collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Were you a monster lover before Monster High?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
Re: Were you a monster lover before Monster High?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
I didn't realize you wrote horror. I thought it was more fantasy/sci-fi. Ooh, love to hear more about your horror stories!

I write fantasy too - but horror is my true love! I'll e-mail you some of my ookity-spookity stuff if you like. :D

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 07:05:46 PM »
Never been into the classic monsters but monsters in general, yep. From Scooby-Doo (I know they're not usually real monsters but still) onwards. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday and creepy movies and tv shows. There was a book series about the universal monsters becoming real that I regret never getting to finish. For awhile I was into vampires, esp. with Buffy but I was over it before Buffy was. Werewolves became a love when I discovered World of Darkness Garou novels (again a series i did not get to finish! grr at not having bookstores nearby >.<) and eventually ended up creating my own werewolf mythos (not as advanced and in-depth as my dragon mythos) So these days my love of monsters is also in a sci-fi/fantasy context rather than true horror.

I am much much more of HUGE NERD than people know >.>

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 07:42:22 PM »
I didn't realize you wrote horror. I thought it was more fantasy/sci-fi. Ooh, love to hear more about your horror stories!

I write fantasy too - but horror is my true love! I'll e-mail you some of my ookity-spookity stuff if you like. :D

Sure. Is it monster related? hehe

Ravie - Totally forgot about Scooby Doo! I just started watching a show on Netflix called 'The Gates'. It's about all these werewolves and vampires and witches that live in a gated community. Apparently it was cancelled after one season. Has anyone seen it?

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »
ALWAYS!!! even when I was 8-9 (if you get past my Scooby-Doo obsession...Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School anyone?! LOVE!!!) I loved horror films (Night of the Living Dead, Jaws, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween) and ghost stories, teen wolf. I was obsessed with the Ann Rice vamps back in grade school. Zombies, Vampires, Werewolves, Ghosts and whats not to love of Frankenstein?
when MH came out I was instantly in love with the concept ^_^

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »
Favorite movies for each monster??

Vampire - Interview with the Vampire
Werewolf - The Wolfman w/ Anthony Hopkins
Mummy - The Mummy w/ Brendan Fraser
Frankenstein's Monster - Abbot and Costello meet same! hehe
Demon - Beowulf 2007!! does that count? lol

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
 i LOVED monsters. vampires especially, way before twilight. (twilight killed it for me) i used to go ghost hunting with my friends long before ghost hunters came on tv. i loved it all. ghosts, zombies, witches, vampires, the whole package. back when people thought it was weird. but now it just feels pointless to embrace it because its a fashion trend. but i can't get enough of monster high. i have to feed my hunger for monsters. (funny thing is, i loved all these things but if it came down to a ghost movie or something like that, i would have nightmares and lose sleep for weeks!!! lol!!!!!) but i couldn't get enough!

Post Merge: October 11, 2012, 09:29:25 PM

Yes indeed! I've been reading monster novels since I was 14-ish. Love the old Universal monster movies, and love the old TV shows like Dark Shadows, The Addams Family, and The Munsters too.

Have you tried Anne Rice's werewolf novel, The Wolf Gift? I haven't read it yet, but I've head good things. Anne's sister, Alice Borchardt, also wrote some werewolf books as well. The Silver Wolf, Night of the Wolf, and The Wolf King. I read these, and I enjoyed them immensely

i loved the munsters and adams family. i also remember renting "The lost boys" and "dracula 2 ascension" from the movie store. after about the 50th time if renting it, they asked me why i didn't just buy a copy and save money. they sold me one of their copies and i had to hunt down the other. best vampire movies ever. hands down. i remember in 4th grade i read dracula. it was the first time i ever really read anything about vampires, and after that book, i was sold. best book i had ever picked up. i was glued to it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:29:25 PM by Varkolak »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 09:48:45 PM »
 You name it from monsters to fantasy/sci-fi creatures as well as horror I was into it(and still am lol )..I started reading Stephen king when I was 11 going on twelve and I loved the nightmare on elm street movies. Loved the lost boys,Monster Squad(wolfmans got nards lol)The swamp thing,Young Frankenstien, Bram stoker's Dracula,Critters,Beetlejuice,Legend Interview with a Vampire and so on. Really there is just too many to list.. I think that the Monster High in a sense is a cool way of bringing back the original monsters..:)
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 10:05:53 PM »

Sure. Is it monster related? hehe

Ravie - Totally forgot about Scooby Doo! I just started watching a show on Netflix called 'The Gates'. It's about all these werewolves and vampires and witches that live in a gated community. Apparently it was cancelled after one season. Has anyone seen it?

I tried to watch it, it just wasn't very well written or well-acted so i didn't eve get through the first ep

a couple of years ago on hulu (before the greatness of netflix CHANGED MY LIFE) there was another 1 season canceled show that I'd never heard of before "Wolf Lake" and It. Was. Awesome! Unfortunately I think they tried to air before the Twi-tard horror craze. But still, it was pretty good.

OMG Jenn77 Monster Squad! I totally forgot about that movie. I haven't seen it in years but I used to watch it over and over whenever it would come on some channel or other.

Also, werewolf fans, Big Wolf on Campus was agreat hokey comedy that I would also devour when it came on.

Man, now I wish I could find some of this stuff and watch it XD I just about watched everything I deem watchable on netflix while i work. Need new stuff!

so yeah....i've been a monster fan for awhile >.>

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »
I just remembered that I watched a couple of anime series that are kind of MH-ish. One is Vampire Knight, which I liked so much I ended up getting the manga as well. And the other is Rosario + Vampire. That one I think is the most like MH since it's about a boy who accidentally gets sent to this school that happens to be a school for monsters & demons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_Knight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosario_%2B_Vampire
Those were the first 2 things that came to mind when I came across MH!! I was like: "This sooo reminds me of Rosario + Vampire, but without the part where the monster students eat normies."

As for me, I was aware of the monsters before MH, like I acknowledged them and knew their background but never saw their actual films or read the literature where they came from. Never really knew why, thinking about it now. >,<;
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 11:15:53 PM »
Oh yes!

I grew up in The Vampire House, essentially. My dad was a big horror buff, and he raised me with the whole history of monsters-in-film-and-literature, all the old Universal films. Vampires were his favourite, but I saw a lot of the old Universal monsters too, plenty of non-vamps. Not just the 'monster' monster movies, but also old Ray Harryhausen work, either sci-fi or action adventure, with these great stop-motion creatures...

And I also grew up appreciating not only the power monsters have to scare us, but the ability we have to empathize with them. There are monsters who make us laugh, certainly, but also ones that make us feel. King Kong, where 'twas beauty killed the beast. The Wolfman, where even a man who's pure in heart and who says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Monsters can be powerful and frightening, or they can be lonely and hunted. They can be an Other, and they can be Us. There are so many stories to tell and so many ways to tell them.

Offline Mori_LeStrange

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 01:08:21 AM »
I've always loved monsters. My dad is a big classic horror and monster movie fan. So he taught me well.  :P I grew up watching Tales From the Crypt, Ghostbusters and pretty much every Tim Burton film ever made at that point. I was the kid that wished she had a monster hiding under her bed so she could make friends with it.  :biggrin:

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 04:35:40 AM »
Acd: wow you worded that perfectly! Now I see the monster within me!!! Hehe

Offline WildBlue

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 05:18:45 AM »
YES! I did love monsters before Monster High. Werewolves are also my #1 favorite monster.
My #2 favorite is the Aliens and Predators. Yeah they share a spot because they are just so darn scary awesome!!
But I do like how Monster High makes the monsters so fashionable and cute. I have been thinking about doing an Alien inspired Monster High custom one day. MMMwwwaaahahaha!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:20:18 AM by WildBlue »

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 05:38:02 AM »
I have always had a fascination with the otherworldly!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 05:52:01 AM »
Yep.  The main reason why I fell in love with Monster High is because they were children of classic monsters, then they expanded that and basically made up monsters which is cool too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal