collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What would convince you to...?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
What would convince you to...?
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
Sell rare items in your collections, not because you need the money but just because someone else desperately wants to buy it?

All of my most favourite ponies I cannot imagine ever parting with (I'd only sell to help loved ones), I'm still amazed I found anyone selling them in the first place. But my last grail I can't find anyone willing to part with, which is understandable but frustrating. But I'm curious, why do some people sell? Have you ever sold a Mimic or a Rapunzel for no other reason than you think someone would love them more?

:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What would convince you to...?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »
I've sold antes rarer ponies.  Not punzie scale, but diamond dreams and a mimic in the past.  My reason was because they were all stored away.  I wasn't enjoying them.  I loved my diamond dreams a lot as I collected carousels as a child, but the person who bought it for me was so excited to get her, and I know they got way more joy out of her then I was at that time.

Offline mlpkatie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »
I don't think I could part with a pony! I have 5 Sundance's, I only really need one but I just can't do it!

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
A rare pony? I..... I don't know.... maybe if it was someone who was.... like, in a bad way, y'know? Someone who really, REALLY needed something special to help them through a dark time. I just.... I gave up collecting all my other collections for ponies... they make me happy, and that's something I struggle with. I personalize all my ponies, they're... well, like little friends to me, and I'm a lonely person. I just don't know how I could give up one of my personal ponies...
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »
I dunno... I don't really have any rare ponies in my collection. If I did, I wouldn't part with them (not even if it made a baby duck smile...).

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »
No, I haven't just sold something just so someone else could have it...I don't think I ever would. I mean that kinda makes me sound like a jerk, but it's very true. I sold a lot of my Nirvanas last year because I needed the money, and I sold things to friends for cheaper prices sometimes or let them do time payments when I won't let other people. Typically if I'm going to be nice to someone though I buy them a gift that is specifically for them. I guess if I ever got tired of something I would sell it, and sometimes I do get tired of things or I don't adore them as much as I did originally. I've never just sold something to someone though so they could have it. I guess I shouldn't feel bad no one has done that for me either. :P

Hmm I will say sometimes I will trade something for something else if I just don't want to spend money on that item at the current time. I've debated offering some of my Nirvanas for other Nirvanas before, but I guess in that case I expect something as equally harder to find in exchange. ;)

I would just say unless it's a OOAK you'll get one eventually! People get tired of things or need the money stuff like that and sell things. If it's something I just really really want I put money aside for it and wait for one to show up.  I'm sure several members would tell you how long it took them to get an item they desperately have wanted. Good luck!
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 01:13:24 PM »
I did that with a G3 Christmas ornament ^.^ Someone needed her to complete their collection and she was really just sitting around in a bag from when I bought it (she sadly broke a little but was an easy fix). Got a priceless artwork of my two favorite MLP characters for the ornament, It was an awesome feeling and great trade and I see the artwork on my wall every day! = D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »
I have sold some very rare ponies, because I needed the pony room for my daughter. There was only ONE I regretted selling and she is now on her way back to me. ;)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »
Hmmmm I over- value the friendships I make so if a friend really really really needed the pick-me up, I might consider giving it to them as a gift... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:08:53 PM »
I think thats a hard thing to say; you never really known what you will do in certain circumstances. At the moment I would say I think it would take a lot to get me to sell a hard to find pony for any reason other than that I simply neede the money. However, that being said I have traded hard to find ponies out of my personal collection in order to gets something in turn which I wished more or found more elusive to track down. Yes I am the woman who will send you rare ponies in turn for rare accessories :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 07:15:13 PM »
I understand everyone's perspective on this and agree with a lot of points, I just wish I could find someone willing to trade or sell me my final Grail haha. I would love to shower them in gifts in return and treasure her forever, I can't even put into words how much it would mean to me and I can't imagine what it'd be like to give her up. 
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »
Why hold onto something I'm not bothered about if selling it would make someone else really happy? I don't have the space for things I'm not really fond of, so if I didn't have any attachment to a pony or figure beyond "it's rare" I'd likely sell it  ^.^

A few of my Japanese figures have become rather valuable since I bought them, but unless I was actually starving I wouldn't part with them (and even then I would hesitate) as I have a real attachment to them and they and their characters mean a lot to me.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
I understand everyone's perspective on this and agree with a lot of points, I just wish I could find someone willing to trade or sell me my final Grail haha. I would love to shower them in gifts in return and treasure her forever, I can't even put into words how much it would mean to me and I can't imagine what it'd be like to give her up. 

Exactly! If you cant imagine how hard it would be to trade away such a special pony to you - its often going to be the same for other people who have paid a lot or searched a long time in order to add that pony to their collection. 

How long have you been looking? I can understand the frustration and the desire to own it but So Soft Posey is not a super rare pony and she does come up MOC on occasion. You will find her with time. You have a signature advert and I am sure you are trawling ebay. You or someone will spot her eventually.

I had been searching for 7 years for one particular pony barrette before a certain member here was amazing enough to trade for it. It will happen...it can take time yes but you will get her one day.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline zora

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 08:22:38 PM »
YES, i did that a lot! greek lambaditsa for example :D
Former Nirvana and BigBro Collector

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
Sell rare items in your collections, not because you need the money but just because someone else desperately wants to buy it?

All of my most favourite ponies I cannot imagine ever parting with (I'd only sell to help loved ones), I'm still amazed I found anyone selling them in the first place. But my last grail I can't find anyone willing to part with, which is understandable but frustrating. But I'm curious, why do some people sell? Have you ever sold a Mimic or a Rapunzel for no other reason than you think someone would love them more?

Yep, exactly why I was trying to re-home Mimic :) he is gorgeous. I like her pose, her colors, the twinkle in her eye and that color combo of her hair. I just believed there would be someone who will love her a lot more than me.

I also sold my three German Princesses for very cheap, to other polish collectors, hoping they would end up in well loved home - I wanted to offer them to collectors that might not have paypal or aren't good at speaking foreign languages so getting those ponies would be once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them :) I only kept My German Princess Serena, because I love her and feel strongly attached to her. Not getting rid of this lady, oh no!

I think that is one of the beauties of collecting - sometimes even the rare, or highly wanted ponies don't have the same charm as more common or cheaper ones - and sometimes it's the opposite: it all depends on one's personal opinion on the pony.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal