collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 651
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: IMPORTANT EBAY CHANGES - no more "Pre-1990" MLP category  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Ebay search question - no more "Pre-1990" MLP category?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2018, 02:34:10 AM »
Banditpony, unfortunately I think that page with the categories was created by a user who was a MLP fan, rather than being an "official" eBay breakdown or plan. Like a bare bones faux-Wikipedia entry for the brand.

How does a fan have the ability to create paths?

Anyway, I don't meant to trivialize ... How does this affect people using eBay so bad?
Like it's no change to me and I just want to understand why many people are so upset

From my point of view, and this is just me, I have navigational issues...and that includes websites. So I have trouble finding things even on this site. WHen something changes that I already know how to use or find, it's really disorientating and it makes it much more difficult...especially with listing and such. So for me it's an unnecessary hassle of remapping the whole site so I can use it at all effectively.

I also use US ebay, UK Ebay, as well as French and German Ebays. The latter 2 have a different category each for MLP already. Messing around the categories makes it harder to switch a single auction from $ to £. Previously because the UK and US categories overlapped, it was possible to load a US auction, change the .com to .co.uk and get the price in £...but I am unsure if that is still possible. 

It's also just annoying.

If you're right about them reorganising the categories, some warning would be nice. And I twitch at Dash being connected to G1 as well, but if there are going to be actual generational categories, then maybe it will work out. I suspect not though. I want a category that means I don't have to scroll through G4 stuff to find G1.

Right now I am quite glad I have zero money for ponies, as this would really put me off buying anything.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2018, 02:45:37 AM »
So, last time categories was brought up...

I noticed pretty much 99% of My Little Pony items in the My Little Pony category HAD My Little pony in the subject.

So if you searched "My Little Pony" the same items came up. (And you could sort between the two categories which i NEVER did because of the idiots who put things in strange categories). I might not find MLP paper plates if they put it in a home goods section, ya know?

So I can understand how this affects you Taffeta if you have navigation problems... re-mapping is a big deal but for others, I'm not understanding.

It all stems down to I never used the categories... so I'm just trying to understand.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2018, 03:17:40 AM »
I never used them either. I just use keywords  :shrug:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2018, 04:46:53 AM »
Well my bank-balance will be healthier as I'll stop browsing and picking up a pony who is not on my wishlist/keyword search but that piques my fancy.  Shame, as those serendipitous finds have been a lot of fun.

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: IMPORTANT EBAY CHANGES - no more "Pre-1990" MLP category
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2018, 07:32:23 AM »
I used to use the categories to cut out all of the G4  stuff I don't care about and I don't want. Sometimes sellers listed a g1 lot lets say as 'My little pony lot' Because they don't know about different generations, But they would know how old they were if you get me? I cant wait to spend hours sifting through G4 Blind bags now  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2018, 07:33:33 AM »
*makes pre-coffee noises*  why must Ebay make things MORE difficult?
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2018, 07:39:01 AM »
It all stems down to I never used the categories... so I'm just trying to understand.
I'll throw in my problem with it:
When there was the category for pre-1990, it was much easier for me to only look at G1 ponies. Sure, you'd have a few mislabeled lots in there, but buy and large it was the easiest way to filter out G4 merch.
Of course, you can always throw G1 or Retro or Vintage in as a keyword, but not everyone would label their lots as such. Non-collectors are unfamiliar with the term G1, and some people forget to use Vintage altogether. By sorting by pre-1990, it catches all of the lots that people just named as "MLP Blue Lot Bait".
Now, it feels like I'll miss out on some lots by putting G1 as a keyword, or Vintage.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2018, 07:50:04 AM »
I don't like the change they did on My Little Pony. Hence why I only look for Barbie dolls now. Need a whole army of articulated male dolls for my male Attack on Titan Barbie dolls.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2018, 08:02:37 AM »
I'll throw in my problem with it:
When there was the category for pre-1990, it was much easier for me to only look at G1 ponies. Sure, you'd have a few mislabeled lots in there, but buy and large it was the easiest way to filter out G4 merch.
Of course, you can always throw G1 or Retro or Vintage in as a keyword, but not everyone would label their lots as such. Non-collectors are unfamiliar with the term G1, and some people forget to use Vintage altogether. By sorting by pre-1990, it catches all of the lots that people just named as "MLP Blue Lot Bait".
Now, it feels like I'll miss out on some lots by putting G1 as a keyword, or Vintage.

You can filter out things with keywords too

my little pony -g3 -g4 -blind -friendship -funko

and you can filter a time period (1980)

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2018, 08:21:07 AM »
I personally used the category breakdowns all the time in my search notifications.  I left out "my little pony" on purpose because you get sellers that only know them as "ponies". Or "pretty pony".  Or people abbreviate with MLP. Or misspell one of the words (littel being one of them.....this is how I found a Licensing Show Pinkie Pie!).  Or don't use "my" and just use "little pony".  I've seen quite a few auctions that don't include the full My Little Pony phrase, and have found some real treasures with little bidding competition because of it.   

I have used the (-) to filter out the whole Friendship is Magic thing, but man does it get cluttered fast.  You've also got Equestria Girls, Guardians of Harmony, GoH to add to the list, and there are still so many sellers that don't use those key words.  I'm still getting all kinds of party supplies, kids beauty toys, general accessories.... It's just not as precise or clean as the old way, in my opinion.   

Maybe once all the old listings clear out and *IF* ebay requires the seller to specify the decade, things might improve over time.    But for now, current auctions and relisted auctions aren't even being put into a My Little Pony category unless the seller changes it manually. Many of them don't know about the change. So unless you want to miss out on a lot of auctions, you kind of have to include the "not specified" category for both the DECADE and the CHARACTER FAMILY. At least for now.

This may not affect everyone, but it sure throws a big wrench into how I search for ponies.  Big time. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:30:51 AM by ashlyne »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2018, 08:29:41 AM »

I have used the (-) to filter out the whole Friendship is Magic thing, but man does it get cluttered fast.  You've also got Equestria Girls, Guardians of Harmony, GoH to add to the list, and there are still so many sellers that don't use those key words. 
Yeah but if you set that up as a saved search then it's pretty easy...

And a lot of typo things get corrected
"vintage toy horse 1984 figurine"
Will bring up the MLP listing that has "littel"

I used to put in typos to get deals in the early days

I mean don't get me wrong, it's a inconvenience but I have doubts it's long term.. and there's other filters then the category

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »

I have used the (-) to filter out the whole Friendship is Magic thing, but man does it get cluttered fast.  You've also got Equestria Girls, Guardians of Harmony, GoH to add to the list, and there are still so many sellers that don't use those key words. 
Yeah but if you set that up as a saved search then it's pretty easy...

And a lot of typo things get corrected
"vintage toy horse 1984 figurine"
Will bring up the MLP listing that has "littel"

I used to put in typos to get deals in the early days

I mean don't get me wrong, it's a inconvenience but I have doubts it's long term.. and there's other filters then the category

Oh I definitely have saved searches and it's part of the headache.   I have one for Rapunzel.   My search notification this morning says there are 700+ new auctions  that popped up overnight for Rapunzel  :shocked:   :lmao:     Ya, no.   It's flooded with Disney stuff.  So I have to change it, resave it, delete the old one.   

Another specific search I set up for MIB items now includes 21 MILLION auctions. 

Once I get them all changed, it'll be better, but it's going to take a long time. I have ...a lot … of these searches set up.  And most of them will need the tag added -g2 -g3 -fim -brony -friendship -guardians -equestria -oh-what-ever-else-that's-been-suggested.   

I do hope they make improvements. The biggest reason I want to get the word out is to notify ebay sellers.   If they can adjust their auctions, get used to specifying character family and decade, that will go a long way in helping their buyers.    Right now,  there are too many auctions that aren't specific enough.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:38:25 AM by ashlyne »

Offline therestornadosinmysoup

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2018, 08:40:22 AM »
No wonder I couldn't find anything I looked for today LOL Just oceans & oceans of G4 blind bags etc. I hope the change isn't permanent.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »
Once I get them all changed, it'll be better, but it's going to take a long time. I have ...a lot … of these searches set up.  And most of them will need the tag added -g2 -g3 -fim -brony -friendship -guardians -equestria -oh-what-ever-else-that's-been-suggested.   

I do hope they make improvements. The biggest reason I want to get the word out is to notify ebay sellers.   If they can adjust their auctions, get used to specifying character family and decade, that will go a long way in helping their buyers.    Right now,  there are too many auctions that aren't specific enough.

=__=
Yeah I feel like it'll take me awhile to fix my searches too.

Oh yah. Totally good for sellers to know.. and buyers.

My point is to everyone is that I think that the system is changing.. it looks to be a work in progress and reorganizing the folder structures. Put down the pitch forks because there is a change  >_<

I doubt they got rid of the MLP category/ies for good

and, personally, I think it really SHOULD change because it was very dated...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:53:34 AM by banditpony »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2018, 09:16:57 AM »
You can filter out things with keywords too

my little pony -g3 -g4 -blind -friendship -funko

and you can filter a time period (1980)
Good point, I may have to just hope they put the appropriate time period.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal