collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New G4 pony toy designs  (Read 29879 times)

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Upcoming movie design ponies
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2019, 08:48:06 AM »
Rarity's hair is because the Rarity toy shown on Amazon has a color changing gimmick. It's white so that it can change color to purple when you spray it with water.

Thanks for pointing that out! That could be the explanation for that then. We'll see what follows. Looking forward to see what Twilight will look like in this style. :)

Maybe they'll actually give Twilight blue hair, wouldn't that be a dream come true?! :lookround:

I'm more... excited (...?) About seeing Celestia or Cadence (sorry Luna but let's be real, Celestia is more important and Cadence is pink and has more release than either of them). How are they going go put these tall skinny ponies in this style? :biggrin: I can see them just giving them regular pony bodies like they have been.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »
I actually like these! The heads, to me, look more like cats than ponies, which does make them seem a bit mismatched to the clearly-horse bodies... But they are cute to me.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »
Decidedly not G5 unless that is to be G4-but-more-of-the-same. FiM finale/epilogue indicated, in my mind, that wouldn’t be the case. The book is, literally, closed.

As for using the figures to predict the animation style, that’s going to be hard, as G4 brushables and the show figures have not adhered to one another. The eyes are closer to the FiM movie style, but everything else…

And what is the scale of these? Looking at Rarity’s figure, you can see assembly lines on her underbody like might be found on the older princess models, although there doesn’t seem to be any obvious need for a battery (talkbox, light-up hair, flappy wings). If they are smaller, then the bodys are hollow and the head solid? More figures that have to be nailed down so they don’t take headers.

So… yeah… what the hay?

Lastly: Potions? Fluttershy is a mermaid (not hippogriffy/seapony) and Pinkie Pie a “maybe unicorn” wearing a flower headress? Rarity a princess sans wings, although I don’t see much incongruity there. Perhaps these are transformational figures related to the potions. I avoid spoilers, so I’ve no real idea, but I’m guessing age regression or something and they live out childhood fantasies. Maybe?

PS: Love the hooves. Makes them look less like Play Dough and more equine. Keep the hooves, lose the head.

PPS: Hair still looks 💩y

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
Erm....not my favorite.  I stopped picking up new ponies when they switched to the G4.5 though.  Hope they find an audience somewhere, but it’s definitely not here. :/

I feel like they’re trying to keep ponies going for as long as possible, and trying different molds to see what appeals to different audiences.  I think this one’s a swing and a miss.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:04:30 AM by cloud_weaver »

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2019, 10:31:20 AM »
What the hell is that?  :shocked: :blink:

Hasbro, I hate you sometimes.  :nope:

Post Merge: November 02, 2019, 07:17:54 AM

Those are terrifying.  Just, when Hasbro?

You know, I was talking with my friend last night on how Hasbro is destroying the classic Milton Bradley games lately.  I said Hasbro is acting like they did in the 60's when they were riding high on G.I. Joe and no matter what they did was successful.  That was followed by the 70's when the company almost ceased to exist and needed to completely restructure going into the 80's.  I think Hasbro is going to run into a wall where their decisions have alienated their fans and just sour on the general public.

And those designs are...jibbly jibbly.

Jibbly jibbly?
However you spell Strong Bad's creeped out mummblings.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2019, 11:16:21 AM »
I noticed how they really do have forward-facing eyes now as well as a human jaw. Ew. So I whipped this up lazily half-asleep quickly referencing* my own ponies.

*I looked over my shoulder at the ponies on my shelf and thought "yeah, that's close enough".

Where are their chins?

I still stand by me liking the detailed eyes and the accessories, but the face gets worse the more you look at it. :XD:

At least they have more sculpting than G4.5s....

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »
Not sure how I feel. On one hand, they're terrifying. On the other... Still more detail than G4.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2019, 11:40:05 AM »
I...I don’t think I like them. There’s just something in the eyes (which are beautiful, but they’re a bit too low on the face for my taste) and facial expression that just isn’t right. I think it’s the front facing eyes and mouth.  And the heads are too large. I mean, cartoon characters do usually have large heads, but this is a bit weird. And I don’t like the long, spindly toothpick legs. I really hope this is just transitional, or a one off thing. Not what g5 actually looks like.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2019, 11:58:10 AM »
Nightmare fuel  :bolt:  this is scary I think I’ll give this a miss
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:59:43 AM by bright rabbit 1 »

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2019, 12:19:10 PM »
The art style looks very much like what is currently in if you watch cartoons.

Please provide a couple of different cartoons where horses look like this (and are not meant to be a parody of MLP).
I can think of Unikitty when I see Pinkie Pie, but I can't come up with anything else. Also, Unikitty is already a bit older by now.

Where are their chins?

Must be the Bob's Burgers :lol:

Offline AvianWing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2019, 12:22:05 PM »
What the...

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »
I am fine with the hooves... but the rest is no good... I especially dont like those overbite snouts...
Sure, I wasnt keen on the g4s originally either and I thought they looked more like mice than ponies, but the g4 was a lot cuter than this.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2019, 01:49:02 PM »
What region of the devils' playground did these ponies creep out from?
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
What region of the devils' playground did these ponies creep out from?

The Kindergarten one.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
Yikes, I like the feathered feet on them, but that’s about it. :huh: I know G4 didn’t look much like ponies either, but these feel so much worse. I hate how their eyes are placed front and center, and their snouts look so awkward. They must look like emojis on a horse body.

I definitely think this is G4’s last hurrah before G5. Unless they’re using all the exact same characters with no changes, this has to still be g4. I’ll probably buy just one of these since I like to have a pony from every gen, and this is radically different enough to be like, a half gen or something. If this style is where G5 is headed though, I may not have to worry about making space for new ponies. I can’t see myself collecting a toy line that looks like that.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but is anyone else sick of chibi stuff? Like...every toy out there seems to be going for the huge eyes, hardly any other features look and I just don’t think it’s cute. They look kinda creepy a lot of the time! I know that very much seems to be the style right now, and kids must like it, but some variety would be nice.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal