collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?  (Read 15716 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Re: Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 11:35:09 AM »
I also seem burnt out by my other collections mainly G4s. I dont think I will give them up per-say since I really love all generations and I have more appreciation for G2s than I did starting collecting. Even though there are some Generations that I will not like. G4s have their own thing I agree. I will keep them in their own box. I dont think I will be collecting the G.4 reboot design though. My daughter might be into them though. We both got into the G4 cartoon and ponies. So its something I share with her. I think I will just continue to collect G1s. They are what I love the most.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
I am on the fence, while I like the new designs the same main six over and over is grating on me.

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 10:14:22 PM »
I'm very bored with G4 and have been for a few years. The pearly brushables were wonderful but otherwise it's been very boring to collect since they hardly release any new characters. I miss the excitement of hunting down all the earlier characters like Lulu Luck, Honeybuzz, Twinkleshine, etc. So I focus more on G1 and my other collections right now but I still love and enjoy my G4's that I have, just not actively buying them right now.

Personally I would hesitate to sell them all. I was collecting G1's, Carebears and other 80's toys in the late 90's when I was in high school. After a few years I moved out and all my collections went into storage for about 10 years and when my daughter was around 4 and G4 was starting I bought her some ponies because I remembered how much I loved my ponies. This led me to pulling my old collections out of storage for her to enjoy and I realized that I really still loved these toys and I got right back into collecting. It would have been devastating if I had gotten rid of it all. So think long and hard before getting rid of them all. You might change your mind down the road.   

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 05:42:15 AM »
I definitely don't think they're as good as the G1's.  I'll still buy pieces I like, but with the re-design there are a lot fewer of those now.   :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 06:21:07 AM »
I wouldn't say 100% getting out as I like the collection that I currently have but my interest is seriously dwindling. I just get discouraged every time I go to the toy aisle looking for new things just like when core 7 G3 and G3.5 were in stores. There's nothing I want, it's the same darn mane 6 over and over.  I often wonder why I even bother. I only collect what I lik anyway so I guess I will just save money in that respect. I never really got into EqG. I only got the very first dolls of AJ, FS, and RD as these are my favorite and army characters.

I am excited for new character brushables but hate the new molds. They don't look more like the show ponies to me, they look like they've had face lifts and liposuction or something. The smiles are just creepy. I may end up getting the few new characters like Big Mac but that's it. As for GoH toys, I don't care for them myself but the other day I realized that the fact that they are more like action figures is a way for boys to better enjoy FiM.

I realize that at this point I am mainly playing catchup trying to find/get things on my wishlist that never made it here like the rest of series 3 and 4 trading cards, blind bags, and the FiM Collection story packs for PP's and Nightmare Night lines. Our area has been dwindling in these items for awhile now. The stores never did restock series 3 trading cards and now don't have any at all. Blind bags have been stuck on wave 15 forever!

Finally, I still really like the show. I am waiting for season 6 to come to Netflix as we no longer have Discovery kids/The Hub or whatever they're calling it these days as it was getting too expensive. I actually kind of like it more than the original G1 series just because it keeps my attention better kind of like MLP Pony Tales.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:23:12 AM by nessa16 »

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 07:21:20 AM »
I only collect the blind bags of G4.

I have 8 inch Twilight Spatkle and Rainbowdash that I'm turning into FNAF characters. Just got to get some more 8 inch G4 Ponies.

I'm getting sick of some of the ponies like the power ponies, and the wonder bolt academy; that you can't get the paint off of.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:14 AM »
Sellers remorse is horrible...going through that now. I am loosing some interest but not total. I will pick up new ponies if they do not have that goofy open mouth face thing. They just look silly to me. But I love the EG Mini.

I would keep the collection. You loved it to that point. And maybe at that point you just stop collecting g4 and focus on the toys you love:)

I regret selling so much, I cry
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 09:25:41 AM »
Crowning_Glory13, who did you sell that you regret?

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 09:59:57 AM »
I've never really had interest in collecting G4s. I did get into MLP by watching FiM, however, and I will say that show doesn't really get me hyped anymore. The last season was very forgettable.

|My Collection|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »
I continue to enjoy G4 in certain areas.  I enjoy the show for what it is but I am darn tired of the same characters.  I worry that when G5 does come around that it will just be a redesign of the same characters like other shows (i.e. TMNT, Care Bears, etc.)

As for the toys, I'm not into GoH outside of the lovely sculpts of Celestia and Nightmare Moon.  I kinda want the big dragon and Shining Armor but not enough to pay full price for them. 

I'm not the least bit interested in EG. 

There are too few new brushables and the lag between when we find out about them and when they actually appear in stores is atrocious.  I mean, I *just* found a single set of wave 3 of the pearlized ponies and it has been over a year since we saw them at last year's Toy Fair.  It kind of kills the excitement.

I really liked the Build a Bear ponies even though I don't normally collect plush.  But My enthusiasm has been loosing steam and when I saw the way the new Starlight's hair was stitched  to make it more "show accurate" .... Well it was the last step too far from being horse-like for me. (It doesn't run down the back of her head/neck like a horses mane should but runs horizontal across the back of her head making it look more like a human's hair style)

I do still like the FiM Collection serious.  But that's mostly because my parents have a huge Christmas village/train display that is a family tradition.  And since the FiM collection houses are a good scale for the previous mlp train, I can have my own pony village/train set up.  Otherwise I wouldn't be all that interested in the blind bag sized figures.

In conclusion, it is sad to keep checking the pony isle only to find a bunch of stuff I'm not interested in or already have too many of.  And some of the few things that I am interested in are hard to track down.

lostpony

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »
It's true, the inventory barely changes on the pony aisle.

Offline Storybelle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »
~waves hand~ Ooh, that would be me. I haven't liked/been invested in the show since Season 4 and the toys very rarely hold much of an appeal for me. The pearly ones were the first in a long time that I got excited about, cause there's actually some variety with the characters and they're pretty. I love EQG but not that interested in the merchandise, save for the Sunset Shimmer mini I got. I LOVE Sunset Shimmer.  :blush:

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
My interest has waned a bit, definitely.  I've never really been on board with alicorn Twilight Sparkle.  That really threw off the dynamics of the show for me.  Despite that, I've kept watching and there have been some very good episodes (along with some clunkers) in the past three seasons since that happened.

Equestria Girls has never interested me in the slightest.  I've watched the movies, yes.  Once each.  They've improved since the first, and I'd say the third one is my favorite of the bunch.  But I eagerly await the day when Sunset Shimmer is allowed to return to Equestria...  Sure, she's made friends at Canterlot High, but I'm sure she has friends (not to mention family) in Equestria too.

I'm just not on board with the new G4.5 toys at all.  I'm going to finish up the last of the G4 brushables I need, and then the only existing product line for me to keep up with is the Build A Bear plushes.  I really like them, and the fact they listened to collectors and put out Minty?  Huge bonus points.  I already had all of them to date (except Twilight) when she came out, and her release spurred me to add Twilight (even if she is an alicorn....meh) to my herd as well (it was buy one get one free after all ;) ).  I was excited about Starlight Glimmer, and I actually like what they did with her hair.  For some reason, she looks really cute to me.  So yeah, going forward BABW ponies are about the only things I plan on picking up.  The G4.5 Big Mac doesn't look bad from the pics I saw, so he's a maybe.  The movie toys don't do much for me (and I was looking forward to seaponies... but once I saw them I thought there were hideous; apologies to those of you who like them).

I'm not really sure what I'm going to be collecting when it comes to ponies from here on out.  I've said on here for years I want to get into G3s, and this is my chance.  I'm hoping to come to Pony Fair this year, and if I do I can finally start a G3 collection.  It's funny, I had some G1 when I was growing up (but not much), and it was G4 that won me over... yet it's G3 I fell head over heels for.

To me, a MLP needs to have brushable hair.  It's just one of those expectations (like a Hot Wheels car needs wheels* or a Transformer needs to, you know, transform**) that comes with the toyline.  I don't have a problem with the bronies, but I do have a problem with them changing the way things are supposed to be.  That they can whine for 'molded hair' and then be catered to by Hasbro, or the show inserting memes to pander to that particular audience is what bothers me.  If you come into an existing fandom, you need to respect that franchise, not alter it to what you want.

*Hot Wheels has done a blimp and a submarine...neither has wheels.

**Yes, I know about the G1 Action Masters... that's sort of my point. ;)
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
I haven't really bought any ponies in about 2 years. Maybe I would if I had room for them but I don't anymore.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

lostpony

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2017, 07:38:59 PM »
Sounds like a Ponyville Confidential expose':  "Rainbow Dash's Interest in FiM Waning"

Sorry....

I love the Bab plushes too!  Twilight doesn't Have to be an alicorn, you can chop off those pesky wings easy enough.  Mine are all folded under outfits anyway cuz the fragile wing-bones are mostly broken.  I've got 5 of her in BaB.  Her lines are much cleaner without wings and you can get a lot of party decorations and stickers of Twilight without wings ad Party City and other places.  Aaargh I was broke during the 2-for-1 sale, that hurt.  But I just blew like $400 over the last week on Bab plushes so I made up for it....in ponies, if not deals.

I just got Starlight and loaded her up with outfit, shoes and skates and leash and gave her to a youngster who was absolutely floored and she gave me a thank-you card with hand-drawn ponies in it.  That's never, ever going to get old.

Those of us who are tired of G4 need to remember that it's targeted at an age group that renews and there are new youngsters picking up all the time and S6 is a good example of where we feel the story needs to move a lot further along but a new viewer especially one who's 5 or 8 needs to get introduced without needing to have seen all previous episodes.

G4 will never die:  there are now cookies, 4 foot tall metal Pinky balloons, countless goodies and whatnot and I just dropped $10 for a G4 magazine that seems to be only one issue and is all about a bunch of silly trivia tests for little kids to drill them on the basics of whose cute mark is whose and whose pets are what name etc, obviously to widen the target audience for the move and new season (not to mention stick it to their parents for $10).  That thing is loaded with so many errors.....calls Gummi two different names, refers to Canterlot as the "capital" instead of "capitol", wrong number of spaces in the fill-in-the-word puzzles, etc but, it was G4 and I bought it.

So get used to it, those of you who are waiting for G5 might want to look into suspended animation for a while or something cuz you're in for a loong wait.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal