collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: does anybody LIKE bbe ponies?  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: does anybody LIKE bbe ponies?
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
I picked up a Furby just to see what they do but it had a lot of leaked battery damage and I haven't tried to clean it up and see if I can make it work...how old does it need to be?

I keep thinking about how good mlp4me's ninja turtle BBE looks.  The eye mask just goes so perfect.

Just needs to be the blinky eyed variety. McD and Digital eyes won't cut it for some reason.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »
It's their bulgy, blinky doll eyes though that forbid me from ever getting any.

With the sole exceptions of Teddy Ruxpin and Grubby. (Because they were awesome back then) I can't have blinky things in my room. They'd stare at me in the dark and come closer.

This fear was made worse by my best friend/roommate's Furby that, I kid you not, still worked after it's batteries were taken out. It would just sit there on the shelf blinking at you constantly. We both got seriously freaked out by the creepy little monster.

My old Furby scared the crap out of me before I got rid of it. It was thrown in a plastic storage bin in my closet with a bunch of other stuffed animals. I hadn't seen it in a couple years but when I was on summer break from my 1st or 2nd year of college, it woke me up in the dead of night with it's "ahhhh" greeting they used to do. I was terrified even after I realized what the noise was. I was totally creeped out because out of no where it just woke up in the depths of my closet. I immediately dug it out and took the batteries out because I couldn't remember how to put it back to sleep.  :shocked: I got rid of it not long after.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2017, 01:52:59 PM »
I don't think I like adult BBE. I dont mind the Lily -lightly type if hasbro ever made them. As for Teddy Ruxpin I never got one of those dolls. I think I had blinking dolls as a kid. They never really freaked me out. I understand they would go in uncanny valley as being strange or too human like.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
Well whatever else can be said about BBEs, waking up after years of slumber or blinking while on the shelf aren't among them.

As to the blinking eyes some of the latest Rarity FS with the action legs do that.

Where is this creepy valley anyway, and who else is in there....must take a vacation there as soon as someone can tell me how to get, how to get to creepy valley....following the yellow brick road no doubt.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »
Where is this creepy valley anyway, and who else is in there....must take a vacation there as soon as someone can tell me how to get, how to get to creepy valley....following the yellow brick road no doubt.

http://www.isladelasmunecas.com/ enjoy your trip :P

lostpony

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »
eeeeeeks no quadrupeds.  It IS creepy! and the pics don't seem to enlarge for me even though it says they do. 

Now I want to setup a pony version and live there.

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2017, 05:16:28 PM »

While a creepy valley sounds fun and full of spooky Halloween stuff, the Uncanny Valley is inhabited exclusively by bad CG and robots trying to hard to look human, and wax figures. It is not a pleasant place. Your entire time there, you will feel vaguely unsettled because the human form, something that should be familiar...is just slightly off.

I had an animation teacher draw a diagram once. The uncanny valley is literally the uncomfortable pit you fall into when you try to make things that aren't human look human. It doesn't apply to marble statues but to many other things, and it's the reason animation companies favor highly stylized designs for human characters.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2017, 05:20:12 PM »

While a creepy valley sounds fun and full of spooky Halloween stuff, the Uncanny Valley is inhabited exclusively by bad CG and robots trying to hard to look human, and wax figures. It is not a pleasant place. Your entire time there, you will feel vaguely unsettled because the human form, something that should be familiar...is just slightly off.

I had an animation teacher draw a diagram once. The uncanny valley is literally the uncomfortable pit you fall into when you try to make things that aren't human look human. It doesn't apply to marble statues but to many other things, and it's the reason animation companies favor highly stylized designs for human characters.

vsauce has an excellent video on this topic!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEikGKDVsCc

wishlist

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2017, 06:18:58 PM »
It's their bulgy, blinky doll eyes though that forbid me from ever getting any.

With the sole exceptions of Teddy Ruxpin and Grubby. (Because they were awesome back then) I can't have blinky things in my room. They'd stare at me in the dark and come closer.

This fear was made worse by my best friend/roommate's Furby that, I kid you not, still worked after it's batteries were taken out. It would just sit there on the shelf blinking at you constantly. We both got seriously freaked out by the creepy little monster.

My old Furby scared the crap out of me before I got rid of it. It was thrown in a plastic storage bin in my closet with a bunch of other stuffed animals. I hadn't seen it in a couple years but when I was on summer break from my 1st or 2nd year of college, it woke me up in the dead of night with it's "ahhhh" greeting they used to do. I was terrified even after I realized what the noise was. I was totally creeped out because out of no where it just woke up in the depths of my closet. I immediately dug it out and took the batteries out because I couldn't remember how to put it back to sleep.  :shocked: I got rid of it not long after.

OMGS!  :shocked:

Post Merge: March 22, 2017, 06:19:57 PM

Well whatever else can be said about BBEs, waking up after years of slumber or blinking while on the shelf aren't among them.

As to the blinking eyes some of the latest Rarity FS with the action legs do that.

Yeah that's true.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
I've never been a fan of the BBE's but I'm onto about my fourth BBE Baby Lickety Split... I keep getting her in lots... and with pink hair...  I think it's a sign. I need to keep her this time  :P

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2017, 08:42:53 PM »
I was very much into little ponies when the bbe came out and wanted every one.  I still get that "awww" feeling every time I see one.  It can never be explained.

But... my introduction to them was seeing them in stores with all their packaging and cute pictures and stories on the back.  I think that helped.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:46:40 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2017, 11:55:45 PM »
I had Baby Heart Throb as a kid, but I actually only picked her out so that I could take her playpen and give it to Baby Moondancer.  (The front of Baby Moondancer's card had a pic of her jumping out of a playpen, but she actually came with a rocker . . .)

The BBE babies do have really nice packaging and accessories, though.  I like that their backcard has a nighttime scene.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

lostpony

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2017, 12:46:33 AM »
Are there any NIP BBEs out there?  Or just the packages etc?  I've only seen the ponies and accessories.

Animating human forms isn't easy; I remember Exo-Squad did such a wonderful job on everything and even the jaw movements etc when speaking but the running was all elbows poking the wrong way and such.

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
I loved the BBEs as a child. I had Baby Lickety Split, and she would do all sorts of things with me. She would close her eyes to say a prayer, sing a song, get soap bubbles in the eye during shower, or simply to go to sleep. I always wanted Baby Gusty, Lofty and Ribbon though. I didn't get access to them until I was much older. Funny how I loved them unconditionally being a kiddo, and viewing them as an adult, it occurred to me that the earth BBEs especially, were kind of odd and ugly looking. lol I still love them though, they will always hold a special place in my heart.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

lostpony

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2017, 11:35:10 PM »
Thats very sweet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal