collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: retro MLP toys and media  (Read 5308 times)

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
retro MLP toys and media
« on: August 23, 2016, 07:08:27 AM »
A question for MLP collectors; with the G1 vinyl toys being made by Loyal Subjects, it seems retro MLP for collectors might be making a comeback. Over at the MOTU toyline from Mattel, super7 is producing a line of retro MOTU figures, along with an animated 11-min special that was released at comic-con. What I would like to ask is, would you guys like it if a third party company licensed G1 MLP from Hasbro, and made a brushible toy line, and possibly animation/comics directed at collectors? With no connection to, or mention of, FiM? Hasbro is currently doing this with Machinima making a G1 transformers animated series, and I was thinking it could be done with MLP. And since Hasbro clearly isn't interested, maybe someone else would step in, and license retro MLP? What do the rest of you think?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: retro MLP toys and media
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 07:11:38 AM »
For new g1 animated stuff, sure but clearly not inspired by FiM,in the style of the old g1 cartoon.For new brushable toys, i don't think so because it's never going to be able to top the actual g1 toys and people are going to compare them to the old ones.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:15:43 AM by Jorgito93 »

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:54:40 AM »
I'm all for more G1 inspired toys (things made in the same sculpting style as g1s but different poses would be amazing, or even just new ponies in the same molds!) but I have no real attatchment to the old show, so I would rather not see new episodes. I would love G1 style versions of G4 characters.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:06:43 AM »
I would love to see a return of Wind Whistler and Fizzy and the other G1 ponies to television or at least the internet streaming or a comic.  Really, take the original setup and make it better structured.

Really, MLP needs some more variety in its media.  Mane 6 everywhere has gotten beyond boring.  Hasbro has a pantheon of characters to use.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:33:42 AM »
I think it woud be nice to have more toys/models in the G1 style, but not necessarily directly emulating the old brushables. I'd really love some decorative models that illustrate ponies doing certain activities, a bit like the original porcelain ones but perhaps done as vinyl models. Some pegasus ponies perching on clouds and sea ponies riding on waves would make great decorations, I reckon. :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:43:11 AM »
I don't know that a lot of G1 collectors really want new G1 media content.  It's discussed a lot, but always in the context of this perfect thing that 'could be'.  I don't know that MLP collectors are prepared to handle the reality that a G1 reboot could be mediocre, lackluster, and majorly change / overhaul the old characters (if they were even used).  So I think that is something to think about before clamoring for G1 content.   Will we accept it if it is not very good?

The reason I bring this up is the third party Transformers animation that was mentioned, the one made by Machinima, is pretty bad.  In particular, it has TERRIBLE voice acting and they changed Windblade from "diplomat who is a poor fighter and tries to build coalitions instead of beating everyone into the ground" into "generic vengeful super warrior who can defeat a giant combiner and totally beats people into the ground."

I was pretty disappointed;  it's like they had no concept of why people liked Windblade to begin with, which was that she was DIFFERENT from most TF characters.

Oh, and they also introduce a brand new character, kill her off 15 seconds later, and actually expect the audience to care about her.  Yeeeah, nooo.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:48:59 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
[quote author=LadyMoondancer link=topic=381552.msg1574807#msg1574807 date=1471970591

Oh, and they also introduce a brand new character, kill her off 15 seconds later, and actually expect the audience to care about her.  Yeeeah, nooo.
[/quote]
Yes, hasbro has never done that before *cough* TFP Cliffjumper *cough*

But yes i don't think a lot will be able to accept it could be bad.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 10:15:26 AM »
I wouldn't mind good quality retro rereleases of a select few iconic ponies. I wouldn't even mind if they were shrunk down to G4 size as long as they kept the original proportions and didn't look like those deformed oddities that come with the little books.

But as far as media it seems pointless. It really would just end up being FIM with a new veneer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:17:40 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »
Yes, hasbro has never done that before *cough* TFP Cliffjumper *cough*

This might surprise you, but after piecing together some very subtle clues, I have concluded that Starscream killed Cliffjumper  :lol:

But yeah, poor guy. Forgot to put his plot armor on.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 11:46:34 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a G1-style mini series or movie, but not necessarily an ongoing series. 

I would LOVE to see new, unique ponies using the old G1 molds.  They're nostalgic, but still new and creative.   I'm afraid if they try to make their own molds, it's just not going to look G1 enough.   But I don't really want them remaking the same G1 ponies over and over again....like they did with Core 7 and Mane 6.   What made G1's special for me was the vast variety, while keeping that G1 look. 

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »
Machinima isn't exactly the place to go for quality anything, especially writing and character development.

Though, I don't know who I would trust with the G1 material anymore.  The actual staff for FiM would probably just do the same thing.  Even IDW scares me.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
Actually that one book company is making those cute retro minis. Firefly flopped, but Glory is precious! I would love to see more from them.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 07:18:42 PM »
Oh yes please!  I would love to see more G1 style toys.  New characters would be great.  I'd really only be interested in releases of old characters for customizing or to get hard to find ones I can't afford (and no, this won't lower the value of the originals because I wouldn't have been able to buy them anyway).  If they want to release some hairless white ponies, I'd be fine with that!

Anything else they made I'd be willing to check out as well.  And can't we get some of the awesome accessories ponies used to have?

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »
I'd be totally fine with retro re-releases (Bridge Direct is making some amazing Strawberry Shortcake ones) merchandise, TV series, what-have-you.  Really.  Anything they want to release, I'm willing to at least give them a chance.  :)

I know it won't live up to my childhood, 80's memories.  I've made peace with that.  But I'd love to have some pony stuff that I'm excited to buy in stores again.  It's been such a long time and I'm just not a g4 collector.

But that's just me.     
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 09:51:04 PM »
I'd be interested in old and new!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless