collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So Who Else Reads Comics?  (Read 910 times)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: So Who Else Reads Comics?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 04:28:41 AM »
I like manga but not comics.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 04:35:20 AM »
I was reading them both marvel and Dc till the 90's hit ugghhhhhh what a violent ugly mess that was. I am still a fan of the sonic the hedgehog serious though, however sense issues are nearly $ 5.00 a pop I just read them in the store.

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »
Marvel gal here lol. X-men, Uncanny X-men, Gen-X, some wolverine. Loveee love the uncanny x-men series. Mostly back in the late 80s and 90s I was heavily into the comics. #500 Death of superman and I think a batman comic or two are all I own of DC.

Manga, Finished Inuyasha, FMA and trinity blood now just Bleach and Naruto I'm into and keep current with. Might get into Vampire Knight. Looks interesting.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 05:03:33 AM »
I do! I do!  I've been reading comics since I was 11 and started getting Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 

I am now mostly a marvel girl, and regularly buy x-men titles, and Spidey.  But I also love the current Wizard of Oz stories Marvel brings out, Fables, My little pony, Buffy and Angel.  And if ever, Neil Gaiman, Allen Moore or Jhonen Vasquez release something, I buy that too.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
I forgot all the Buffy and Angel comics!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 06:37:25 PM »
Me and DC/Marvel are... having a trial separation after too many crossovers and when Marvel literally put every character in X-Men I liked on a bus and hit the bus with a missile, but I read stuff from the nineties and before still. And I was just reading BPRD from Dark Horse, which puts out a lot of great comics, and so does Image.

Right this morning I was reading the first Astro City comics. It was wonderful seeing a Superman expie where the twist wasn't 'and he's a jerk!'

Also, I've been reading my way through Case Closed! and some 80s-90s manga like Baby & Me, Here is Greenwood, and YuYu Hakusho.

Post Merge: December 05, 2013, 06:39:27 PM

They're the same thing, actually! Just one is Japan, and one is North America. In various parts of Europe they're called bande dessinée. (Asterix, Tintin, etc) The only thing that really separates them from some Western comics is region, because they vary as much as ours do and are sometimes identical in their own way.

Actually, speaking of that, I'm also rereading my way through Tintin and I read an awesome Spanish comic called Blacksad recently. Gorgeous watercolour work. It's a noir mystery with carictures of humans as animals set in 1950s America.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:44:12 PM by Rosencrantz »
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline BabiChuld

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • With pony powers, come pony responsibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 04:38:14 AM »
Hellboy and Walking Dead are the two I'm most in to right now, with some Batman thrown in for good measure XD
Thank you Lindsay1988 for this beautiful Sig!  :lovey:

Don't worry, be happy!  :P Come visit my pony page to see my collection grow ^_^ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joannas-collection-of-Vintage-My-Little-Pony-toys/171365783052710

My Ridiculously huge Wishlist XD http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,347431.new.html#new

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 04:48:12 AM »
American style comics?? Never read any.
Manga? I only started reading them this year. Aparently I missed out on all this stuff when I was a teen  :cry: I much rather watch the anime versions though. Fighting scenes just dont work for me when drawn on a peice of paper and colored in black and white ink.

The last one I read was Inu X Boku SS and Kamisama Hajimeshita (sp?). I like ones that have already finished though. Then I dont have to wait for the next episode.  >_<

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:49:50 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »
I have a bunch of X-Men comics, but will be selling the majority of them tomorrow since I'm broke :P I haven't really been into X-Men the last few years and I haven't read any of the comics in ages. So time to sell ;)
My Wish List

808pony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 03:47:12 PM »
I started with Elfquest in the US.  And since I'm bilingual, I read the Japanese language manga:  FullMetal Alchemist, Ganmu (known as "Battle Angel Alita" here in US), Sailor Moon, DragonBall (the manga spans through DB and DBZ).  For rom-com manga, it would be the oldies: Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2.  The oldest Japanese manga that I've read would be from the '70's, Sukeban Deka (soooooooo awesome, I have the 1st run of the original set, still mint, despite being read over and over by me), and Doraemon (LOL….).

As for IDW, I have 3 single copies of the comic for my daughter to read, but I have the condensed ones that come out (Issues 1, 2, and 3 is to come soon, and I have the small one that's basically a print version of the episodes, illustrated….so far, just "The Magic Begins")

Offline Pumpkin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • Enjoy the little things in life.
    • View Profile
    • Het Kamertje eBay
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
I'm 36 and I'm still reading comics :blush: I collect all the comics of Storm and Aria. Sometimes a buy a Douwe Dabbert, I don't know if you guys are familiar with those?

Visite Het Kamertje!

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 04:47:17 PM »

They're the same thing, actually! Just one is Japan, and one is North America. In various parts of Europe they're called bande dessinée. (Asterix, Tintin, etc) The only thing that really separates them from some Western comics is region, because they vary as much as ours do and are sometimes identical in their own way.

Yes and no. I think the comics/manga distinction, or using manga as a shorthand for "Japanese comics" like kaoskat does, is useful to some degree, even though you're right in that the line between the two is fuzzy. To give an obvious example, Miyazaki Hayao's watercolor "manga" like Hikoutei jidai (on which Porco Rosso was based) are closer in style to European comics than typical manga.

The "various parts of Europe" would be mainly France and Belgium. Here in Finland (where the sequential art we're talking about is called sarjakuva), BD is sometimes used as a label for Franco-Belgian comics much like manga for Japanese ones.

I like manga -- and I definitely prefer it over anime -- but I'm not a fan of American comics. ^^;

Sounds like me, including the fact that I only watch anime when someone forces invites me to. I greatly enjoy Dykes to Watch Out for though... that's American and a comic. There must be a number of European things that I like, still I read manga most of the time. Plus, one of the relatively few things that beat reading comics (let us define manga as a subset of comics for this purpose) is making them. :P

My favourite mangas tend to be old school. Lately I've been happy about the fact that Okazaki Kyoko's Pink got released in English. Now if we only got River's Edge.

The oldest Japanese manga that I've read would be from the '70's, Sukeban Deka (soooooooo awesome, I have the 1st run of the original set, still mint, despite being read over and over by me)

Wow, I know Sukeban Deka exists and would love to know enough Japanese to read it too, I tend to like everything sukeban.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 08:56:39 AM »
I'm 36 and I'm still reading comics

No worries, Im 34 and my boyfriend is 46. He reads typical comics like marvel superhero stuff...whatever the hell wolverine is considered

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Tenar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
...Currently, I'm reading: Demon Love Spell and Happy Marriage?!

I'm a big manga reader, I loved Happy Marriage.  It is starting to be released now so I'm going to buy it as it comes out.   I'd suggest Butterflies, Flowers if you liked Happy Marriage it has similar story and humor.

Red River is my favorite manga but I've read a lot of different kinds.  I'm a sucker for romance stories :P but I also like good horror and fantasy.

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
...Currently, I'm reading: Demon Love Spell and Happy Marriage?!

I'm a big manga reader, I loved Happy Marriage.  It is starting to be released now so I'm going to buy it as it comes out.   I'd suggest Butterflies, Flowers if you liked Happy Marriage it has similar story and humor.

Red River is my favorite manga but I've read a lot of different kinds.  I'm a sucker for romance stories :P but I also like good horror and fantasy.

I actually just finished up Butterflies, Flowers right before Happy Marriage came out.  I'm a total sucker for josei titles  :blush:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal