collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Operation Christmas Child  (Read 2703 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Operation Christmas Child
« on: November 17, 2016, 02:22:14 AM »
Anyone else do this during the holidays? Drop off week is this week and I'm finally getting to do this again. I used to love doing this with my mom when I was little. I chose to shop for a 5-9 year-old girl. It was so much fun! I spent less than $25 (on a really small budget this year) by putting in an EAH Harelow doll I already had and getting small things from Target (good stuff in the $1 area, Wamart, and the $1 Store.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I got a travel MLP toothbrush/paste set, Old Maid cards, a hand towel and wash cloth, shea buttermilk bar soap, hair ties and headbands, a Frozen bowl, a smaller Slinky, press-on nail art, a Trolls notebook, Christmas pencils, a pink hairbrush, strawberry Chapstick, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer bandaids, Legos, and a few other things. I actually have to return a couple things because they wouldn't fit in the shoebox. It's packed pretty full. I need to see if an MLP pack of tissues will fit and a small thing of floss. It was so much fun. I also taped one of our Christmas cards to the inside of tbe bixlid with our address in case the child can write back. I wrote a note on the back of it.

Let's see/hear what you do!

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Operation Christmas Child
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 02:40:16 AM »
Oh this sounds cool! I've never heard of it before.

I'm going through stuff to see if I have any spare toys I can donate to Toys 4 Tots or a local women & children homeless shelter. So far I have a little pile of stuff. Hopefully I can find more toys!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 06:11:46 AM »
Nah, we donate locally to a drive that's not religiously affiliated. 
I don't like how most churches operate.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 07:10:41 AM »
Nah, we donate locally to a drive that's not religiously affiliated. 
I don't like how most churches operate.

I guess I don't do it because it's religiously affiliated. I just enjoy putting the shoeboxes together, kind if like a swap box and it was something my mom and I did at holiday time when I was little.

"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 09:01:10 AM »
There are plenty of things going around within the city to make sure everyone is covered--its nice :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:03:08 AM »
We usually do an adopt-a-child type gift program.  I really enjoy it.  Of course, I tend to have more fun buying gifts for girls (ponies usually end up in the bags). My dad's company has a Christmas party every year and I am in charge of buying the gifts and prizes for bingo.  Both of these projects make me feel so happy.  I really enjoy making people's Christmases better.  What other programs do you guys donate through?  I have a lot of clothes that are too small and I never know what the best place is to take them.  I live near a Savers, a Goodwill, Salvation Army and Value Village. 
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »
We do Toys for Tots. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 01:26:23 PM »
Looks like you've got a great box put together :)

We usually do one of the angel trees, or something for adopt a platoon (for troops overseas), or both if we have the funds.

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »
We just dropped off our shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child tonight.  They told us that next year candy and toothpaste will not be allowed.  We usually put toothpaste in, but we didn't this year.  We did put candy in.  Should have taken pics. We do one for a boy and one for a girl- ages 10-14.
Our boxes had
-Lisa frank & monkey notebooks, sketch pads
-pens, pencils, markers
-ghostbuster erasers
-ball
-koosh ball
-plastic light up angel ornament
-superman light
-book bag
-journal
-soccer ball and pump
-rainbow plush dog
-socks
-stickers
-some sort of pet blind bag
-sour patch kids and sour gummy worms
-hello kitty plush keychain
-pencil sharpeners
-Star Wars blind bag
-MLP eraser
-barrettes

Prolly stuff I'm forgetting

I did take this pic, so I could see what all I needed to buy still for the girl's box.  I had extra stuff that I'm saving for next year.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:20:14 PM by Sukey »

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »
What other programs do you guys donate through?  I have a lot of clothes that are too small and I never know what the best place is to take them.  I live near a Savers, a Goodwill, Salvation Army and Value Village. 

You could find a local homeless shelter. I always donate to shelters now because I'd rather my old stuff be used instead of sold for someone else's profit. The one I usually go to (women & children shelter) will accept pretty much anything.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »
Oh, I do this every year! It's an awesome way to show love to a needy kid. I follow Samaritan's Purse on Facebook and they post stories from kids who received shoeboxes who are now grown and who describe how just receiving that gift made them realize God loves them and that there are other people in the world who care about them, changing their lives forever.

I packed three shoeboxes this year (and helped my crazy mom pack about 50 so far, no joke! She loves this program.). I of course made a pony-themed box with two of the little plastic-bag-packed single brushables and other things. I'll have to take a picture before I finish them up Saturday!

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 09:52:39 PM »
What other programs do you guys donate through?  I have a lot of clothes that are too small and I never know what the best place is to take them.  I live near a Savers, a Goodwill, Salvation Army and Value Village. 

You could find a local homeless shelter. I always donate to shelters now because I'd rather my old stuff be used instead of sold for someone else's profit. The one I usually go to (women & children shelter) will accept pretty much anything.

This is a good idea, I usually just take stuff to Goodwill but a shelter would be better.
We just dropped off our shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child tonight.  They told us that next year candy and toothpaste will not be allowed.  We usually put toothpaste in, but we didn't this year.  We did put candy in.  Should have taken pics. We do one for a boy and one for a girl- ages 10-14.
Our boxes had
-Lisa frank & monkey notebooks, sketch pads
-pens, pencils, markers
-ghostbuster erasers
-ball
-koosh ball
-plastic light up angel ornament
-superman light
-book bag
-journal
-soccer ball and pump
-rainbow plush dog
-socks
-stickers
-some sort of pet blind bag
-sour patch kids and sour gummy worms
-hello kitty plush keychain
-pencil sharpeners
-Star Wars blind bag
-MLP eraser
-barrettes

Prolly stuff I'm forgetting

I did take this pic, so I could see what all I needed to buy still for the girl's box.  I had extra stuff that I'm saving for next year.

[img width=600 height=417]http://i62

I always do a girl, I just love shopping for girl stuff. I didn't think food was allowed at all so I didn't add any. I was iffy with leaving the toothpaste but good to know it's ok this year. I feel silly sending a toothbrush without toothpaste.

If I have the funds I buy dog and cat food for the Humane Society too.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 07:42:20 AM »
I do it every year. I did seven boxes.  I like to include an outfit in each box for the child, I make them things as well.  I wish I could meet each child that has gotten my boxes over the years.  This year I lucked out my friend retired from teaching and I got all her school supplies.  So my boxes were packed full.  When I dropped them off they had to use a cart lol. I like plastic containers better than the small shoe box. I can't get coloring books and paper in those boxes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:45:41 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »
My sister and I used to do this every year with my mom, I cant remember why we stopped? but I just found a place that does it again! I won't be able to this year because money is tight, but I'll be looking into it for next year, I can start hoarding items now. :)
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
My sister and I used to do this every year with my mom, I cant remember why we stopped? but I just found a place that does it again! I won't be able to this year because money is tight, but I'll be looking into it for next year, I can start hoarding items now. :)

Yeah, that's what we do, we buy things throughout the year.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal