collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: TRU's Changes: 16.99 Zecoras & New "Brony" Wallet Labeling  (Read 3674 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
TRU's Changes: 16.99 Zecoras & New "Brony" Wallet Labeling
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:05:13 PM »
What's up with Toys R Us Lately?
Zecora started at 9.99, which I felt was really reasonable for her. She's usual brush-able size, but in that big fancy box and she glows too...so rather than the about $5 for a 'usual' pony, 10 dollars seemed really reasonable.

Then, they raised her to 14.99...there were posts on here about it.
That was too steep in my opinion, because it's DOUBLE the 7 dollar price for a brush-able pony.

Now, I went to Toys R Us this weekend and she's SIXTEEN 99!
I couldn't believe it! She just goes up up up, when is this price rollercoaster going to stop? When that tiny pony is as much as a talking light up Celestia? It's also incredibly dissapointing because I have a penpal who wants one, but not this ripoff pricing. Is she like that everywhere? I was kind of hoping for a coupon, a sale or a BOGO to take the edge off Zecora for my penpal but it totally backfired when they jacked the price up yet again. What can I do? They're going to be so dissapointed.

Unrelated:
Then, if you search MLP at the TRU website you can see their new pony wallets. I kind of like them! I'd get either DJ Pon3 or Rainbowdash one...but notice how they label them as "BRONY". It's like they are kind of figuring out that there are 2 crowds for ponies, and trying to label things accordingly. I'm not sure what to make of it, but it's kind of interesting.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: TRU's Changes: 16.99 Zecoras & New "Brony" Wallet Labeling
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
I know its sad to see that price going up. When there is a big hype about something the price will go up cause they know people will pay it. The stores are all money greedy hungry.  And I have also seen that brony stuff your talking about.

The prices are going to get up higher the closer we get to christmas. Then they have a sale and the price is down to what it normally was before the jacked it up.

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 07:28:58 PM »
My Zecora was that price, but I got her free with the deal at the time..
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »
I too thought $9 was a great price for a special pony.  And I agree, $17 is way over the top for one pony.  I haven't bought Zecora yet because all of the Zecoras I've seen have had horrendous paint jobs.  Smeared stripe paint, stripes missing patches of paint, etc.  And I have yet to see a Zecora that didn't have misplaced eyes!  I am not paying $17 for a pony with wonky eyes.  I won't even pay $5 for that. 

I really expected better from the "Collector's" line.  If they're pricier, make the toys nicer.

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »
j got her at 9 and i saw those wallets in store thy are not worth their price

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:46:52 PM »
I know- I thought $10 was about right for her as well but it just keeps climbing. I found my first one just this last weekend and I've been looking every weekend at 3 different Toys R' Us and this is the first one I've seen. On top of that I got harassed by some guys who arrived at the same time as me- They were looking for her as well. They stared complaining loudly when she wasn't on the shelf while I started moving boxes and checking behind everything and found one someone had stashed. They tried to get her from me but I told them no and recommended they ask someone working there if there were any in the back. Instead they decided to follow me around in hopes that I would put her down. I bought her from my swap buddy even if she was a bit pricy- I will probably pass on getting one for myself till her price is more reasonable, or there's a sale~

(I do want to say that have a few friends who are Bronies and have had mostly good experiences with them- these two just happened to be rude and I believe how hard she has been to find in my area is mostly to blame.)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
WOW! They were acting like that over a plastic pony!!!!  That is just crazy and sad at the same time :(

I also have a feeling they might of been the ones that hid it or someone did it for them and called them.  And to follow you around the store.......creepy  :shocked:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:55:15 PM by avene1984 »

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:20:42 PM »
Yikes, wait for a sale or something, they have them quite regularly for MLP. I got my Zecora for $15 but it was BOGO free so I got a second for a friend. It's supply and demand, and the demand is crazy high.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline medleysong

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »
I picked up a wallet for my son's brony friend but seriously, not worth the money. They are SUPER cheap, very poor quality. You are just paying for it being pony related and having brony labeling on the package. However, his friend was so happy it didn't matter.

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
Huh... so weird about Zecora's pricing. She's still 12.99$ in Canada (which is the same price she's always been with our mark-up).

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 09:32:19 PM »
I picked up a wallet for my son's brony friend but seriously, not worth the money. They are SUPER cheap, very poor quality. You are just paying for it being pony related and having brony labeling on the package. However, his friend was so happy it didn't matter.

People will buy anything with a pony printed on it, even if it poor quality. Hasbro has realized that Bronies are going to be their main source of income for now, hence all the Brony licensed stuff recently. I don't really care about all the merch, I just mainly want brushables!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »
I never thought they'd pretty much cater to bronies so much. :/  I mean, that's good for them. But I want much brushables like most people here. What about their toy line? They need to keep making NEW, not just them main six over and over.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

steampunk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 05:34:50 AM »

Dang it - saw this and thought "yes, present shopping for my brother-in-law is done!" But I'm not getting him something cheap. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Maybe etsy has Brony stuff.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »
Popularity...TRU and Hasbro are like any other money making commercial giants. Right now the product is literally flying off shelves and selling out online - any selling manager or supply manager looking at stock and analysing purchases will have a product like this flagged as such Hasbro could have decided to raise the supply price [although that's unlikely] or they could have mutually agreed to a higher RRP.

In addition Christmas - prices always go up prior to the biggest sales period so that in the "sales" afterwards they are discounted down to what was the pre hike price.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline thatg33kgirl

• Geek Pony
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • MOC Mimic
  • TGG
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »