collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: so we are leaving the EU ......  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
so we are leaving the EU ......
« on: June 24, 2016, 01:12:18 AM »
i wanted to stay but but it looks like more people wanted to leave i am a bit nervous about what will happen to the value of the £ I'm scared !i don't like change !ang i don't want nigel firrage in charge !!! what does every one else think ?

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
Re: so we are leaving the EU ......
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:33:12 AM »
I couldn't believe my eyes.
I think it's horrible. I'm German, and even though I don't agree with many things the EU does, I am scared of what signal this sends to other members. We should have been so proud of this community, after so many years of wars in the past.

Also, what will happen to British passport holders now, where can they work in the future? And who can work in the UK?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:08:08 AM by Honeycomb »

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:35:50 AM »
I am concerned about the breakup of the United Kingdom and that Scotland will leave.  The effect on my friends who all work in science, media, heritage, the arts, non-profit etc.  Buying stuff from abroad will now be really expensive.  I'll have to buy a proper passport.  In a post-nuclear age it's easy to be nationalistic and 'put two fingers up' to the establishment if you think you'll never be conscripted...
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 01:40:23 AM »
I hoped it would not happen but deep down kind of knew it would.

Give it some time to settle down before making any decisions is my only advise it is a shock to the entire planet and the pound drop was going to happen with this outcome.

No point in guessing what is going to happen until it does, personally I intent to just watch my spending a bit and make sure I am covered for the enviable tax hike

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 01:46:37 AM »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 02:43:22 AM »
 :enraged:  :what: :stressed: :whoa:  :enraged:  :what: :stressed: :whoa:  :enraged:  :what: :stressed: :whoa:  :enraged:  :what: :stressed: :whoa:
 :sad:  :cloud:

This is me atm lol my boyfriend is Swedish & still studying in Sweden, he was planning on getting a job here in the UK after he finished his masters &/or maybe do his PHD here.... so now no clue what is going to happen, I am hoping he can still get a job here, especially as he is studying Chemical Engineering & Biochemistry.

Wonder if these means that we have to pay customs charges on anything over £15 from the EU too now :blink:

:yikes:
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 03:54:07 AM »
I was really sad to hear this :( The british expats in this country are really anxious about what will happen. The rest here is just on the 'oh-crap-train'.

think it's horrible. I'm German, and even though I don't agree with many things the EU does, I am scared of what signal this sends to other members. We should have been so proud of this community, after so many years of wars in the past.

Same. The Dutch were already debating about leaving (a couple of times) and I fear this might give that extra nudge.

Good luck! I'm still coming over to the UKcon in October tho! :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:05:58 AM by Moonbreeze »

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 03:57:36 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm having a hard time understanding the significance of being in the EU. Why is leaving such a bad thing, and why did the majority vote for a bad thing? Please enlighten me :blush:

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 04:21:45 AM »
:enraged:  :what: :stressed: :whoa:  :enraged:  :what: :stressed: :whoa:  :enraged:  :what: :stressed: :whoa:  :enraged:  :what: :stressed: :whoa:

This is me atm lol my boyfriend is Swedish & still studying in Sweden, he was planning on getting a job here in the UK after he finished his masters &/or maybe do his PHD here.... so now no clue what is going to happen, I am hoping he can still get a job here, especially as he is studying Chemical Engineering & Biochemistry.

Wonder if these means that we have to pay customs charges on anything over £15 from the EU too now :blink:

:yikes:

He may be fine if sponsored by a company, but who knows.  I'm sorry this is affecting you so directly and I hope it all works out for the best.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 04:26:59 AM »
:hug: I hope this was the right choice. I don't know much about UK or EU politics, I'm doing good to keep the nightmare that is US politics straight (oh who am I kidding, I have no flipping clue what's going on anywhere!), but I really hope things work ok for all those this affects. I think if it were me I'd be scared. Change always freaks me out, but sometimes it can be good. I hope this is one of those times.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Tzan19

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 04:29:59 AM »
I am completely terrified  :yikes: I got a huge shock when seeing the news this morning. Aflame I like you do not like change especially one where there seems to be no plan for the consequences.  I am worried about the £ and the whole economy in general, jobs, house prices the lot.  I live in Scotland and my husband is Greek so I guess it's a huge waiting game for us to see if Scotland will remain in UK and what will happen in terms of his rights to be in this country.  I am also very worried about the xenophobic tone that this whole thing seems to have developed, I don't think that I want to live in a place that is intolerant of other nationalities. :(

As a complete after note (and I know it shouldn't't really be a priority considering all that's happenening :blush:) I am also worried of the impact on the price of my ponies as I feel like even my one small joy and escape is also being attacked!  :sad:

I am glad to see that others are thinking/feeling the same though (generally I mean not specifically about the ponies!)

Tzan
:enthralled:

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 04:32:07 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm having a hard time understanding the significance of being in the EU. Why is leaving such a bad thing, and why did the majority vote for a bad thing? Please enlighten me :blush:

These are my personal concerns about leaving the EU (Brexit)...

1. It is thought that leaving the EU is likely to cause the break up of the United Kingdom; Scotland and Northern Ireland are likely to leave the UK. 
2. Freedom of movement will no longer be the case meaning people will not have the same freedom to come here and work and vice versa.  The UK is seen as the English speaking gateway to Europe by the rest of the world.  Why will a Japanese car manufacturer bother to build a factory in Northern England if we are no longer part of the EU? The red tape will mean such enterprises are not viable.
3. The changes will affect academia, in which the UK is a world leader. With major shortfalls in the funding of scientific research, the core of our academic institutions will be threatened by resulting loss of expertise.  Lack of freedom of movement will affect the academic system where research projects are conducted among international teams.
4. There is a fierce debate as to whether workers rights and equal rights will all be affected however there is/was a raft of protection from Europe and there is no guarantee it will be replaced.  Knowing the views of those who campaigned for Brexit I think it is very unlikely those hard-won protections will be replaced.  This is about the kinds of protections that benefit individuals but are not necessarily in the interests of businesses and greedy politicians.
5. Tax rises
6. Cost of trading internationally will go up for everyone just like trading with the US at present
7. Defense... well I found this article:

"The idea of the UK leaving the EU is “bad, really bad,” said Swedish defense minister Peter Hulqvist in an exclusive interview with Defense News TV during a visit to Washington

His concerns rest on the belief that the best way to keep Russia from making aggressive moves in Europe is a show of unity – one that would be clearly shattered if the UK were to vote for Brexit.

“I think the European Union needs Great Britain, and Great Britain is, for us, a very important partner,” Hulqvist said. “So I hope they will say ‘yes’ to be in European Union, and I think if they say ‘no,’ that will also be something that can be used as a split in European unity, and that’s not good.”

I have no idea who this uy is that I'm quoting but you might!

Here is why people voted for Brexit...

In the last general election, people voted for the Conservatives (Tories) because they were disillusioned with Labour and were worried about the economy.  Since then they have only become more disillusioned. 

- The economic crisis of 2008 has slowly caused a lower standard of living and there is a growing gap between people who are comfortably off and people who are uncomfortable, due to changes in the way employment is structured and a general lack of everything.  Many people who are comfortable have effectively 'pulled up the drawbridge' economically, sitting on their money by investing abroad to avoid taxes or buying property to let out.  There is a palpable cultural difference between the two groups that is becoming more strained as the two groups become more distinct and seperate.

- Immigration has changed the culture of many parts of the UK (mainly poor parts) on a scale not seen for generations.  If people are poor, new people turning up are met with resentment.  Even people who were immigrants themselves just one generation ago.

Other important changes in the UK over the last decade:
- changes to benefits and a war on the disabled causing thousands of deaths by suicide
- a war on the state teaching profession and the privatisation of schools
- privatisation of the NHS and a war on the medical profession, further cuts to mental health services
- poor housing planning and a new housing bill that basically makes the housing situation even more crappy for poor people.  Homelessness is major problem in this country especially if you include the category 'vulnerably housed' and this contributes to poor health, domestic abuse and child protection issues.

So, poor people feel marginalised and have stopped listening to the usual channels of communication between the establishment and the proletariat - namely politicians in Whitehall, the BBC and the newspapers.  So this referendum result is a big 'up yours' to the British Establishment.  No single thing about being British is more important than the class system.  The Scots loathe the British class system (i.e. the Royal Family, aristocrats) and this is the main reason that they want to leave the UK.  This referendum was fought over class and privilege and is essentially a kind of revolt by poor people.  The evidence I have for this is by looking at the results for the different areas in the UK and also talking to a range of friends, so it's all just speculation really!

ArtiexXx
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:06:13 AM by Artemesia Floc »

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:50 AM »
I was really sad to hear this :( The british expats in this country are really anxious about what will happen. The rest here is just on the 'oh-crap-train'.

think it's horrible. I'm German, and even though I don't agree with many things the EU does, I am scared of what signal this sends to other members. We should have been so proud of this community, after so many years of wars in the past.

Same. The Dutch were already debating about leaving (a couple of times) and I fear this might give that extra nudge.

Good luck! I'm still coming over to the UKcon in October tho! :P

see you there !!!

its complicated even i don't know all the ins and outs of it completely but a-lot of brits are not keen on "foreigners" coming to Britain and "stealing" the jobs and taking advantage of the benefits system and the NHS (which is under a lot of strain at the moment) and were afraid that Turkey was going to join and lots of turkish people were going to flood here.As well as that people didn't like the amount of money we were giving the EU £188 mil a week apparently (though this might not be quite accurate )
but we did have open trade with all the EU countries and now we will have to thrash out deals with the individual countries and may have different deals with different rules for all of them  and a lot of people wanted to stay to have stronger pound but ok this link takes you to some more info as my brain just melted !
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-facts-brexit-immigration-trade-economy-fishing-leave-remain-what-will-happen-a7095046.html

hope you find this useful ! I'm going to lie down !!!

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 05:26:22 AM »

hope you find this useful ! I'm going to lie down !!!

Me too!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 05:50:58 AM »

You took the words right out of my mouth. :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal