collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has anyone ever tried to stop collecting?  (Read 7408 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever tried to stop collecting?
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
A little while ago I tried to stop collecting ponies. Even thought of selling them except for few that I really love. But... I can't do it! I just love the whole collecting experience and I love MLP! I keep telling myself that I don't need to spend any more money on plastic horses, but I can't resist it. They make me so happy and I just love getting that one pony that I've been after for so long! I adore them and I don't think I could ever part with them :) My attempt at ending my collection ended in buying more ponies!  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline BlueChaos

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever tried to stop collecting?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »
I have. I actually gave it up for 10 years.  Finding a couple of G1's at a yard sale brought it all back.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:56:54 AM »
I tried....didn't work. AT ALL

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:03:52 PM »
No, but I've burned out and stopped collecting for several years at a time. I always get the interest back. I learned my lesson from selling my old collection and regretting it that I should never part with my ponies again.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 12:08:41 PM »
I try to stop every month!!! but I can't XD

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »
No...I know you can never say never but I will hope its not something I would ever consider stopping doing - there is too much to collect or learn or discuss. Even after all these years its still lots of fun for me.

But I do understand that a lot of people feel the need to take some time out and it is possible to be pony overloaded.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »
Stop? But I haven't caught them all yet :P

At this point, I don't think I could really stop. I'm still having too much fun collecting. I'm sure I'll get to a point where my interest dies down and I stop for a while, but I don't think I'll permanently lose interest in them.

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »
Stop? But I haven't caught them all yet :P

*visualising Calico with a giant pony butterfly net*
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »
No.  :P

Actually, there have been months where I haven't bought any ponies (except the ones that I find thrifting) because I go through collecting "cycles."  But I haven't actually tried to stop collecting and I don't think I will, unless I completely run out of money.  It's too much fun.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »
I could maybe stop at some point in the future, but I'd never sell my entire collection again unless I needed the funds (even then I'd keep some).

Like others, I have sold off my collection in the past and regretted it.

Recently I haven't spent as much on ponies as I used to, mostly because my want list is down to the higher cost end and I can't really afford to splurge.

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »
I've stopped actively collecting for years at a time, but I always end up finding someone selling their G1 collection, and I get into it again.  I've only ever parted with a few of my G1s, other than my non-childhood doubles which I sell and trade.  I kept thinking my kids would play with them one day, and then I came to the point where they are too rare for the kids (and I would cry if they gave them hair cuts), so I started collecting G3s for them.  I might be on to G4s or G5s by them time I actually have any kids who are old enough for them.

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »
I did stop collecting at one point (well almost).

When I was 20 my life changed quite abit and thus my pony collecting interest faded. Or well, it didn't get prioritized anyway. I still picked up a pony here and there in the stores, but that was it. A HUGE difference from earlier when I religiously checked Ebay every day for good pony deals and bought several ponies online and every single one in the stores as they released new ones.

I never had a single thought about selling my collection though. Even if I were to stop buying ponies completely I could never part with the collection I cherish so much. I've had too much joy from collecting them and even if my interest were to completely fade away I'd still remember all the joy they brought me while aquiring them :)

It was actually only about a month ago that my pony collecting interest came rushing back to me to be honest. And I'm loving every minute of it, learning all about the new ponies, getting involved in the comunity again, re-learning everything I once knew about the MLP's, watching the old and new shows again... I think it's safe to say I will never cut ponies out of my lfe completely considering how much I'm enjoying everything around them :P
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 01:28:36 PM »
Haven't tried that with ponies yet but I have with my Lion King collection. Right when I decided I had plenty of Lion King stuff, I found the small Kovu and Kiara plushies at WalMart. =p Maybe I'll never stop completely collecting that either but it definitely has slowed down a lot.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »
I have, for the most part.   I rarely buy any MLPs anymore, though I am on a list for the Comic Con Ditzy Doo Hooves pony.   I still love the ones I have, but for a long time now I haven't had the desire to actively collect.   I've also been slowly selling off some, and I have not yet regretted it.  I love MLPs, and there are some I won't ever sell.  But I can see a point where I may stop buying altogether.   I enjoy my G1 ponies and my G2s, I have some nice G3s and a few G4 ponies I like.  I even have a couple of the G3.5 ponies too!   But yeah, I have essentially stopped collecting for now.    >> I may someday get renewed interest, I won't rule that out.  It's just at this point in my life I don't see any more active MLP collecting for a while.

-----

Is there some reason when I typed :muffin: Pony hooves it changed to Ditzy Doo..?   Has the one name been deemed offensive?  :what:

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
Nope. I always kept my collection close but i did have a couple of "breaks". One was at the end of the G2 era. I think that was mostly because back than i couldn't look up any kind of info and i was kinda collecting "on my own". Being part of an online community helps a lot when it comes to collecting. XP
The second time was around the core 7 era but that was because there really wasn't a lot in stores back than...(I still mostly buy my ponies in stores.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal