collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To Laminate or Not To Laminate...  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
To Laminate or Not To Laminate...
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
I have one of the old game board/posters from the Pony Club- the one that came with Baby Blue Ribbon. I have her, too, but I don't need to laminate her!

My sister works at a school, and for a minimal donation, I can get it laminated by someone who knows what they are doing. Now my question is... should I?

I do not intend to sell this, though I am curious how much one is worth. It is not in mint condition- I played with it as a child, I hung it on the wall so it has pinholes, and there is a little corner with some water damage. The water damage is actually why I want to laminate it- right now it is in the safe, and I would rather display it. But I don't want to display it without knowing it will be safe.
Someday it might get sold- I might need the money, or my son will inherit the collection and not care about the poster.

I know in the end it is mine, and I can do what I want with it. But what would you do?

Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
Re: To Laminate or Not To Laminate...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 11:08:37 AM »
How large is it? It may be worth getting a rigid holder such as those used for autgraphed photos? That way if can be inserted (carefully) and displayed with the option to remove it if ever needed. It's less bulky than a full frame and it has less chance of sliding or slipping.

Laminating is pretty final and I don't trust plastic not to yellow-out long term.

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 11:09:49 AM »
It's about the size of a full-size poster, maybe two feet by three feet? My husband suggested a large poster frame, and that may be the way to go.

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »
I would have it framed and maybe in a airtight frame if possible?
Once you laminate you cant really reverse it (as far as I know)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »
If you want to preserve it, don't laminate it. Lamination is NOT a protective measure for paper and is considered damaging. Here's a link with more information: http://www.archives.alabama.gov/officials/conservlamin02.html

And here's a quote from the link: Most often the adhesives used in lamination are also acidic. These factors combined with the heat used in this process act to speed up the acid reaction of the document or book page causing progressive deterioration and eventual embrittlement. Therefore, heat-seal lamination is ultimately extremely harmful to records. It is only appropriate for material with a short life expectancy and should never be applied to documents of historical or intrinsic value.

A picture frame is a much, much better alternative. It will keep the paper protected from the elements but will not damage it and, if something happens and you need to fix the paper, you can always remove it from the frame. If you don't want to hang it on your wall and want to store it, instead, there are heavy plastic sleeves that you can buy that will protect it in a similar fashion (see here: http://smile.amazon.com/PLASTIC-PROTECTIVE-SLEEVE-8x10-PHOTOS/dp/B000ESUL3Y/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1461608225&sr=8-16&keywords=plastic+sleeves+for+pictures).

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 12:06:02 PM »
If you don't want to hang it on your wall and want to store it, instead, there are heavy plastic sleeves that you can buy that will protect it in a similar fashion (see here: http://smile.amazon.com/PLASTIC-PROTECTIVE-SLEEVE-8x10-PHOTOS/dp/B000ESUL3Y/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1461608225&sr=8-16&keywords=plastic+sleeves+for+pictures).

I have one of these for taking the boardgame poster to ponymeets and it works perfectly!   Keeps it safe and flat. I would recommend this.  Plus, it shows the poster on the backside too  :)    There's no going back after lamination.  Even with the flaws you mentioned, I'd say it's worth at least $20-30, possibly more for someone who really needs it.   

I think this is the right size if I remember (24" x 36")
http://www.amazon.com/24X36-Poster-Topload-Holders-Plastic/dp/B00G2J22CC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461613296&sr=8-8&keywords=24%22+plastic+sleeve+protector+poster

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:42:43 PM by ashlyne »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
Definitely a frame or something non-permanent if you can. You never know when you might want to move it out and it's hard to know the long term effects of laminating on something like that.

(Amused at the idea of laminating the baby pony xD)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »
If you want to preserve it, don't laminate it. Lamination is NOT a protective measure for paper and is considered damaging. Here's a link with more information: http://www.archives.alabama.gov/officials/conservlamin02.html

And here's a quote from the link: Most often the adhesives used in lamination are also acidic. These factors combined with the heat used in this process act to speed up the acid reaction of the document or book page causing progressive deterioration and eventual embrittlement. Therefore, heat-seal lamination is ultimately extremely harmful to records. It is only appropriate for material with a short life expectancy and should never be applied to documents of historical or intrinsic value.

A picture frame is a much, much better alternative. It will keep the paper protected from the elements but will not damage it and, if something happens and you need to fix the paper, you can always remove it from the frame. If you don't want to hang it on your wall and want to store it, instead, there are heavy plastic sleeves that you can buy that will protect it in a similar fashion (see here: http://smile.amazon.com/PLASTIC-PROTECTIVE-SLEEVE-8x10-PHOTOS/dp/B000ESUL3Y/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1461608225&sr=8-16&keywords=plastic+sleeves+for+pictures).

Holy cats, that is good to know! I didn't realize there were protective sleeves that large, and knowing that the laminating might actually HURT it, I'll avoid that option. Thank you all for your advice, it probably saved a piece of my childhood!

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 02:21:03 PM »
On a similar note, I've some of Enterplay's G4 posters (The nearly 2ft x 3ft larger sizes). What's the best way to preserve a poster this size? I didn't know about the issues with lamination until reading this topic.
Usually I have these laminated and attached to a cement wall with those command strips. I live in a basement, and its rather difficult to attach a frame to a cement wall.
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 05:21:06 AM »
I would still recommend something like this (there are other sizes too, and discounted bundled lots on ebay if you need a bunch)
http://www.amazon.com/24X36-Poster-Topload-Holders-Plastic/dp/B00G2J22CC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461613296&sr=8-8&keywords=24%22+plastic+sleeve+protector+poster

They aren't lightweight though, so I'm not sure how you would hang them on a brick wall.  If you have a ceiling tile type ceiling, you might be able to hang them with fishing line up against the wall.

Offline Ionn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Horse Shaped Object Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »
Usually I have these laminated and attached to a cement wall with those command strips. I live in a basement, and its rather difficult to attach a frame to a cement wall.

3M make Command Strip products that will hold up to five pounds. My sister & I have used various types to hang framed pictures on different (& in my case, uneven) surfaces without any sort of disaster.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal