collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What drew you to MLP?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Re: What drew you to MLP?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 01:50:05 PM »
I liked horses so naturally I was drawn to these toys. I guess that is what started me into collecting and playing with them as a child of 8. I loved watching the cartoon so seeing the conection between toy and tv. That made me want to spend all my allowance money on them.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »
I'm not sure what I just like it. I have never been a horsey person. I have always liked cats much better. I think it might be because the fantasy aspect because while I'm not a horsey person, I do love unicorns and pegasi.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 07:09:45 PM »
As a kid, I was probably drawn to Wind Whistler's colors and texture.  She was my first pony and the one I loved best.

As a collector, I'm mostly drawn to their bright colors.  The scented ones also garner my attention.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline QueenNatalie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • /insert edgy song lyric here/
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 07:17:40 PM »
My mom bought me one when I was like 1 or 2 years old, and I just haven't stopped collecting them since! :)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 07:32:32 PM »
Kid, honestly no idea. my grandmother said I lectured her in a store when I was two correcting her as to what a pegasus was when she pointed and called it a horse at Sears. My mom's friend's daughter gave me two when I was three I had with me everywhere. LOVED the idea of flying ponies, unicorns magic and castles. I was also one of those kids who has an image of another girl's massive pony collection seared into my brain. I was visiting my aunt, and my cousen had to take me with him and they pawned me off on the sister. She showed me the toy room. ponies galore, playsets, carry cases bursting with ribbons and pony clothes and pony papers. it was heaven. I wanted that. I didn't get it until I had my own money and ebay as an adult. I maybe got a pony for Christmas or my birthday and even then I really had to beg and plead once I was over the age of 5. my folks just didn't understand how much a pony meant to me.

As an adult, the style, hasbro art (backcards and checklists) and colour palettes. It was a line with a lot of thought and details right down to accessories and each year having a palette (some years got a little more "meh, we need another set- what gimmick can we use?). they're so cheerful and bring me to my happy place, so when you have a high stress life or work it's a nice way to unwind and can still be cheaper then wine. haha.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »
As a kid, I'm too young to remember, but I think it was largely coincidence. I've said it before, but my mother walked past a pillar in BHS and saw all these rainbow ponies adorning it. She decided they were pretty, and they were not too expensive, so she bought one. She liked Windy best, so it was Windy.

That was Christmas 1984, and I was almost 3.

I wasn't hugely fond of Windy at first. She didn't stand up right, and I had other toys I was really into, like Fraggles. But my birthday is February, and Mum thought, well, let's try one more. She saw Baby Blossom, and was really impressed by all the accessories she had, because she was also not very expensive and money was tight then. So I got Baby Blossom for my 3rd birthday.

And that was it. Baby Blossom had TOYS. And she and Windy matched somehow, so it was like a Mummy and baby with toys to play with situation.

I only had a handful to begin with. I have a pony comic (MLP and Friends, #1) which has a questionnaire in it. One of the questions is "who is your favourite pony", and I've written in my own handwriting, "Shady". I also wrote I had 8 ponies, and was aged 5, so I assume she was pony #8. I usually made my newest pony my favourite, although I was a bit obsessed with Shady. She was SO BRIGHT (the movie star one is way brighter than even a deflocked SS) and her hair was so vivid I was convinced it glowed. It's the only reason she didn't go the way of Cherries Jubilee in losing her curls...I did nothing to them because they were so magical O.O.

When I had my own pocket money to save up, when I was about 5 or 6, I had a few more. I used to get them as gifts at Christmas and birthday, either from parents or from grandparents acting on parents' advice. Then we'd go, sister and I, with our Christmas or birthday money, and choose a pony. I rarely found the pony I really wanted from a set, but it didn't matter. Having a new pony was still exciting :D.

So I don't know how it began, really, but I'm glad it did. Mum had no idea what she was beginning, though :)

I'm quite impressed how clearly she remembers getting Windy, even now. It's a memory I don't have, so I'm glad she had it to share with me :)

As an adult...I wasn't really one. I was 12 or 13. I had put my ponies away when I started secondary, but missed them and still played with sister and hers (sister is 6 years younger). They weren't selling them in stores any more, so Mum and Dad took us to the carboot sale. That was 1995 and we found Lickety Split and Parasol. It began from there :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:48:40 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 08:28:44 PM »
I was also one of those kids who has an image of another girl's massive pony collection seared into my brain. I was visiting my aunt, and my cousen had to take me with him and they pawned me off on the sister. She showed me the toy room. ponies galore, playsets, carry cases bursting with ribbons and pony clothes and pony papers. it was heaven. I wanted that. I didn't get it until I had my own money and ebay as an adult.

Same here. My mother's best friend's daughter had her own room under the roof of their house, filled with every playset available, and over 100 ponies. She had a whole city built there, no need to ever clean it away because of storage issues. She even had PE even though it wasn't available in stores in Germany. The story was that they saw a display in a shopping mall and she begged and threw a tantrum so they ended up convincing the store manager to sell it to them. It was paradise to go there and play.
I "only" had about 30 ponies and the beauty parlor.
Now I'm into my 600s, and I have PE. Grail.

Offline Rainbow Revolver

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • An actual dog!!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »
I was drawn to FiM when it was first airing because some of my artist friends were watching it. I learned that the mane 6 were based on older ponies and I decided to check them out and was soon hooked into collecting the G1 ponies and I still am!!

3DS Friend Code: 0619-4155-8870

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 11:23:02 AM »

I don't know ... they have always just been a toy I loved and cherished. I never truly "grew out" of them, just put them away for a few years. Then when I was about 18, I discovered Ebay. That was it really ...

This is me except I'd say I discovered the Internet, or rather I started to have access to the Internet, and I discovered that there were people out there collecting ponies and that there were so many more ponies made that I never knew of.

My first pony was Medley when i was about 4 or 5 so '84-'85?  I always have been horse crazy.  And I also love fantasy, so mlp really is just up my alley.

I also love the treasure hunt.  I love finding ponies "in the wild" and finding great deals.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:39:01 AM by Sunset »

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 11:37:43 AM »
As a kid, it was the original cartoon airing on the Disney Channel.  Wind Whistler in particular caught me attention.

Ironically, it was the original cartoon that caught my attention as an adult as well as I ran across videos of it on YouTube and started a binge watch.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 11:39:43 AM »
I can't recall what drew me to it. I remember watching the cartoons on weekday mornings before preschool or kindergarten (sometime between 1987 & 1989).

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »
I loved playing with G1s at school as a child. (I didn't like playing with human dolls, just ponies!)
When the G3s came out, I was drawn to the pretty colours and the idea that every pony had a unique symbol and personality.

And then I came back when G4s came out with the show!
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »
Well, I was pretty dang little, but apparently MLP was a few dollars cheaper than SSC, so since we liked those just as well- that is what my mom switched to.  I didn't pick out my toys as a kid.

Now of course I love ponies because they are just so appealing.  Part of it is probably nostalgia- but who WOULDN'T love a pastel colored pony/unicorn/peg with a sweet face and lots of hair to brush?

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 04:09:43 PM »
When I was a little kid I always wanted a real pony. My parents didn't have the funds or patience for taking care of horses (considering I live in a city), and so to make up for this my mum always used to buy me little toy ponies to love.
I had all varieties, but I always loved the My Little Ponies that I got in particular. Maybe I could sense quality over fakies and so I always preferred them~
Anyways, I grew up in the 90's and so I started out in G2. I still have all of my G2s except my favorite (ironically) being the original G2 Magic Motion Sundance. I loved that toy, and I have no clue where she went. I need to replace her...
After a hiatus of awkward years I started buying the G3 ponies, but I ended up falling out of it since I preferred the look of G2 to G3 and I wasn't into ponies as much as I wanted.
Then G4 happened and I am obsessed again. However, I only have a handful of G4s. Most of them are the earlier ones like Blossomforth and Snowcatcher, and I'll most likely sell them.

I collect only G1s, and I like them the best. I guess because they look the most like Ponies in real life (let's be real, G4 looks nothing like a pony). I might collect G2s again someday, but that's a long way off.
My Tumblr

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 08:04:44 PM »
My out-of-state grandma sent me Moondancer for my birthday when I was four or five.  I was totally unaware of MLPs before then, I don't remember seeing them in stores or commercials for them or anything.  I remember being very anxious as I watched my mom pry the card off with a butter knife in case the knife "cut" Moondancer's hair.  (Like a butter knife could do that, LOL!)

I know I loved horses when I was older, and I guess I loved them then too!  My mom made a note in my baby book saying I carried Moondancer everywhere for days after getting her, all the while repeating "At last, all my dreams and wishes have come true!"  :P
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal