collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What to do with semi-pricey ponies in poor condition?  (Read 993 times)

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with semi-pricey ponies in poor condition?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
Diamond - if you're mentioning that because I was gifted a Diamond Dreams a few months ago by SpottedSlug - this is not her. I just won this one off eBay. ;)

It better not be! I will find you and throw slugs at you. j/k... maybe...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »
Diamond - if you're mentioning that because I was gifted a Diamond Dreams a few months ago by SpottedSlug - this is not her. I just won this one off eBay. ;)
I had no clue to be honest, that was super sweet of her to send you such an expensive and sort after pony as a gift though.  Best of luck selling her then. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »
This poor sweetie arrived at my home a few years ago...

Sometimes, the worst looking ponies can clean up and be restored to their original beauty.  This lovely needed a lot of work, but it was a labor of love:).  I live for these kinds of ponies: the ones who need a caring home.

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »
Bahahah well, good guess then hun! :lol:

No way that beautiful DD is the one in my collection with MY MGR gals, and she's not going ANYWHERE!!

I just got... er... I would say "lucky" in getting her off eBay but, in her condition I'm only... ehhhh on how lucky I was. :lol:

But, I think I'll finish giving her my typical spa, minus any sort of indepth treatments such as sunfading and try to find her a new home where she can be loved and/or sit in a window for a while! :biggrin:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline ThriftyPony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Fakie Hideout - Fakie ID Guide & More
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
I am the type of person who will buy a HTF pony in poor condition. As long as they have a head and some hair they will still display well. I say just rehome her as is!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 03:33:34 PM »
I will be finishing her tonight, honestly other than her front leg and one small mark on her neck I guess she's not really all -that- bad. But, I appreciate the insight as my personal issue was that I was going to rehair her as I wouldn't think anyone would want her, but, you know, I have some ponies in sad condition that I wouldn't give up for anything, and I love them for their quirks, so, why wouldn't there be someone out there that would love DD just the way she is? :biggrin:

Thank you all for the input! I really appreciate it! :grouphug:

My Want List

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 04:28:51 PM »
this is my Hula Hula.

I won't be getting rid of her for a while, I'm FAR too attached... even though I have an upgrade in the mail. She's just grown on me since I've started working on her. Her mouth opens completely, and she has holes in her nostrils, eyes and ears, as well as a bunch of chew marks and her eyeshadow has been scratched off. Her symbol is in rough shape, and she has pen marks. But I'm keeping her! I love minty ponies, but I love baity ponies, too, and I love a challenge.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
Oh hey, California is nice and sunny! ;D And yellow ponies sunfade really easily, or so I've heard! She sounds like a good restore project for someone who wants a rare pony on the cheap! 

As far as rares in general - I'd vote on no customization projects (non-restoration I mean), unless the pony literally has already been stripped, with no hair, no factory paint, etc. If the pony even SLIGHTLY resembles itself, someone's going to want it, I can guarantee it. (The only difference here, IMO, would be if the pony was a variant that looked identical without hair, like reverse Gusty, but even then I bet someone would want the body!)  Heck, if someone was selling a Mimic for $10 with no hair and no paint - I'd take her! ;)

The only issue you'd run into, I think, is how much the pony is worth to you and how much it's worth to someone else. I've seen posts where people will be like, "if this doesn't sell at the price I want, I'm going to chuck it/take it to Goodwill," and that's their choice, but it's also a little demanding, you know? No, no one's going to pay $75 for a stripped Mimic. They might not even pay $25 or $10! So in that situation, I'd suggest making a trade - someone might have something you want that they don't want anymore, and they can trade for the manky rare-pony you have, and don't want to keep!

Ultimately, banged-up ponies are a lot of fun to own and show off, IMO, especially the rare ones. ;) This is a pony I purposefully bought (at an inflated price for a bait no less!) because she is one heck of a crazy pony to look at, and she's a lot of fun to photograph and show off!

Om nom nom, Starburst are my favorite!

AND, as a final caveat to all of this - your pony, your decision. Your rehairs are lovely, and if you'd prefer to own an alternately-rehaired version of Diamond Dreams, then you should do it! You bought her with your money, she's not community property. ;) But if you are looking to sell her, I would recommend keeping her in her 'original' state (or as close to it), since that will make her worth more money, just based on my own observations. So feel free to take or leave any/all of my advice, ultimately I'm just giving suggestions, because she's your pony! Do what makes you happiest. :heart:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 06:25:31 PM by Snapdragon »
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
Oh hey, California is nice and sunny! ;D And yellow ponies sunfade really easily, or so I've heard! She sounds like a good restore project for someone who wants a rare pony on the cheap! 

As far as rares in general - I'd vote on no customization projects (non-restoration I mean), unless the pony literally has already been stripped, with no hair, no factory paint, etc. If the pony even SLIGHTLY resembles itself, someone's going to want it, I can guarantee it. (The only difference here, IMO, would be if the pony was a variant that looked identical without hair, like reverse Gusty, but even then I bet someone would want the body!)  Heck, if someone was selling a Mimic for $10 with no hair and no paint - I'd take her! ;)

The only issue you'd run into, I think, is how much the pony is worth to you and how much it's worth to someone else. I've seen posts where people will be like, "if this doesn't sell at the price I want, I'm going to chuck it/take it to Goodwill," and that's their choice, but it's also a little demanding, you know? No, no one's going to pay $75 for a stripped Mimic. They might not even pay $25 or $10! So in that situation, I'd suggest making a trade - someone might have something you want that they don't want anymore, and they can trade for the manky rare-pony you have, and don't want to keep!

Ultimately, banged-up ponies are a lot of fun to own and show off, IMO, especially the rare ones. ;) This is a pony I purposefully bought (at an inflated price for a bait no less!) because she is one heck of a crazy pony to look at, and she's a lot of fun to photograph and show off!

Om nom nom, Starburst are my favorite!

AND, as a final caveat to all of this - your pony, your decision. Your rehairs are lovely, and if you'd prefer to own an alternately-rehaired version of Diamond Dreams, then you should do it! You bought her with your money, she's not community property. ;) But if you are looking to sell her, I would recommend keeping her in her 'original' state (or as close to it), since that will make her worth more money, just based on my own observations. So feel free to take or leave any/all of my advice, ultimately I'm just giving suggestions, because she's your pony! Do what makes you happiest. :heart:

:lmao: @ poor star shine :lol: I love the pic with the sweets. For some reason I just think it looks hilarious. XD
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »
I agree 100% with lunar

There's a lot if collectors out there who will jump at the chance to get a pricey pony with major flaws, to might be the only way they can afford it!

Do a minimal clean up/restore and then sell her at the reduced value. Any sought after pony remains sought after even if they have some issues when it comes to condition after all :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Jemstar666

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
I'd happily have a picasso'd DD in my collection, I am sure my other MgRs would accept her the ways she is, til id have 1 week of uk sun and fade her lol. I love customs but seeing htf or expensive  ponies customised and not restored or left in well loved condition makes me sad  :( :cry:

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »
I immediately thought of the Honeycomb I bought, who I love! 
She's missing a bit off of one of her ears, has some black speckles and has a chunk (seriously) missing out of her NDS wing....

....but to me it didn't matter because it brought (what I considered) a grail pony down to a price that I could afford.  I'm thrilled to bits to have her with me!

Browsing the comments, I notice lots of people saying they're okay with non-fixable flaws, too!  I'd absolutely try to sell!  Someone will take them home and love them as is!! ^.^

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 12:57:13 AM »
I do like well loved ponies. I have several chewed up, stained, and otherwise baity ponies gracing my pony shelves. Like my tail-less Medley who is missing 80% of her symbols. I know she could be fixed up but for whatever reason I like her as she is :) I also have a Skydancer who is missing an ear and dotted with age spots. I'm looking for an upgrade for her, but will probably keep her on the shelf even after I find a nicer one.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 06:06:26 AM »
You guys are the best....and WOW :lmao: Starshine!! Donor wing pony huh? Poor baby!!

Well, I definitely am going to find a new home for DD without changing her or  customizing her or anything of the like... I really appreciate all the input, as well as all the stories! I LOVE hearing about how people keep sad ponies for this reason or that reason... as mentioned, I have a few of my own I would never get rid of that are in pretty sad condition, though I don't think any of mine can compete with Starshine!! :heart:

My Want List

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 07:45:04 AM »
If I'm selling (which I do rarely) I fix the pony up as much as I can without making major changes and sell it at a price that reflects it's flaws.

If it's for me, I fix it up based on what I like.  I fix the flaws that are really bothering me and don't worry about how that might affect the resale value later on.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal