collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wisdom tooth experiences?  (Read 2996 times)

Offline teacher316

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Wisdom tooth experiences?
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:56:37 PM »
I'm having my wisdom tooth out tomorrow and am a little nervous. Does anyone have any experiences where it was not horribly painful? I have taken a couple people to the dentist for extractions and they were always in A LOT of pain afterwards! Then again I'm only having one taken out and they had 2 or more done. Ugh! I need some encouraging stories if you have them!

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Wisdom tooth experiences?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »
I had three out, but they were not impacted so it was not that bad.  I had them out on a Thursday and by Sunday I was back out again and felt pretty much normal :)  My advice is if they tell you to put an ice pack on soon after you get home, do just that.  I made sure to do that and kept the ice pack on for a while had very little swelling that way.  Since you only have one, it should not be too bad  :)  I know it can be nerve-wracking and I, like you was nervous since I had heard some friends say they were in a lot of pain.  I know everyone is different, but for me personally, it definitely was not as bad as I thought it would be!   Your doctor should be able to give you some good advice for recovery too, or help you if you have any questions in general :)   Try to relax if you can and get a good night's sleep- it will be over before you know it and you will feel better once the tooth is removed.  Pony hugs  :lovey:
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »
Mine was pretty severe - they were sideways and long, lol. Ice and aaprin and sof foods and heat help
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »
Instead of having surgery, I had my two back teeth--one on each side--removed because they both needed root canal anyway. This was done months apart. The first pull went really, really well. No sutures, it didn't bleed much, and relatively no pain after the first day. The second one was so deep, my dentist saw my jawbone. The pain was terrible, I wouldn;t stop bleeding, I had mnay sutures and was put on antibiotics to fight a potential sinus infection. It only lasted a week, though. I woke up one day last week and there was no pain at all! I had the sutures removed and the dentist said I've healed up quite well. Now all I have to di is wait for the wisdom tooth to drop down and grown, like it has on the other side. Alot easier than getting that three hour surgery.
Edit: Okay, the story of the pain probably just scared you. Didn;t mean to do that. What I had was completely different than what you'll probably be doing. My post was originally meant to show the difference between the two extractions and to say that although your friends went through a lot of pain, it doesn't necessarily mean you will too :) Just trust in the doctor and try to keep yourself calm and it should go well!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:19:09 PM by xkelpiex »

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »
I was a freak of nature - I actually had five wisdom teeth, all impacted.  The surgery itself wasn't bad.  I was out cold (they had to dig in my jaw, after all) and gave me good drugs.  I didn't eat for 48 hours - just slept and drank water.

The aftercare is the tedious and annoying part.  Flushing your sockets out after meals, all that stuff.  It can get really sore, so have ice and heat packs ready.  Remember, ice dulls severe sharp pain and reduces swelling; hot slowly eases pain away.  Use what works for you.

Don't be surprised if your hearing is off for a day or two.  No one told me this!  I got freaked out when I was listening to a CD I'd listened to many times, and the sound was off by about a half-note.  XD It's very temporary, though.

Do NOT eat if you don't feel like it, no matter how folks around you may try to get you to.

Good luck!  Don't be nervous.  It's really not that bad.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
I was knocked out for my 4 impacted wisdom teeth. I had a hard time waking up. I just slept and got drool all over my pillow a lot for the first 24 hours afterwards. The pain wasn't too bad. Ice and heat is good like Eviecorn said! I had 4 other teeth removed before that. I prefer being knocked out.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
I was knocked out for my 4 impacted wisdom teeth. I had a hard time waking up. I just slept and got drool all over my pillow a lot for the first 24 hours afterwards. The pain wasn't too bad. Ice and heat is good like Eviecorn said! I had 4 other teeth removed before that. I prefer being knocked out.

Pretty much this exactly, haha. The worst part for me was coming out from under the anesthesia. I actually had pretty much zero pain after my 4 came out. I was miserable for about 4 days because my antibiotics made me feel sick, but other than that it was fine.

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
I actually just had mine out last month.  Mine weren't impacted, but they were coming in sideways.  The worst part wasn't the actual extraction or even afterwards, I simply psyched myself up and got super nervous, and it really was all for nothing.  It wasn't very painful at all for me, and after the teeth were out the dentist gave me some drugs that eased the pain and helped me sleep.  After a couple of days of those drugs, I stopped taking them and was able to switch to ibuprofen.  I ate things like pudding and jello for the first few days, then was able to move on to more and more solid foods.  Don't forget to drink plenty of water as well!

Really the main thing that bugged me was keeping the holes in my gums clean, but again, it wasn't painful, just kind of annoying when food would get trapped in there and I had to swish water in my mouth for like 5 minutes.

I'm sure you will do fine, once it is done, you never have to worry about it again! :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »
I need mine out but I'm terrified of the surgery.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 10:14:43 PM »
I had all four of mine out at once.  Two weren't impacted and the other two were only partially impacted.  They put me in a twilight sleep for it.  I could tell they were doing something in my mouth and could respond to some instructions but was only partially concious.  It really wasn't as bad as I feared.  I only took the prescribed pain medicine the first day then only some over-the counter stuff after that (tylenol or aspirin or something like that).  They did get one of my stitches too tight so I had a dull ache on one side right up until I went in to get the stitches removed (not really that painful - just uncomfortable).  The ache disappeared the instant they clipped the thread.  I think it was my mom that said hers were the easiest teeth she'd ever had pulled - they weren't impacted and had practically no roots. 

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 12:26:03 AM »
I had two out (both on the same side of my mouth).  They were through the gum and sitting straight but the bottom one had an infection under it that did not clear up with antibiotics.  The dentist took them both out inside of 20 minutes and I didn't feel a thing.  I needed stitches on the bottom and the holes in my gums were pretty 'mushy' feeling (ewww) for a while but that was all. I had KFC potato and gravy for tea that night :)

Good luck!!

Offline buttons

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 12:32:52 AM »
I had all mine out at once. It wasn't painful at all, but then again I was put completely out for it. Only bad thing was... the top ones got really infected and took 2 months to heal D: And the stitches fell out..and I couldn't eat anything! I suppose that wasn't the most reassuring story xD Most people seem to heal within a few days to weeks and have very little pain :) I wouldn't worry about it at all! Good luck!

Signature rotating, adoptables by me, Rainbowjuice, Lina, RevRuby :) Thank you!

Offline tornadoe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 01:32:14 AM »
I had two taken out at the start of the year. I was totaly anethatised but woke up feeling very grogy as they gave me 20mg of tamazipam first.
Let your heart guide you. It whispers so listen cloesly..

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 01:36:45 AM »
I had my 4 taken out under a general anesthetic, they were coming through rotten or impacted or both. I can't have any dental work done concious, I have to go to a sedation clinic and be given the happy drugs.

Aftercare is the main thing, I lapsed with the mouthwash and ended up with a nasty infection in half my face. Getting antibiotics as a just in case is an idea! But having one out is different to four, it shouldn't be as traumatic on your body for a start :)

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 05:22:45 AM »
All of mine removed the same day. Dreaded the day until afterwards, no matter what my parents said but they were right in the end. I healed up quicker than the doc anticipated and did get to basically eat what I felt like eating vs what I'd normally eat, which was kinda nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal