collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Going to buy a filly, need to figure out what all I need.  (Read 1115 times)

hikari_amaya

• Trade Count: (0)
Going to buy a filly, need to figure out what all I need.
« on: June 11, 2012, 01:26:13 AM »
Ok ponies, I used to have a Welsh pony when I was younger and I remember we used to feed her alfaha cubes and hay. But I know times have changed since I was 6, now I'm 23. My cousin breeds horses. I don't want a huge horse either. She crosses a beautiful very dark bay, Thoughbred. So Back on the 23rd one of her horses a Quarter Pony had a filly. I didn't think that they were going to sell this filly either, because the mare belongs to my cousin but her kid sister claims the mare belongs to her. But I've checked with my cousin already and the filly is for sure for sale.

I was going to buy a year old bay Quarter Horse/TB cross colt named Sonny, who would be only $650 for me. But this filly is about 2 weeks and I don't mind waiting for her to grow up.

Now my issue is I don't live in the same place I had my pony at when I was little. My cousin uses this yellow livewire with a solar panel and I already have water troughs since I had sheep. Which can work as the filly grows.

I live in california if anyone can help :)

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Going to buy a filly, need to figure out what all I need.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:49:38 AM »
I presume you've still been riding since then? I'd suggest going along to a barn or trainer for tips, since you'll need support like that when the time comes to saddle train the filly. Or why not quiz your cousin on horse ownership? Since you're taking on one of her's, surely she'd want you to know as much as possible?
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »
 Biggest thing is have you ever trained a young horse before? People get them all the time and they end up with bad manners and tossed home to home until they end up at an auction and possibly a slaughter plant. It is not an easy thing to do. You need to work with a trainer. If yous send it off for 60 or 90 days as a three year old your looking at a couple thousand $.

You may get it at six months but it will still try you with leading and nipping etc.

Hay is VERY expensive out there.  You will pay two to three times as much as me in ohio and thats likely why you were buying hay cubes. I'd look now for a supplier.

I do not do high tension wire. I think that may be what you are describing? I do two inch tape because if they get a bug up there butt and go through it the horse does not break the fence does. I have seen to many deglovings from high tensil. electric or not its dangerous stuff. Had a friends say shed never had a problem with it in ten years and next week her horse panicked over a dog in her pasture and tried to jump it and sliced her leg so badly she had to be put down right there. Safe fencing is very important.  And if you use t posts cap them.

I feed a ration balancer. It basically has all the minerals the horse needs without all the sugars. for a growing horse I think its a pound and a half to two pounds per day you feed.

I am guessing your area is sandy? I know people use the water roughs to feed hay to so they avoid the horse digesting so much sand.

Don't lunge them till they are older,bad on the joints.

For a young horse its just good to let them be a horse. But make sure you are prepared for a young horse. When someone has been out of horses a long time I really think its best to get a older safer jump on and go horse. build up your confidence.

Good luck and pics are always appreciated!
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »
I have no clue but I'd love to see pics of her when you have them!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:16:58 AM »
Breaking a young horse is a big responsibility.  Like joce said, I recommend you get some experienced help.  Where I live we keep our horses outdoors and I feel mine meadow hay and a blend of chalf, coolfeed and copra. I'm not sure what kinds of feed are available in your country though.  Good luck. Your filly sounds like a sweetie :)

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:57:15 AM »
I know nothing of horse rearing, but just get all the info you can!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

horsenalityplus

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 05:19:30 AM »
Hi, I have a beautiful appy mare whome I got when she was 4. She wasn't broken and was hardly touched. I was also relatively new to horses. Green on green is a very bad idea however I had drive and passion and now 10 years on she's very much a one person horse who I take great pride in knowing that all she is and does is all my hard work and commitment. Not saying it was easy but very rewarding. If your'e truly mad about horses and are very commited go for it. Just do your homework first. I do natural horsemanship and have from day dot with her and it shows. Keep us up to date and good luck!!
Pic of my pony for you to see :)

http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q487/Horsenalityplus/

hikari_amaya

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:09:02 PM »
My cousin said she would help train and teach her manners, since I havent ridden in about a year (stables I rode at went under.) But even then She wont be able to be broken for a long time. Which I'm completely fine with. I'm starting from the ground up. She was born around 3 weeks ago, May 21st. Both her parents are very calm temperments. I wouldnt get her until she's weaned. So I have plenty of time to figure out what I need and how I'm going to situtate where she'll be.  On her site, "Will be halter, lead, trailer, bathe, clip, tie, farrier, and spook proof at weaning." She's had farriers look at the hooves of one of her 6 month olds recently and it helped a lot that she trained the colt to hold still.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:10:47 PM by hikari_amaya »

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »
I agree with everything Joce said, and don't have much to add to it.  Degloving is very, very nasty.  I highly recommend not doing tension wire or barbed wire.  Most of the time nothing happens, but horses are the most accident prone critters on the planet and you never know.  Better safe than sorry!

She won't need training for quite a while if she's only three weeks, but if you haven't done much riding, especially recently, I recommend getting a professional trainer.  Green+Green=Black and Blue!  In the mean time, you can practice leading her around, playing with her feet, clipping, grooming, etc.  Even if she has had some of this type of training, the more you do, the better she'll be.  It also would be a good idea not to lunge her until she's a little older.

She's a cutie!  Good luck with her.

hikari_amaya

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 06:52:32 AM »
I agree with everything Joce said, and don't have much to add to it.  Degloving is very, very nasty.  I highly recommend not doing tension wire or barbed wire.  Most of the time nothing happens, but horses are the most accident prone critters on the planet and you never know.  Better safe than sorry!

She won't need training for quite a while if she's only three weeks, but if you haven't done much riding, especially recently, I recommend getting a professional trainer.  Green+Green=Black and Blue!  In the mean time, you can practice leading her around, playing with her feet, clipping, grooming, etc.  Even if she has had some of this type of training, the more you do, the better she'll be.  It also would be a good idea not to lunge her until she's a little older.

She's a cutie!  Good luck with her.
Thank you :) The electric wire my cousin uses is yellow and the electic wires are woven in the yellow rope and if they go through it gives them a shock, hard enough to remind them to stay, but not enough to cause injuries. I made that lovely discovery of the shock when Sonny (her older half brother) spooked at the dog and some how popped the wire of the tee post. I grabbed it thinking it was dead... Sureeeee -_- but like I said its base is rope it just falls away. Plus it would be moveable if I use that brand. It's eco-friendly since with charged by solar panel. :) But my cousin is currently in Nevada tending to her 60 head of cattle, since they have a neighbor from heck.
Mom already said NO BARB WIRE! Which I agree with, one of the reasons my Welsh pony got sick was a infection from barb wire my grandmother (claimed was a horse expert.. -_- not) insisted be put between the wooden openings in the wooden fencing. She lost a eye which led to an infection. So NO worries on that.
Yep shes just a baby baby :) So its going to be awhile before any riding will happen. My cousin and her boyfriend are very experianced. Joe actually did shows for awhile and they plan on it again with a filly that was born on the 30th. They both still ride and theyre currently breaking in a 2 year old who welll that was a fun rodeo. Joe stayed on her though :)

Been thinking of names and have kinda narrowed it down to Amaya (japanese for Night Rain), Firefly and Cupcake. You ponies can already guess where I got the ideas for the last two xP

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
Electrobraid will cause the degloving. It does not cut the way barb wire does but will have the skin come off in a sleeve if they get tangled. just google electrobraid and degloving and you can read about it. It might be good to start reading on a horse forum for some more info to- there are multiple ones out there. Pm me if you want the link to one.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal