 

4.  A group of 10 ponies including Tux n Tails and Scribbles for $10 at a flea market

3.  The mail order mommy pony for a $1 at the flea market.

2.  Rapunzel for a $1 at a flea market.  I was only 14 and had no idea who she was at the time.

1.  And my find to end all finds.  Something that will never happen to me again and even tears the Rapunzel find to pieces.  I found Fuwa Fuwa, a mib takara pony for about $50

That is wicked luck!  Were you the one who found the Takara at a 2nd hand toy shop while on honeymoon in Japan?

Himmelstanzer
Who is this pony?  I think you have mentioned it in other threads, but never heard of it.

My top 5 that I can think of, in no particular order:
-eBay BIN with Lil Sweetcake with other ponies for $16
-eBay BIN for Ice Crystal for $50
-MOC My Little Puppy Sweet Spaniel set at flea market for $0.50
-MO TAF Baby Sugarberry and Baby Love Melody at another flea market with a bunch of other 80s/90s girl toys for total of $15
-Childhood Mimic was $1.75 second hand (don't remember when I got her but all my childhood ponies were second hand).  I did find another Mimic at a thrift store a few years ago, but she had the name Nicole written across one side in permanent marker.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:24:16 PM by nessa16 »

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »
I can probably count the # of times I've found ponies in the wild. My choice of top finds are going to be weird to others, as they weren't valuable but the ponies or circumstances were special (in no particular order):

1) Found Lofty at the Salvation Army. She was one of my first, if not the first, pony I ever received. I remember putting her on my headboard that night. I got her while her set was still in stores because I remember getting Paradise from TRU after finding Lofty. Getting Lofty is my first MLP memory, and I would have been 2 years old at the time.

2) Coming home to a bag of 4 G1s my mom had found at the Salvation Army. Among the ponies were two who we become my favorites (Moonstone and Sweet Stuff). The occasion also marked the first time I'd ever seen a TE pony outside of the cartoon series. My Sweet Stuff would also be the only TE pony I'd ever see in person until about 2 years ago when I started my adult collection.

3) Finding Wave Runner at a yard sale at around age 10. I had sold off my pony herd a couple years earlier (except for a couple favorites). Finding Wave Runner renewed my interest in MLP.

Offline tebrighteyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »
@nessa 16

Yep! That was me.   I don't really collect nirvanas though.  I love them but there are other ponies I want first.   So Fuwa Fuwa now has a wonderful home with a member here :)

oh actually I wan't on honeymoon though but it was a 2nd hand store in Japan.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:04:06 PM by tebrighteyes »

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
@nessa 16

Yep! That was me.   I don't really collect nirvanas though.  I love them but there are other ponies I want first.   So Fuwa Fuwa now has a wonderful home with a member here :)

oh actually I wan't on honeymoon though but it was a 2nd hand store in Japan.   
I remember reading that story when you first found her.  Just incredible! 

"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »
@nessa - Himmelstanzer is the German walking pose version of Skydancer. I tend to try to use the German names for the ones that have other versions because then it's easier not to get confused :)

When I first found her, though, I had no clue who she was, so I called her Seagull. ;)

I think Rapunzel for $1 is pretty cool. The Japanese one, I also remember the story of your finding her xD. I also remember someone on here had one from a childhood friend or something? Takara ponies get around into the strangest places.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
@nessa - Himmelstanzer is the German walking pose version of Skydancer. I tend to try to use the German names for the ones that have other versions because then it's easier not to get confused :)

When I first found her, though, I had no clue who she was, so I called her Seagull. ;)

I think Rapunzel for $1 is pretty cool. The Japanese one, I also remember the story of your finding her xD. I also remember someone on here had one from a childhood friend or something? Takara ponies get around into the strangest places.
Ah, ok I know which one you're referring to.  I feel like I also remember some story about someone having a childhood Takara, or similar story.  There was also a story about someone finding Rapunzel for like $4 at a toy show.  For which she basically paid in change because she didn't have cash on her or something like that.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 12:05:24 PM »
I got Near Mint Taf buttons, Twinkler, Baby Apple Delight and Winger Buzzer in an antique mall for 1.50 each.  Once I went to the thrift store and came home with 8 bags of about 15 G3's in each.  None of them were duplicates and each back only cost me .50.  They were having a clearance sale.  Inside one of the bags was a 1980's Lullaby nursery bear that I was missing for me set, along with Sherbet with her barrette and comb.  I also found one of those G1 ponies that you open and it has the ring inside with a couple of other items.  She didn't have her accessories.  Oh and I have found Baby Whiskers too in a .50 thrift bag along with Applejack, Bowtie, Glory and Parasol.  Found a bag of G2's too for like 2.00.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 02:41:04 PM »
When I first got back into collecting, I found a lot locally for $100, had almost 50 ponies and other vintage toys, but about 35 ponies, including most of the TAFs, rainbow ponies, and a bunch of htf ponies. I traded most of the other toys away, so ended up with pretty much 50 G1's for $100!

I also found a Baby Sugarberry in a cheap G3.5 lot, Baby buttons on ebay for $7, and there was another lot I picked up about an hour away for $1 per pony, a big garbage bag of G1 and G2 ponies. Epic score! For number 5, possibly my almost complete FS AJ, $30 in a huge lot of g4 ponies which I cleaned up, sold off and made a bunch on to buy other ponies with. Buying to resell isn't usually my thing, but it was a nice way to make some pony money as a once off.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal