collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 531
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Ball Jointed Dolls- Thread #3  (Read 78941 times)

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
Re: Ball Jointed Dolls- Thread #3
« Reply #885 on: December 31, 2015, 05:37:10 AM »
I have a Big Dipper set on layaway and he/she should be paid off in March. ((thanks TwistedRiver for helping me order!)) I'm getting the default faceup/blushing... I don't have the skills to do my own and I'm too impatient to save up the funds to pay someone to do it. XD If I could, I would have had one painted like the default but in shades of purple instead... but the blue ones I've seen on google image search are gorgeous as well.
I've been really paranoid about what the stringing/posing will be like when it arrives though... I'm rethinking my plans on getting it new eyes now after hearing how tricky it is to change them.

I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's fantasy dolls. :D I love all the non-human ones... I wish the thread for them hadn't died.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 31, 2015, 06:21:36 AM »
I have a Big Dipper set on layaway and he/she should be paid off in March. ((thanks TwistedRiver for helping me order!)) I'm getting the default faceup/blushing... I don't have the skills to do my own and I'm too impatient to save up the funds to pay someone to do it. XD If I could, I would have had one painted like the default but in shades of purple instead... but the blue ones I've seen on google image search are gorgeous as well.
I've been really paranoid about what the stringing/posing will be like when it arrives though... I'm rethinking my plans on getting it new eyes now after hearing how tricky it is to change them.

I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's fantasy dolls. :D I love all the non-human ones... I wish the thread for them hadn't died.

Yay!!  I hope your Big Dipper will be gorgeous, I bet it will.  Owner pics I have seen look great!

I will say that I saw a video on YouTube about someone hot glue sueding their Big Dipper for better posing.  I bet you can find it!  I am already looking into other eyes, I don't think I will want the dark red looking default color they seem to come with.  I don't think it will be hard to change.  The inside of the flower on the back of the head comes off, easy eye access.  Just need to remove the putty and eyes and then put the new ones in.  You can even adjust what direction they face.  :)

I also love the animal dolls!  I wish there was a larger following for them, as they are the BJDs I like most!

Emerald

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #887 on: December 31, 2015, 06:24:37 AM »
I also love the animal dolls!  I wish there was a larger following for them, as they are the BJDs I like most!

I wish more people were into the animals, too! It's hard to find a lot of stuff about them bc they're not super popular.

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 31, 2015, 06:44:50 AM »
Wystearya: I have both Wendy and a Eudora! I haven't actually ever taken any photos of my Eudora, I've been waiting to buy some backdrops for that, but I'll snap an in house pic for you later! I love the resin quality. Beautifully smooth and the white skin takes colour so well. When the stringing is done correctly, Wendy's posing is amazing. DZ is known to do bum stringing, though. I was rreally lucky and got a really nicely strung one, but I have a friend whose Wendy was super kicky and couldn;t do anything with her at all and she had t retsring and even then had to suede and wire her. My Eudora's posing is a tad limited because of her engineering, and I expect BigD will be the same. The knees don't move inward so much, just a tad, but enough to strike a pose. The BigD's are known to be strung well, though. I don't think many have had problems with them? So, I think you should be good on that end. And if you're painting him yourself you'll have to restring anyway, so it's no big deal. I will warn you that the stringing is a bit more complicated for the BigD and Eudora types so pay attention when unstringing him. Their heads are really deep and narrow so hard to get the eyes in. Make sure you got a Q-tip on hand for eye positioning. UM, and I think that's it? But, yeah. I really love DZ's resin! It's hard to explain, but it's some of the nicest in my bunch. I even like it better than my Fairyland resin, the company everyone goes bonkers for, haha.

Thank you so much for the reply and info!

I did see that someone (it may have been in the video about hot glue sueding BigD) had replaced the S hook inside the head with a C ring.  I may very well do the same to help with the eyes and posing.  I may try the hot glue sueding also, but I will have to see about that. 

I am a touch worried about the stringing, as I don't even know what to get..  Like elastic?  And what kind?  I plan to take pictures as I go, and label where I can so that I put BigD back together correctly!

I'll be excited to do the faceup!  I know it will take some time and patience, but it will be worth it! (I hope, lol.)

Post Merge: December 31, 2015, 06:45:39 AM

I wish more people were into the animals, too! It's hard to find a lot of stuff about them bc they're not super popular.

Which is sad, because the more I find I see that there are some amazing animal BJDs out there!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #889 on: December 31, 2015, 10:32:33 AM »

You mean the fully animal ones, not just the anthro ones?  I have an otter, but I don't think she's really an animal BJD in this sense, lol.  I would love to get one of the little dachshunds though.  I have two weenies of my own and would love to get one for my dolls too.  :)

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Emerald

« Reply #890 on: December 31, 2015, 11:01:32 AM »

You mean the fully animal ones, not just the anthro ones?  I have an otter, but I don't think she's really an animal BJD in this sense, lol.  I would love to get one of the little dachshunds though.  I have two weenies of my own and would love to get one for my dolls too.  :)

I mean both! I'd love to see your otter. I had no idea there even was an otter BJD!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #891 on: December 31, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
Most of my dolls are anthros of hybrids of some kind, so I'm totally drawn to fantasy dolls. There's so many beautiful ones out there <3

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 31, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »
I like the animal bjd but I'm not a huge fan of anthro bjd. But it's a personal preface. The only anthro I've liked it Nodivision Charlotte and I've seen others and haven't liked them as well.   

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #893 on: December 31, 2015, 12:24:43 PM »

I mean both! I'd love to see your otter. I had no idea there even was an otter BJD!

Lutra is my otter.  She was my first BJD when the only other doll I had was a Pullip.  She will actually be turning 5 on January 25th!

:lovey: :lovey: :lovey:

I have others that have animal parts (hooves, bunny legs and ears, unicorn horns, centaur bodies, and the like), but she's my only one that's really an animal I guess.

Emerald

« Reply #894 on: December 31, 2015, 12:27:04 PM »
THAT IS THE CUTEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN I AM SCREAMING

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #895 on: December 31, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »
She's pretty stinking adorable.  :lovey:  She has a cute little magnet tail too!  She's a Pet-Ari Dalsoo, made by Doll Factory.  I actually got mine on eBay for $75 with her original box, pillow, and certificate, but she was a super lucky find.  :)  This is where you would find her brand new:  http://www.edollfactory.com/shop/step1.php?number=601.  They also have a freaking adorable little unicorn!

Emerald

« Reply #896 on: December 31, 2015, 12:50:09 PM »
She's pretty stinking adorable.  :lovey:  She has a cute little magnet tail too!  She's a Pet-Ari Dalsoo, made by Doll Factory.  I actually got mine on eBay for $75 with her original box, pillow, and certificate, but she was a super lucky find.  :)  This is where you would find her brand new:  http://www.edollfactory.com/shop/step1.php?number=601.  They also have a freaking adorable little unicorn!

Ooooh I like a lot of the "pet" dolls on there! Thank you for the link! Even new the prices seem super super reasonable.

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #897 on: December 31, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
I think so. And I love the quality of mine. :)

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 31, 2015, 03:46:20 PM »
The pet dolls are so cute. My daughter has almost only non-human dolls.  She's actually selling her Doll Factor Lolo now.

Offline Phynix

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I am the Gypsy Tigress
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phynixcaskey.org
« Reply #899 on: January 01, 2016, 12:09:33 AM »
I've not done a faceup before, but I did a lot of research.

I plan to use Testors Dullcoat as the sealant.  I also plan to get some quality watercolor pencils.  I keep reading tips and tutorials, I want to feel prepared! 

Thank you for the warning, I would hate to ruin an expensive item like this!

-----------

Your centaur looks awesome!  What supplies did you use?

He is sealed in full with MSC original as I bought a few cans the last time we imported it. The majority of him is done with high quality chalk pastel. Make sure there is no oil, it discolours the resin! And water colour pencils from staediler. And I use Reaper Acylic Minature paints as they blend well with water, and the flow improver, they are bright and vibrant and come in a lot of premix colours and it is easy to control colour ratio with the eye dropper bottles. So I can mix paint and then get close to the same colour if I need to re mix. It also works with my airbrush so that is what I use.

Also the string in them is an elastic that is braided with threads around it. I have a whole bunch of sizes if you want me to show you mine? And most dolls come loose so hot glue suading is a good option as is tightening the elastic in them. They often come loose to prevent damage. My Cuprit can stand on one leg after we tightened her elastic and Hot Glue suaded her.

If you need help with them pm me I would be willing to sit on skype and talk you though ANYTHING you need.

My Cuprit, her name is Eavan, on one foot.

And her crouching.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:13:44 AM by Phynix »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal