collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why exactly are pony tails fizzy?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why exactly are pony tails fizzy?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
Is it the same stuff as the EQG Long hair Rainbow dash? We got one for my daughter and the hair is just this fuzzy, cotton ball, "S*&#" that you cant brush because it comes out in clumps. And there were a bunch of hair plugs that were completely missing, the holes were just empty. I was sooo disappointed.
I had planned on getting her one(delux) of each character, but if the rest of them have the same hair Im not going to waste the money.

Unfortunately some of the EQG dolls have this "bad hair" problem. It's not the same as frizzy tails in the pony line, but it can still be fixed if you very carefully comb and soak in conditioner for a while. All of my EQG dolls, bad hair or good hair, have shed a fair amount upon first combing. Also the hair plug design of EQG means that they do a "hair curtain" - there's a thicker row of plugs around the sides of the head and where they want to do a part, but underneath the curtain the plugs are very thin and sparse, especially on the back of the head which can be nearly bald on some dolls. This is by design, there aren't meant to be more plugs and they aren't supposed to be thicker filled in. :huh: It's low quality but I guess five year olds don't care.

Back on the subject of bad hair, Deluxe Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, the double pack with Twilight and Sunset, and long hair Rainbow Dash are the ones I've personally gotten with bad hair. I've also heard that some of the early basic dolls had bad hair, but mine were all nice and silky out of the box. Deluxe Rainbow Dash with the black/pink boots has good hair, as well as Deluxe Fluttershy with the clear butterfly wings accessory. Deluxe RD with the red/silver boots and Deluxe FS with the purple wings almost always have bad hair in my experience. The double pack has been found in both good and bad hair versions, I personally bought one with both dolls having bad hair, and then found a discounted set with good hair Twilight/bad hair Sunset. So perhaps Sunset is rarer to find with good hair, I haven't seen one on shelves yet. The only one yet to have a good hair version is the long hair Rainbow Dash.

The key to finding good hair is to compare the boxes with one you know has good hair like a basic doll (I think most stores carry both Basic and Deluxe so you should be able to look before you buy) - good hair should look super shiny and bouncy, especially if curled. Tilting them in the store light should give you a good indication of the sheen. The bad hair Twilight has her bangs glued down and they look super duper flat and straight, the good hair version has them glued but because they are so bouncy they often come up off the forehead a bit. I have also found that my Deluxe RD with bad hair has a strip of dull olive green hair on the side of her head, whereas all other RD dolls that I've seen have a bright apple green strip. I've got a good hair Deluxe RD on the way in the mail, so I'll be checking if she's apple or olive. Apple green might be another indication of good hair (except on long hair Dash who has it regardless). Older versions of Deluxe Fluttershy have a dark pink hair whereas newer versions have a lighter, almost salmony pink colour that is present on the Basic doll as well. I'm not sure if light hair means good hair, I haven't found a light hair Deluxe myself yet.

Yes I knew that she would have the big bald patches. Im actually talking about plug holes that are present but dont have any hair in them. And It wasnt just the first time I brushed her hair. Ive brushed it a few times and lots come out every time.   :(
I finally broke down and braided it so that I wouldn't get so mad everytime I brushed it. :mad: what's the point of having extra long hair if you can't brush it. :cry:

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »
The frizz I've encountered ranges from slightly rough ends to the disaster that is my Rainbow Power Rarity's tail.  I think that everyone should look for low sheen and differences between the tone of the mane and tail to try and determine which ponies have bad hair.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »
Well, if any pony should have frizzy hair, it's Twist...

Binny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 12:08:40 AM »
This has been driving me nuts with the g4s. I have a Rainbow Dash as well with a particularly frizzy tail. A condition and trim really doesn't seem to help much either.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 08:45:28 AM »
Well, if any pony should have frizzy hair, it's Twist...

LOL  Truth.  XD

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 11:28:29 AM »
But why use different quality hair for the mane and tail? That just doesn't make sense to me.  :enthralled: :wonder:

Hasblow has never made sense.  Ever. 

Offline sleepyowl

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 11:37:44 AM »
I've been noticing these awful, dry frizzy tails since the first wave of Masquerade ponies. Every playful pony I've got since then has had the same tail issues. It's been driving me crazy. The worst is when they have little frizzy fuzzballs of tangled hair come out too.

I haven't found any way to really fix it. I've tried leaving condition in, I've tried fabric softener... I've tried conditioner, fabric softener and a flat iron all together and nope lol. I might get the tails a tiny bit less crappy, but they're still crappy.

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »
I've been noticing these awful, dry frizzy tails since the first wave of Masquerade ponies. Every playful pony I've got since then has had the same tail issues. It's been driving me crazy. The worst is when they have little frizzy fuzzballs of tangled hair come out too.

I haven't found any way to really fix it. I've tried leaving condition in, I've tried fabric softener... I've tried conditioner, fabric softener and a flat iron all together and nope lol. I might get the tails a tiny bit less crappy, but they're still crappy.
I've tried a lot of things too and it just doesn't get better!  I took the one pony who's tail was completely unpresentable and braided it.  There is still a giant poof of frizz at the end of the braid, but it's better.

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 11:46:20 AM »
Is it the same stuff as the EQG Long hair Rainbow dash? We got one for my daughter and the hair is just this fuzzy, cotton ball, "S*&#" that you cant brush because it comes out in clumps. And there were a bunch of hair plugs that were completely missing, the holes were just empty. I was sooo disappointed.
I had planned on getting her one(delux) of each character, but if the rest of them have the same hair Im not going to waste the money.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a doll.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline MiRaja

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »

Kind of defeats the purpose of a doll.

And about exactly why all of my dolls were made previous to 1960.  Doll quality has just gone so down hill.  I know some people like the BJD which go for hundreds and hundreds of dollars, if not several grand, but even they have their issues and for what you're buying(I've heard how they change colors and oxidize and UV bleach so easily). . .  It doesn't make sense.

Most of the EQG dolls are $10-$20?  Right?  Which is ridiculous for what you're getting.  With inflation and all that good stuff, dolls back in the 1930's-1950's ( What I refer to as the golden era of dolls ) is about the same price in a lot of cases.  Not in the case of like Cissy or Madame Alexander, though I have a doll made by her, whose shoe is stamped '$19.99' which would've have been her original price in 1944!  Holy hell!  Yet that was the price for a doll that was produced in very, very small quantities.  ( It's known there were 12 versions ( they're like Cylons, apparently ) of this doll, depicting different characters, but less than 100 of EACH were made, and given how rarely these dolls pop up, I'd believe there were only 1200 of them produced altogether! ) 

But then we get down to the nitty gritty of quality. . .  But for some minor craze lines ( which is more an issue of storage and not play ) most of my dolls are in perfect condition!  They have some rubs at their joints and such, but they still look -exactly- like what they would've originally!  They have full heads of hair, they have FEET, their eyes open and close, they come with beautifully sewn clothing with slips, shoes, etc, etc, that were made like real people's clothing, not some molded plastic crap.  Also, size.  Some of them are nearly 30inches tall!  Then my plastic dolls:  They have not yellowed.  Their heads are not a different color than their bodies.  They do not get plastic break down spots, they don't get sticky ( there are dolls around this time that DID, but the amount of doll and toy break down from the 1940's and 1950's is far less than what it is now!  I mean, we're talking about toys that are over TWICE the age of the first G1 line!  And we have G4's that are changing colors and G3's that are falling to bits! ) 

I have *tried* to buy modern dolls and give them a try.  Rhini was my last modern doll.  I sold her.  She did nothing for me.  Meanwhile, of my 20 or so antique American dolls, I've tried to come up with a list of two or three to sell as in to lighten up ( 20 dolls doesn't sound like a lot, but I have a Japanese doll collection as well, a kimono collection and misc other Japanese item collection, along with my ponies!  I have so much stuff! ) but I couldn't come up with a one as I feel my doll collection really is complete as it stands and I don't want to regret selling any one of them. 

And it's the same reason I can't buy new ponies either.  I got a G4 Fashion Rarity for Christmas because my roommate knew that she was the one pony I lamented selling in terms of new.  But the hair is definitely different just from the first Fashion Style release.  :/ 

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 01:07:57 PM »
Most of the EQG dolls are $10-$20?  Right?  Which is ridiculous for what you're getting.

And lucky us non US collectors, we get to pay 30 to 40 euros which equals about 40 to 55 dollars for those same dolls. Well, this thread just confirms that buying an EQG doll would be a complete waste of my money.

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

LuckyTwirlerina

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »
My very, very few G4s all seem to have that problem as well, and I've found that a dip in some olive oil followed by a very gentle shampoo does the trick. I discovered it by accident when I was using oil to de-glue a Shadowbolt Rainbow Dash's mane, and tried it on my Wysteria and Sunset Shimmer with fantastic results!  :lol:

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 04:07:04 PM »
My very, very few G4s all seem to have that problem as well, and I've found that a dip in some olive oil followed by a very gentle shampoo does the trick. I discovered it by accident when I was using oil to de-glue a Shadowbolt Rainbow Dash's mane, and tried it on my Wysteria and Sunset Shimmer with fantastic results!  :lol:
That's crazy!  I'm going to give that a shot right now!

Tenar

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »
I think frizz is the bending of the plastic in the hair.  At least, this is what I noticed for G1s and G3s (don't have a lot of G4s de-boxed). 

I've taken an iron (one for clothes) on low setting and straightened some of the hair fibers and this has reduced the frizz but removing it completely is really difficult.   You have to be careful not to damage the hair, I usually keep it wet while trying to straighten it.

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »
 :blink:  Wow, although it's not completely gone, the olive oil really cut down on the frizz!  My lovely RP Rarity is now good enough looking to put on normal display!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal