collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why exactly are pony tails fizzy?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
Re: Why exactly are pony tails fizzy?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 04:30:34 PM »
My very, very few G4s all seem to have that problem as well, and I've found that a dip in some olive oil followed by a very gentle shampoo does the trick. I discovered it by accident when I was using oil to de-glue a Shadowbolt Rainbow Dash's mane, and tried it on my Wysteria and Sunset Shimmer with fantastic results!  :lol:
What kinda olive oil?  :huh: the one used for cooking? Or hair care product? :o
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

LuckyTwirlerina

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 04:50:21 PM »
My very, very few G4s all seem to have that problem as well, and I've found that a dip in some olive oil followed by a very gentle shampoo does the trick. I discovered it by accident when I was using oil to de-glue a Shadowbolt Rainbow Dash's mane, and tried it on my Wysteria and Sunset Shimmer with fantastic results!  :lol:

Just plain olive oil, so I guess the kind for cooking, yeah. Do they make certain olive oil specifically for hair care? I didn't know that!   :blink:

G4Sweeties

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
God I am just so angry about this and hasbro >:( The g4s are adorable but yet they have absolute crap quality control. Just horrible..

Offline Greylady

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • frazzle-haired fakie
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
I think frizz is the bending of the plastic in the hair.  At least, this is what I noticed for G1s and G3s (don't have a lot of G4s de-boxed). 

I'd say it's a mix of this, and Hasbro buying cheaper hair. The hair is probably cheaper due to not having as much oil used in its production. There is a small amount of oil usually applied to nylon hair that helps protect it from damage and keep it soft especially while it's going through machinery while it's being manufactured. And with less of that oil even the hair being cut to length when the pony is being made will cause it to be damaged around the area the blade went through, bending the fibres out of shape and stretching it.

Because of this, I can see why olive oil would help tame it as it just adds what was originally missing from the hair. It would also make it shinier and softer.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 03:11:10 PM »

Just plain olive oil, so I guess the kind for cooking, yeah. Do they make certain olive oil specifically for hair care? I didn't know that!   :blink:

I use baby oil :) Always have on pony hair - it really helps add a sheen and leave the nylon lovely and flexible :)

Its only the newer G4's. I have a few early G4's that have great tails, and all of my older gen ponies have nice tails.

Its just Hasbro cutting yet more costs on the current line of ponies, they use a lower quality hair fiber for the tails. I'm pretty sure they use the same nylon as Bratz and Bratzillaz use (bad).

This, the awful quality control, and lack of new characters is making me think that the end of G4 is oncoming. Its what G3 looked like before it died.

Yes I believe this is the reason as well. We have seen from the start of G4, that Hasbro think ponies are about brushable manes rather than brushable tails - the sheer quantity of hair in the mane to tail ratio shows you that. Throughout the last year, there is certainly a difference in the quality of hair between mane and tail. Mane and tail will be plugged at different parts of a production line so its easy enough to ensure different types of hair. If Hasbro think the tail is less relevant than the mane and can save some money and keep pony prices low, I would think thats the reason we are seeing lesser quality hair in the tail over the mane.

And I agree on flat iron and conditioner soak - that should fix the problem as much as possible.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »
Oil, eh? I've never tried that on my ponies. I'll have to give it a shot!

Ugh, every time I read about the recently released ponies, the more discouraged I am from continuing to collect G4. I have Sunset Shimmer and EG Rarity but I haven't taken either of them out of their packages because I have been in the process of moving for a while so I haven't had to experience tail frizz or bald patches firsthand yet. I really want to get the new set of baby ponies and Fantastic Flutters Cadance but I've been putting them off because of this.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 04:16:42 PM »
I've noticed that a lot of my ponies with frizzier tails tend to have extremely long tails too, so a light trim can be helpful.  After debating for a long time, I finally decided to give my Rainbow Power Rarity the scissors treatment, and that combined with the olive oil has made it perfectly brushable.

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 10:58:39 PM »

I 2nd using olive oil! I found out by accident as well when I was removing a hunk of glue from a pony's mane. Her mane is amazingly smooth and shiny now and it removed all the glue.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 11:06:47 PM »
Focusing on brushable manes over brushable tails makes me wonder why the McDonald's ponies (and the Twilight+Celestia EQG ponies) have brushable tails but moldable manes. I mean, I've always wondered that, but now I wonder extra hard.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »
Focusing on brushable manes over brushable tails makes me wonder why the McDonald's ponies (and the Twilight+Celestia EQG ponies) have brushable tails but moldable manes. I mean, I've always wondered that, but now I wonder extra hard.

I think its probably a price point thing. It is cheaper to manufacture a fully moulded pony than it is to have one which you have to then add hair to and if you just had a hair or tail choice then one plug with a tail is better than a fully weaved mane. Just a thought...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Okiedokieloki

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »
This, the awful quality control, and lack of new characters is making me think that the end of G4 is oncoming. Its what G3 looked like before it died.

This is what I've been thinking too. Which is really sad. Of course the toy line is going to do terribly if you just release the same 6 characters over and over with a handful of fan faves thrown in over the course of the year Hasbro. We want variety in the primary toy line, not enough merch to choke on and cheaply made dolls. And since the toy line is going down the drain, the show will be close behind. I can only imagine the backlash that will come from certain "communities" when that inevitably happens.

Offline ZapAppleMedia

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2014, 10:08:17 AM »
Wow, I hope that olive oil works!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:20:17 AM by ZapAppleMedia »

Offline Falconaitae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »
Some months ago I got a Pinkie Pie and Wysteria from the boutique series, and both of them had so bad tails, that if I had bought them on Ebay (which I didn't), and if I didn't unbox them myself, I would totally leave a negative comment for the seller, as it was my first contact with those bad tails. But yes it's hasbro fault. More or less every second pony now has this problem. And  what Hasbro managers are thinking, is probably "no worries, they will be buying the ponies anyway".

BTW thanks for the oil tip, this forum is so awesome^^
My pony blog
It's better to be a famous drunkard, than an anonymous alcoholic

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal