collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is your "better half" a collector too?  (Read 2286 times)

Sokkis

• Trade Count: (0)
Is your "better half" a collector too?
« on: January 23, 2013, 05:22:16 AM »
So, is you boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband a collector too? If is, what does he/she collect? :)

My bf is a collector too, he collects cars (real ones...) and Transformers figures. It's actually quite nice to be with someone who understands what you're talking about. My ex-husband didn't really understand my collecting - he wasn't mean or anything like that, but he just didn't get it.

[moving to Off Topic ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:14:47 PM by hathorcat »

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Is your "better half" a collector too?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:26:57 AM »
Nope she is not a collector and really doesn't understand it. Se did come from a poorer household though and the idea of spending extra money on such things bothers her.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

baby_yoyo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:27:12 AM »
My fiance collects Jurrasic Park dinosaurs to try and complete his childhood collection, which you can imagine makes for a very interesting display shelf :biggrin:

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:30:50 AM »
My husband isn't a collector but I don't think that has ever been a problem for us :) He completely understands and appreciates my collecting but then again, I don't really spend too much money on it.
I think he is happy that I have something like this to cheer me up from time to time ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:42:02 AM »
Nope but I started a collocation for him anyway.  He loves Halo so he definitely need some toys (My Dad helped with that too)!!  He won't buy any on his own but he has no problem spending money on top of the line computer stuff...  The argument he tries is its practical to buy computer stuff.  He's also does not "understand my collecting" for the most part.  I still love him and I'm not afraid to bring home more stuff.

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:58:24 AM »
My husband is a bigger collector than I am.   While I took a 10 year "break" between childhood collecting and collecting now, he never stopped collecting comic books and action figures.  I introduced him to how ebay works, and we both went nuts :D 

He collects comics, everything Spawn, The Simpsons, Star Wars, some sports and army figures, lots of other comic superhero and movie figures, some original comic art, and now he's gotten into the fancy-shmancy high-end statues.   

Here's the basement (aka Man Cave)
http://spawnboards.com/index.cgi?board=toys&action=display&thread=13039

We definitely understand each other and support each other's collections.   For those of you that have been to the last several MLP Fairs, he's the brute helping me out at my table.   He has as much fun there as he does when we got to comic conventions together  :)

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:23:01 AM »
I don't know if collector is the word, but my husband plays warhammer, flames of war and such games, and he has several armies... He does understand collecting, and whenever we've had financial problems and I wanted to sell some nirvanas to get money, he wouldn't let me because he knows how important the are for me.

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:31:11 AM »
My husband is a bigger collector than I am.   While I took a 10 year "break" between childhood collecting and collecting now, he never stopped collecting comic books and action figures.  I introduced him to how ebay works, and we both went nuts :D 

He collects comics, everything Spawn, The Simpsons, Star Wars, some sports and army figures, lots of other comic superhero and movie figures, some original comic art, and now he's gotten into the fancy-shmancy high-end statues.   

Here's the basement (aka Man Cave)
http://spawnboards.com/index.cgi?board=toys&action=display&thread=13039

We definitely understand each other and support each other's collections.   For those of you that have been to the last several MLP Fairs, he's the brute helping me out at my table.   He has as much fun there as he does when we got to comic conventions together  :)

Holy crap his toy room is AMAZING!

My boyfriend collects DC Universe, and he's just getting into the new Masters of the Universe line. Mattel cut out a lot of the DCU toys so he doesn't have much to look for right now so he's been toy hunting with me! I love that he's into it, toy collections are so fun!

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:50 AM »
My husband has a comic book and star wars toy collection, but they are all from his childhood. He does not actively collect them now, or has for like the last 20 years. He completely supports my collecting though. :)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 08:02:24 AM »
We fight for space in the back room. Hubby has hundreds of matchbox/hot wheels cars, and thousands of sports cards... and he thinks my pony collection is a bit much at times...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Vampasaurus

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 08:20:58 AM »
My fiance collects Jurrasic Park dinosaurs to try and complete his childhood collection, which you can imagine makes for a very interesting display shelf :biggrin:

Lol I hear that! I collect Jurassic park toys too and I keep my childhood ones with my ponies. I like to stack my G4s on the Big bull T-Rex.

My girlfriend collects Blindbag ponies with me. And she collects video games and nendriods. We tend to collect each other's things a lot. What she likes I start to like and vice-versa.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://vampasaurus.tumblr.com/

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 08:28:46 AM »
my boyfriend doesn´t really collect a specific line or something, but in the christmas swap, he got his first pony and he is proud that one of the "ponyladies" picked it out for him ;) but in general, he collects scraps of things we did together, or sometimes we draw little notes for each other. XD he has a folder full of little scribbles, mostly silly ones. XD (like princess cheese, which i drew extra exagerrated because i was explaining mary sue to him XD )

about me, collecting ponies, fabrics, ribbons and so on, he is completely cool with it and always helps me to hunt. ^^
i guess he would collect for himself too if his time would allow it. ^^"
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:30:21 AM by emuel »
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »
Not really. My husband doesn't collect to collect, but he has amassed a ton of Magic The Gathering cards and a couple Warhammer armies. These things are for play, not display, so our versions of collecting are different and he doesn't really get my love of collecting for display. He does, however, adore my anime figure collection. So there is that.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 08:55:33 AM »
Mine collects and plays Magic the Gathering, although he doesn't play as much as he would like. Sometimes I help him organize his cards. He also still has all of his Ninja Turtles from when he was a kid, but I wouldn't call that collecting I guess.

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »
My husband has a few different collections. Though his passion is collecting anime and video games. He has alot and a huge list of what he has. I think he "gets" that I collect ponies. Though I do bug him about pony talk too much and that is why I come here. My husband also has a ton of magic the gathering cards but I think he doesnt play that much anymore.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:02:19 AM by SkyCakes »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal