collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why is Mimic so special?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Mimic so special?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 02:57:56 PM »

The Mimic short pack is a myth - 24 MLP to a Twinkle Eye set - 4 of each and every one of the set - 4 Mimics, 4 Bright Eyes, 4 Speedy, 4 TTT and 4 Locket. Thanks to the pony collecting community being international yes Locket and TTT and Speedy show up a little more on the second hand market but thats only because they all got an international release and the other 3 didnt, so there are a few more of them out there.

Thank you for clearing that up - I heard that story years ago from a few different sources, so thought it was true.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Mlphammy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
I like her because of the parrot on her butt!  :P

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 06:05:44 PM »
I like her for the juxtaposition of all her colors. I like the bright tropical flower colors competing for attention with her lush bright green eyes and body. 

Normally I'm not a fan of green ponies, but this one I really like and I'd love to have her someday.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:22:56 PM by Marigold »

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
I thought she wasn't as common as she was single packed in the distribution boxes?

She wasn't available in the UK so she is rare in that aspect, apart from that she is green (win) has twinkle eyes (win win!) and is completely unique looking to any other pony :)
That is what I heard and I know from unboxing G3's sometimes a pony was short package in one wave, and then not packed at all in the next.  This also just happened with FS AJ in the G4 line.

My daughter coverts her, she loves birds and all things sparkly so for her she is a grail pony.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

BabyInBlue

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
Thanks for ALL the input!! I think I can narrow it down to her just being popular between "The Golden Horseshoes" (Which I still have on VHS, LOL!) & her colors! ^.^

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »
I have always thought its one of two things with mimic....the ability to say you own a mimic...its like a special thing because she is pricey.

Or, perhaps people do like her color. I am not as fond of her colors, but its been my dream to find one for 1.00 rather than spending lots of money for one.  To me thats the way to get expensive ponies...steal of a deals.

Oh and I forgot to say that there is also the possibility that the symbol is highly sought after by people who love this particular bird.  Sometimes I buy ponies only for their symbol.  The symbol might represent something very important to me.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:14:32 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »
I want Mimic but I bet my family won't want me paying $100 for just one pony lol

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 11:28:32 PM »
As a general statement, the second set of certain sets of ponies (so softs, TAFs and TEs) tend to be a little more expensive than the first set - and in each set, there's one that's more sought after than the rest.  So softs have Crumpet, tAFs have Munchy and TEs have Mimic.  I was under the impression that, as a general statement, there are slightly less second set ponies in existence because there was a little less distribution later into the MLP run but I could be wrong about that.  Moving on. . ,

I do agree that Minic s really sought after because she's green, she's featured in an episode (though she doesn't do much *in* that episode) and since she's sought after, people want her.  It kinda becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Though I know a lt of collectors genuinely like her.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 05:57:41 PM »
Mimic, Diamond Dreams, Red Roses, Crumpet, Munchy...all have the same thing...they are super sought after by collectors and they are all traditionally more expensive than all the other ponies in their sets. However, within the US they are just as common and back in the 80s were released in the same quantities as the other ponies in their sets.

Notice that all of these ponies are also yellow?  Yes, I know that Mimic is technically a lime green colour, but to some eyes, she is chartreuse, that tricky colour between lemon and lime. 

Oh, and KarentheUnicorn, your Jedi mind trick Mimic totally had me laughing out loud.  That was awesome!  ^.^

As a side note, I also read that while Mimic was as readily available as the other TE ponies, her colour wasn't as popular with little girls, meaning less grown women selling their childhood Mimics. 

And lastly, I have a question, was Mimic ever actually sold with golden horseshoes?

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »
No, the only pony ever sold with golden horseshoes was Majesty (with Dream Castle).  Mimic's "ancestor" in that episode looks very much like Majesty, though.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »
I think it has to do with the episode she was in. I thought that not a ton of Mimic's were purchased back then and that's why she's a bit rare? She is fairly unique for colours too which is why she's still loved I think.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 09:10:51 PM »
I think that this is what happens to any "background" pony that has attention focused on it too strongly.  :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 05:06:32 AM »
No, the only pony ever sold with golden horseshoes was Majesty (with Dream Castle).  Mimic's "ancestor" in that episode looks very much like Majesty, though.

Thanks for your help.  I had never really given much thought to Majesty's golden horseshoes before since I've only ever seen them in eBay lots.  Do you think Majesty would mind if Mimic borrowed her horseshoes?   :P

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 05:46:23 AM »
She was only in one episode.  I think that's one of the reasons why she's so special.

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 05:48:26 AM »
Hmm I don't get it myself, not being a fan of the TEs or the pose, but this is a very interesting thread all the same.  ^.^

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal