collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 412294 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2025 on: March 20, 2020, 01:45:38 PM »
yeah I feel like Jebber must have been a typo that didn't get caught in time? It's the only thing that makes sense to me. Bunkie sounds like a region-specific sort of thing (I think it's cute, too).

Sticky and Sniffles on the other hand... :X Gross.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2026 on: March 20, 2020, 02:26:55 PM »

On the name subject...I think it's sad more UK people don't use the UK G1 names, even though the UK had far less name repetition than the US. I can understand why for people who came into G1 as adults, but not so much the ones who grew up with G1 as kids.
I'm not sure why the ones who grew up with it don't do this, as you'd think they'd be the first to do this...

I get stick for this but as far as I'm concerned they've sold out ;)

In seriousness, it makes sense if you come to it as an adult as the ID websites are laboriously US-centric - but if you grew up with something...yeah, I don't get it at all. And I do find it sad, because it's a piece of UK pony heritage basically being abandoned and lost.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: March 20, 2020, 06:28:44 PM »
Regarding US names, my favourites are Molasses (because who wants two Gingerbreads???) & Pina Colada. My least favourites are Bunkie (just yeuch), Sweet Stuff (Sweetie's far better anyway) & all their repeats. The earth newborn twins wi the pink bodies & the seesaw accessory will always be Tuggles & Toddles to me (the blue-haired one is male as Newborns don't show gender differences yet). I do have reasons for using the names I use, & in 3 cases I use both, but the second goes on a Custom Twin:

UK name: Trucker. US name: Four-Speed. To me the Custom Twin gets the US name

UK name: First Base. US name: Slugger.

UK name: Tracks. US name: Steamer.
I didn't do Tug as Salty is already another Pony (Sea Sparkle Baby Sea Pony).
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: March 21, 2020, 08:05:34 AM »
This is slightly off topic but because Woolworths imported the Candy Canes in US boxes and sold them here (all six) while the four set were being sold in other places, Molasses is technically a UK name as well. I actually have an Xmas list from when I was a kid which says Candy Cane Molasses on it, although I had no recollection of this name when I came online and it's not in the comics. Most of my ponies came from Woolworths so my only explanation is that I saw one on the shelves. I didn't get her so it remains a mystery - but CC ponies (including Mint Dreams and Lemon Treats) are confirmed as imports here. So we can claim that name.

I agree, it's the only US variant name I give any credence to because it avoids a repeat.

Your customs are cute :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: March 21, 2020, 09:34:22 AM »
New opinion. As a dutch person i don't care about the dutch exclusives.
They just aren't really appealling to me and very pricey for soemthing I don't want.
Good for others, just not for me.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: March 21, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »
I’m not into the mint package. I prefer to hold the pony and take pictures of her.

Agreed, and for this reason I would never buy a vintage MIB pony!  I'd be way too tempted to take her out, which would probably horrify some collectors.

I vastly prefer loose ponies over MIB ones, though I appreciate MIB collectors and MIB items. A MIB Merry Go Round pony came into my possession once. I loved her. I love MGR ponies in general and dont see them come up for sale often. I didn't have her in my collection yet and toyed with deboxing her for about a year before deciding against it and selling her here MIB. Anyway, I still don't have her in my collection. :/

Merry Go Rounds are gorgeous! Too bad Hasbro is too cheap and lazy to do it again these days.

Could you have imagined MGR G3s?! :frolic:
Merry Go Rounds are among my favorites! I'd die if they had made them for g3

Ooooo, G3 MGRs would be awesome!  I wonder if anyone ever made a custom like that? I don't remember seeing any but that doesn't mean they don't exist!
I'm fairly certain I've seen customs like that in the past, but its been a long while!
Edit: found them! https://www.deviantart.com/woosie/art/Merry-Go-Round-ponies-Set-2-203225055
Oh my gosh those are gorgeous!  Thanks for finding them and sharing!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: March 21, 2020, 03:44:46 PM »
I’m not into the mint package. I prefer to hold the pony and take pictures of her.

Agreed, and for this reason I would never buy a vintage MIB pony!  I'd be way too tempted to take her out, which would probably horrify some collectors.

I vastly prefer loose ponies over MIB ones, though I appreciate MIB collectors and MIB items. A MIB Merry Go Round pony came into my possession once. I loved her. I love MGR ponies in general and dont see them come up for sale often. I didn't have her in my collection yet and toyed with deboxing her for about a year before deciding against it and selling her here MIB. Anyway, I still don't have her in my collection. :/

Merry Go Rounds are gorgeous! Too bad Hasbro is too cheap and lazy to do it again these days.

Ooooo, G3 MGRs would be awesome!  I wonder if anyone ever made a custom like that? I don't remember seeing any but that doesn't mean they don't exist!
I'm fairly certain I've seen customs like that in the past, but its been a long while!
Edit: found them! https://www.deviantart.com/woosie/art/Merry-Go-Round-ponies-Set-2-203225055
Of course!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: March 21, 2020, 06:01:07 PM »

Of course!
Great find of an adorable pic!!! Wonder if Woosie is on here???
This is slightly off topic but because Woolworths imported the Candy Canes in US boxes and sold them here (all six) while the four set were being sold in other places, Molasses is technically a UK name as well. I actually have an Xmas list from when I was a kid which says Candy Cane Molasses on it, although I had no recollection of this name when I came online and it's not in the comics. Most of my ponies came from Woolworths so my only explanation is that I saw one on the shelves. I didn't get her so it remains a mystery - but CC ponies (including Mint Dreams and Lemon Treats) are confirmed as imports here. So we can claim that name.

I agree, it's the only US variant name I give any credence to because it avoids a repeat.

Your customs are cute :)
Cheers Taf xxx I like them too.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: March 22, 2020, 01:36:20 PM »
We only had 3 of the six sets, but those we did have had different names in the UK. Albeit whether they are any better...
Jabber and Jebber = Tickles & Giggles
Speckles & Bunkie = Fleecy and Fluffy
Sticky and Sniffles = Tuggles and Toddles.

On the name subject...I think it's sad more UK people don't use the UK G1 names, even though the UK had far less name repetition than the US. I can understand why for people who came into G1 as adults, but not so much the ones who grew up with G1 as kids.

I do like those names better. I don't know a lot of the UK names that were used--it would be cool if there was a database somewhere that compared the UK vs. US names--but most of the ones I have heard have seemed more appropriate somehow.

Post Merge: March 22, 2020, 01:41:05 PM

In my opinion Jebber could have been named "Jibber" so that set of twins could have made the phrase "Jibber-Jabber" (meaning talking so fast, you don't understand - though I may have also heard it to mean "talking nonsense".)  I also googled "Bunkie" and the only thing I found (though I didn't search for long) was that it could be slang for a bunk mate - nothing to do with Speckles whatsoever as far as I can see, and when I search for both words, I just get the ponies.  I even tried searching "Safety Pin" (as in their symbols) with each name to see if I could find significance, but no.

But yeah... the names you mentioned in general aren't the best, in my opinion either.

I'm not sure why the ones who grew up with it don't do this, as you'd think they'd be the first to do this...

For me, (I came in as an adult) I tend to lean to the US names, because that's what I discovered them as, but I may choose the names I prefer out of the two for my project, or even compromise, like I planned to do for the canon names and the brony names in G4 (though if I recall correctly, only two G4 ponies really kept my "compromises" - and Hasbro compromised with "Lyra/Heartstrings" the same way I was going to anyway.)

I'll have a look through what the US/UK names in G1 are, and see which I like better, or if there are anyways to use both if I choose to in writing - for example, Sweet Stuff was called Sweetie in UK, but that's an easy one to compromise, as "Sweetie" could easily be Sweet Stuff's nickname anyway.

I agree, Jibber and Jabber would have been more appropriate, and made some sense. And the safety pin on Speckles and Bunkie didn't help to give any clues, either. It's like someone at Hasbro asked their 3-year-old their opinion on naming them.

Post Merge: March 22, 2020, 01:51:48 PM

The pony name that always gets me is Woosie. :lol:  I always picture a drunk or sick pony. Sometimes I think Hasbro came up with some of the pony names at the company cocktail party.

I grew up in the US so I didn't know the UK had different names for ponies until I joined the Arena but I try to use both names if I know them like Princess Tiffany/Pearl Sguarberry/Strawberry Fair etc..

Ponyfan

I had never heard of Woosie before, and I had to look her up. I like her color scheme, but man, that name! It made me remember this letter I wrote to Hasbro when I was 8 or 9, complete with pictures I drew of ponies that I thought they should make, and one of my creations was a set of twins by the names of 'Tipsy and Topsy' (I think I was trying to go for Topsy-Turvy or something?). Someone from the Hasbro team actually wrote back, sending my drawings back and explaining that they weren't permitted to use my ideas for legal reasons, but that she was sure that I was a very creative child and would maybe someday pursue working for a company like Hasbro when I was grown up, or something like that. My mom read the letter and looked at the drawing, and started laughing...she explained that 'Tipsy' meant drunk and my letter probably got a few laughs in the staff room.

So maybe I'm the pot calling the kettle black in the naming department, but hey, I was like 9!

Post Merge: March 22, 2020, 01:57:33 PM

I think "Bunkie" refers to Bunkie beds/boards used in baby beds.  In the 80s the term was used more often in the US.  At least, where I lived it was common.  I think the name is cute.

I did hate when Hasbro reused names.  Baby Gusty got robbed.

Now that you say that, I think I have heard the term 'Bunkie boards' before in reference to the skinny little box springs that go under bunk beds. I can see it being cute if it were paired up with a more relevant twin name.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:57:33 PM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 22, 2020, 05:09:44 PM »
I think flamingos are tacky as a decoration, (I like them IRL) but after getting Tropical Breeze and drooling over Fair Feathers I want MORE Mingo Ponies!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: March 24, 2020, 02:06:02 PM »
I think flamingos are tacky as a decoration, (I like them IRL) but after getting Tropical Breeze and drooling over Fair Feathers I want MORE Mingo Ponies!
Ha I love their tackyness. But I want more flamingo horses too!! So pretty. <3

Anyway, for unpopular opinion, (I cannot remember if I've said this yet) I prefer Cherry Treats discolored. I think she's pretty a true white sure, but we get a lot of that color scheme! She just rocks the tan imo

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #2036 on: March 25, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »
Maybe not really about ponies, but something that annoys me is the use of numbering variants from the mlp wiki.  Like "this is Italian Blossom variant nr 3" in sales posts and such.  It's not like they have a distinct official number on which one is which, they just happens to be numbered that way because of the appearence on a list. :P

Aand, I think Tic Tac Toe is a very underrated pony. Especially the baby. I mean, look at the colours in her mane and tail! I love that colour combo!
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #2037 on: March 25, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »
Aand, I think Tic Tac Toe is a very underrated pony. Especially the baby. I mean, look at the colours in her mane and tail! I love that colour combo!

I 100% agree with this! I've loved Tic Tac Toe ever since I was little <3 I adore how bright and colorful she is!

I love Bride pose ponies, especially the Color Swirl set. Also the Teeny Tiny Newborns (they're so small and so cute! They fit right in my palm!). I noticed lately that this is a bit of an unpopular opinion >u<

Also this is probably a super, super unpopular opinion but I actually love the way ponies look with heavy regrind. I mean the full-on polka-dotted ones. It just looks so neat to me!

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: March 25, 2020, 09:23:17 AM »
A seller citing wiki for a Nirvana pony - or a non US pony for that matter - is basically telling the buyer that they did one 10 sec google search and probably don't know a lot about the item. On the other hand...they cared enough to do some research, which imo makes them better than the scourds of mlp rare name unknown listings that still pollute the internet.

Tictactoe is an awesome pony.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: March 25, 2020, 05:16:22 PM »
Maybe not really about ponies, but something that annoys me is the use of numbering variants from the mlp wiki.  Like "this is Italian Blossom variant nr 3" in sales posts and such.  It's not like they have a distinct official number on which one is which, they just happens to be numbered that way because of the appearence on a list. :P

I wouldn't call Tic Tac Toe underrated. She's fairly popular.

She's been eluding me for a long time. I love her!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal