collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why is Mimic so special?  (Read 1976 times)

BabyInBlue

• Trade Count: (0)
Why is Mimic so special?
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
I have her now, but can't figure out what's so great about her? I thought she was the only one molded like her several years ago, but obviously her mold is actually pretty common. She's just a unicorn, no sparkles, no special markings, maybe just the color of her body?? :blink:

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Mimic so special?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »
I believe she wasn't available for too long and has become rare and sought after.
Congrats on getting her  :)

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:27:43 AM »
For me it's a combination of the colors, the twinkle eyes and the pose. There's not many green ponies and not many with such vibrant mane and tail. There are also only three ponies in that lovely pose.

Also this:
I believe she wasn't available for too long and has become rare and sought after.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Linnzy

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:41:47 AM »
i don't know.

For me, I'm not specially in love with her or anything...I just know that when I was a kid, that one episode about her was one of my faves, and she wasn't even in it that much....

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »

Is this really the case though? I don't know why her distribution would have been any different than any other TE, she wasn't limited in any way. IMO she's not rare at all, she comes up for sale a lot. Nine Mimics were sold on eBay last month alone, compare that to G3 Tinka-too II for example, last time one sold on eBay was october.

Mimic belongs to a very popular set of ponies and has a very bright and distinct color-scheme, this has made her a very popular pony, but that doesn't equal being rare.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
For a lot of people, it's because she was the focus of a MLP cartoon special. I forget the name.....the magic horseshoes maybe?

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

Is this really the case though? I don't know why her distribution would have been any different than any other TE, she wasn't limited in any way. IMO she's not rare at all, she comes up for sale a lot. Nine Mimics were sold on eBay last month alone, compare that to G3 Tinka-too II for example, last time one sold on eBay was october.

Mimic belongs to a very popular set of ponies and has a very bright and distinct color-scheme, this has made her a very popular pony, but that doesn't equal being rare.

I got her pretty easy back in the 80's, I believe I bought her at k-mart for $5.something. I think it's a bit of a myth that she was limited back then - I saw her in the store, she was not hard to find any more than the other ponies of that year.

I don't think she is limited, it is just a pony people want and thus there is a market for her whenever she pops up for sale or on ebay. Since I got online back 1997 people have wanted her, so she is a pony that has maintained her status as a must have pony. I think that is due to the collecting community more than it is to the pony actually being limited.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »
I don't think she is limited, it is just a pony people want and thus there is a market for her whenever she pops up for sale or on ebay. Since I got online back 1997 people have wanted her, so she is a pony that has maintained her status as a must have pony. I think that is due to the collecting community more than it is to the pony actually being limited.

Agreed, She's "rare" for one thing, rare to find for under $20, but if you want to drop $100 or more she's very easy to get! Out of the set, Tic Tac Toe I find shows up way less often then the others. Quackers, Mimic and Locket showing up for sale the most. (well, Speedy the MOST but she was a re-release). The episode, esthetic appeal with her unique bodycolour  and to a large degree bragging rights has put her in the price bracket she is in.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
Who doesn't want a parrot pony? No real reason other than collector market. Same with Red Roses.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »
I thought she wasn't as common as she was single packed in the distribution boxes?

She wasn't available in the UK so she is rare in that aspect, apart from that she is green (win) has twinkle eyes (win win!) and is completely unique looking to any other pony :)

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
I think a lot of people like her for different reasons and she's just one of the really popular ponies from the set :) Like you will always see Munchy go for way more than some of the other TAF such as Bonnie Bonnets or Up Up and Away. Munchy is popular with collectors just as Mimic is :) As for me, I love her because of her colors, her pose, and she's a TE - my favorite set ^.^
My Wish List

Offline Buddafly

• ERMAHGERD PWNIES!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • coffee addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:14:20 PM »
I think part of her draw is also the fact that she was the focus of a multipart episode cartoon, the golden horse shoes.
looking into a re-branding.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
I do not have her and just cant get myself to pay what she is going for right now. So she is on the bottom of my want list.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 02:23:48 PM »
I don't remember what the deal was exactly, but there have been a few of these topics popping out here and there and I remember more knowledgeable peeps saying that her release was more limited. Now, if I remember correctly that goes for her and a few other ponies in her run. She is not rare as such, but isn't as abundant as other Twinke Eyes.

But yes, I imagine her popularity comes from her unique colour scheme. I personally cannot get over that pose (not a fan) so I'd never spend much money on her ^^ but I'm obviously in the minority
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Tancho

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 04:27:39 PM »
I agree with a lot of what has been said here, there is sought after and there is genuinely rare.  Mimic isn't the most common pony by any means, but she certainly isn't the rarest.  I have Mimic myself and I sometimes think with some collectors it's more a case of a must-have with no particular reason other than her being sought after although don't get me wrong there are people who genuinely love her!  There are lots of ponies that out do her price was and rarity that just don't have the same enigma that Mimic has.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal