collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are these G3s babies or not?  (Read 404 times)

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Are these G3s babies or not?
« on: November 08, 2022, 07:56:21 PM »
I was always under the impression Mochanut and Dance Around weren't quite babies, but not quite adult ponies either... but My Little Wiki seems to think otherwise! They have unique non-baby poses, don't have the 'baby' before their name most baby ponies do in their generation, and again, are pretty well otherwise unique to the babies. What's your opinion? (Wish I could ask someone who worked at Hasbro during G3!! :lol:)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Are these G3s babies or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 08:23:39 PM »
I thought of them as tweens. :) I just corrected the page actually, since it kept reporting Honolu-loo was the only baby pegasus, but it sounds like that wasn't true. It's hard to tell. I think to the layperson, they'd both be babies.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline sweetstuff85

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 10:58:56 PM »
I sort of consider them the first tooth era of baby. Able to babysit new born twins but young enough not to be an adult, like the G1 cartoon depicted.

Offline xCharx

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 01:36:54 AM »
To me they seem like they would be maybe like 9,10,11 in human years, haha :)

The term 'baby' pony as used in G1 and G3 by Hasbro is actually quite wrong, right? Because the 'baby ponies' are more like elementary school aged kids. But, only after Hasbro made these G1 'kid ponies' and named them 'babies' they came up with even smaller ones.

'Newborns' who are more like actual babies/toddlers, and 'Teeny Tiny ponies' who are more like actual newborns.

So the naming was kind of lagging behind all the time :')

(EDITED because I wrote primary school where I meant elementary school, mistake because I'm not from US)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 12:06:21 PM by xCharx »

Offline dragglereeka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 03:22:52 AM »
Looking at the box artwork on the sets, they seem like older children. Also I think there is mention that the ponies are siblings not parent and child?
There's not a lot of box art to compare it with the regular  G3 babies since a lot of them were sold with adult ponies or playsets, and didn't get their own little description on the back.
Which is a shame because I love knowing a bit about the pony's personality/hobbies !

*Thankyou to Strawberry Swirl for my avatar*

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 07:11:50 AM »
They're babies because they're on baby poses and proportions. Too young to be like SHS.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 08:43:16 AM »
I always just thought of those two as "little sister ponies". :B

Online TheClassCalico

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 11:01:55 AM »
I cannot help but interpret all of the G3 baby ponies as young children rather than babies, but these two are maybe a little older. (The average baby pony is maybe 4-7, these are perhaps 8-11, or whatever the pony equivalent is).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 11:05:44 AM by TheClassCalico »

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 11:15:20 AM »
Yep, my G1 Babies are in primary 1-4 or elementary school, with the G3 Babies a bit younger. These two would be a bit older, just starting middle school or primary 5-6, alongside the G2s, Dabble & Scribbles, & the HQG1C wingless flutters.

They were definitely sold as sister sets, with the smaller Ponies being younger sisters to the older ones. All my G3 "adults" are high school/ college age (secondary 3-6 & college/uni). But that's just how I make my Ponyworld
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 08:54:30 PM »
They're 'tweens' in my mind - if regular G3 babies are like 4-6 I imagine Mochanut and Dance around are like 10-12ish?
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 07:35:02 AM »
i guess the “Baby X” moniker started in G1. Even in G1 i wouldn’t say the size and shape of “Babies” are actual baby ponies size, more like “Yearling”? Baby Applejack is a bit easier to say than “Kid Applejack”, “Applejack Jr”, “Yearling Applejack” or “Applejackette”?  so i see why they went with Baby. i bet they didn’t imagine they’d be going to newborns or teeny tinys some day!

anyways i love MLP “Babies” no matter the gen.  but i love the G1 Twins the. very. most.

personally i call my Honolulu , Baby Honolulu because of her size but that’s just me.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 01:31:42 PM »
To me "baby ponies" aren't literal infants, they're more like young kids.  So yeah, I would count those two as baby ponies.

If you look at real horses, they can do so much more than a human baby, like running through a field the day they're born.  So I guess it makes sense that a "baby" pony has the ability to reason and talk very early on.  Even in the backcard stories of the Newborn Twins, they can talk and a lot of times are wandering around on their own.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 03:21:20 PM »
They are their own unique class of "little sister."
G1 had a ton of subcategories under the umbrella of "baby pony." From just baby to newborn to teeny tiny newborn.

To me "baby ponies" aren't literal infants, they're more like young kids.  So yeah, I would count those two as baby ponies.

Exactly how I feel

I sort of consider them the first tooth era of baby. Able to babysit new born twins but young enough not to be an adult, like the G1 cartoon depicted.
Also this ^

I wish they had made more. I loved that adolescent in between size. G3 was a wonderful generation for color variations but they never went far enough with the body variants like G1.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 07:27:31 AM »
What bugs me about G3 is that there's quite a few lovely "different" body molds, like these little sisters, that they only used once or twice! I would kill for more sister G3s. Or more baby pegasi!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 08:29:26 AM »
What bugs me about G3 is that there's quite a few lovely "different" body molds, like these little sisters, that they only used once or twice! I would kill for more sister G3s. Or more baby pegasi!
Adding the need for more Unicorns in G3, AGAIN, because I had to Customise a Dance Around & a G3 Baby to get that size in unicorn AT ALL!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal