collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: For collectors only; did you give up on the Core Seven?  (Read 2917 times)

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
Re: For collectors only; did you give up on the Core Seven?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 04:19:37 PM »
I totally dislike the core 7 thing and imo it is what killed G3. This is one of the reasons that I hope Hasbro continues to release new characters (even more characters please!) in the G4 line other than the mane 6.

But I do collect Cheerilees and being a core 7 pony quite a few of the core 7 releases feature in my collection. Unless it is a Cheerilee I avoid the core 7 ponies almost like the plague.

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 04:27:37 PM »
I only began collecting ponies when core 7 started hitting the shelves. I actually went for the core 7 ponies with the "get them all" idea because I had the feeling that if I were to complete the G3 collection, I might as well get these ones first while they were available.. I gathered quite a few and I nearly have a complete Core series because of my first couple years collecting G3!

Unfortunately, they are no where near as fun and interesting as the earlier years so I was sad there were no other ponies available  :huh:

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
I stopped collecting at that point as well. I had a pretty good collection going of G3s, and now I don't collect ponies at all. :/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline anthologia

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • a collection : gathering flowers
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »
Yeeeah, the Core Seven was a bad idea. I do like the variants with things like more involved designs (Like for Cheerilee, http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/c/ce/Hat-cheerilee.jpg vs http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:IMG_7411.JPG). I'm also kind of bitter that they didn't include Minty in the Core Seven but that's just an aside. >>

As for the Mane 6... dear god I want some variety. At least give us some new poses, Hasbro! There's no reason to keep sending them out with very minor differences over and over.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »
I lost steam with the G3 line just before the core 7 came out.  I've since bought a few of the G3s I missed during that time but none of the bore 7.  *yawn*

Binny

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 10:08:19 PM »
Other than Scoot I have all of them in various versions (the gen 3.5s) but I definitely don't plan to get every version of them. Instead I just get which ones I like the best (the Sweetiebelle with muffins on her I kind of want, though XD). My mum recently found a large brushable Pinkie Pie at a thrift store and got it for me which was really sweet.

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
One thing that makes reissues a little better is customs haha. I don't feel as bad baiting  a pony that there are a million of already. I usually use the ponies that come with other things I want, but during the Core 7 and G3.5 there wasn't really anything BUT those ponies.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 05:24:08 AM »
I only ever picked up some G3s - those I liked best rather than complete sets. So the bore 7 was a relatively cheap retail pony collecting time for me. I dont think I actually every bought any of them!

So, no, it didnt stop me collecting; no, it didnt make me fall out of love with ponies. I continued the same...just didn't buy ponies in stores.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Strandperle

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
All Core Seven-ponies I have are secondhand, from flea markets and such. I didn't buy G3s in stores, apart from some few exceptions. When I stumble across G3s on flea markets, I take them if they are not too pricey, no matter if Core Seven or not. But I'm really, really tired of Pinkie Pie, I have like 20 of her oO
Thanks to Lina for my avatar!
~My collection & sales homepage~

Offline Stormrave

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »
For the Core Seven:  I made sure I had one of each character.  I got the special edition Valentine Sweetiebelle, for example.  I also got the ponies with the henna style tatoos on their foreheads because I liked the look.  But that's relatively few given how many they put out.  I just didn't see the point in more than 2 Toola Roolas.

Honestly, I think G4 has the balance right.  I don't mind that they put out the Mane 6 over and over for the kids just getting into ponies, because they do put out some new ponies, like Lyra, Sunset Shimmer, Trixie and Cheerilee.  But they don't put out SO MANY new ponies that my wallet can't keep up with all the ponies I want.  I had a bad time during Butterfly Island, in that I spent more than I should have on ponies, because there were just so darned many.  It's nice to get ponies I want and still have money left over for blindbags, trading cards and G1's.

Offline U2QueenBee

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
I did, yeah.  I collected mainly G1 and G3 (until recently, have started getting into G4s a bit) and I only ever collected the ones I particularly liked in terms of colours and such, rather than trying to get them all.  I also had a sort of 'soft' rule about not buying the same pony more than once if she was released in different poses, as I was getting so many already.  When they brought out the Core Seven thing, I already had all the ponies from it that I really liked, so there wasn't really incentive for me to keep going.  Then when G3.5 was released I didn't really like the redesign, so I stopped following pony stuff for awhile until FiM really kicked off and I got back into it a bit more again.

I've only got a couple G4s so far - I really like Princess Luna's toy iterations and I've got a couple others - but I do miss some of the variety from older generations.  I enjoy the cartoon as well, having recently started watching, it's just that having a small set of fixed characters isn't as much my 'thing' as a collector, compared to variety.  I hope they keep releasing more new pony designs alongside the Mane Six. 

I do have to give it credit though: the cartoon has made me love Pinkie Pie where up till now I kind of hated her because she was so overwhelmingly pink! (And re-released so many times.)  I may actually break down and get a Pinkie brushable now. :P

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »
I have at least one of each of the core 7 ponies in the dress me up mold.  I felt I should at least collect those.  But when they constantly came out with re-releases I stopped collecting for awhile.  I got some of the 3.5 chibi ones, but that was it until G4 came out.

Offline Dludnerad

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
It was annoying that Minty wasn't included in the G3 Bore seven, but there was a BEAUTIFUL Christmas version of her released in the last year before G3.5.

I was disappointed in the fashion 'one pose fits all' ponies, and could see the end of the line, so I bought as many as I could before it was all over. Have a lot of them still in their boxes.

Still looking for the second set of Valentine Sweetie Belle and Pinkie Pie though. They were never sold here. (completist G3 collector. Not many left to go now)

G3.5 were... odd. But they grew on me so i bought a few, hoping that more characters would appear. Still no Minty, even for Christmas and I think it was then that I gave up on them.
And they were really expensive! At $12 a single it was too much.

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline songe-d-automne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 07:09:34 AM »
Yeah...the Core 7 is when I quit, it also happened to come at a time when I was going through a divorce and was dead broke.

I haven't actively collected ponies since 2008, but my now-husband kept picking them up for me as gifts, so I've actually got a decent number of g4 ponies unintentionally, lol.

Why does Hasbro not see that the lack of variety is what keeps killing the line? It reminded me of the way Mattel started marketing Barbies. Same one over and over...with different outfits, and who wants to pay for just different accessories? G 3.5...UGH...just ugh.

That said, G3 became and remains my favorite line of MLP, but pre-Core 7. I like the big eyes, elfin ears, and glowy pearly bodies of the early G3.
~*Amy*~  \"Love me back-and if you can\'t then say so, and let me go with whatever peace I can salvage.\" ~Assia Wevill

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
I actually stopped a little before that because I was saving up to get my own apt. I also was finding a lot of G3's secondhand already so I was buying less retail.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal